Game Day JLT R1- Bulldogs vs Hawks @Mars

Remove this Banner Ad

As stated very small sample size, but we improved in every aspect on 2017, by a fair bit as well.
Except for Hit Outs, Clearances, Inside 50's, Tackles, but you are
right the connections going forward worked at times and we were
more efficient. 20 x Hit Outs is a massive concern when you have
to employ defensive tactics in the midfield and at stoppage. I am
sure our heat map was hot around defensive fifty as they
bombed it in a little leading to lots of turnovers. I love the
bravado, but two sides always take the field, look deeper.

Except for Hit Outs, Clearances, Inside 50's, Tackles, but you are
right the connections going forward worked at times and we were
more efficient. 20 x Hit Outs is a massive concern when you have
to employ defensive tactics in the midfield and at stoppage. I am
sure our heat map was hot around defensive fifty as they
bombed it in a little leading to lots of turnovers. I love the
bravado, but two sides always take the field, look deeper.
Sorry I wasn’t clear, but I was talking about improvement in those stats I mentioned.

As I talked about earlier in this post, football today is about interceptions in the back half.

So this is why we are seeing Easton Wood and Dunkley forward, why we want it in Suckling JJ dale and Daniel’s hand for that last kick forward.

When we are going at 61 % Inside F50 then 43 IF50 is enough, this means we aren’t getting repeat entries because we are scoring better once IF50.

As I talked about earlier in this post, football today is about interceptions in the back half.
I get your point and i am not having a go or anything, but
Hawthorn tried a quicker ball movement game plan with
their uncontested marks at an all time low which can lead
to lots of intercept marks when they get it wrong it can
and did also lead to their big forwards getting crappy
match ups when we turned it over. Roughead and the
ever legendary Schoenmakers kicked 5 goals 4 behinds
from 15 kicks and Roughead was the 4 behinds. This
was not a showcase for contested football at all which
is hardly surprising given their 16th and 17th rankings
in 2017.

Top Ten Hit Out Totals in 2017 (+ Origins)
1: Sam Jacobs 996 (Traded) 25 games.
2: Patrick Ryder 831 (Traded) 22 games.
3: Shane Mumford 802 (Traded) 21 games.
4: Stefan Martin 770 (Traded) 22 games.
5: Brodie Grundy 714 (Drafted) 20 games.
6: Ben McEvoy 712 (Traded) 22 games.
7: Jarrod Witts 682 (Traded) 18 games.
8: Zac Smith 675 (Traded) 21 games.
9: Matthew Kreuzer 665 (Drafted) 21 games.
10: Billy Longer 656 (Traded) 17 games.

Dogs Top Two (Yeah)
20: Jordan Roughead 246 (Drafted) 13 games.
21: Tom Campbell 233 (Drafted) 7 games.
So 20 games combined for 479 Hit Outs placing
them in fourteenth ahead of Max Gawn 466
who only played 13 games.

8 of the top ten rucks (Traded) or 80% interesting.

Was at the game. Would agree with most of what's been said.

Cordy - is a concern one on one. Too easily pushed off the ball by Gunston and Roughead and cost two or three easy goals in the first quarter. Worked his way into the game but needs to work on improving his strength if he's to be a genuine KPD.

Williams - really like this kid. Finds the footy, hard at the contest, good overhead. Reminds me of an early Brian Lake with the brain fades. Stomp those out and we've got a solid HBF.

Wood - looked lost up forward IMO. First game so will be interesting to see how this pans out. With Morris out he could be needed in defence. Potentially a very handy swingman.

Crozier - everything he was drafted for. Composed, good skills, great in the air, creative. Great signs early.

Trengove - took a while to settle into the game. Once he did was a very important presence around the ground, particularly in marking contests. We've been lacking a bit of mongrel from a tall. We've got that with this guy. And handy with ball in hand.

Bont - more than handy marking target up forward when there. Reckon we'll cover stringer's goals with Bont, JJ, Dunkley and Trengove all resting forward, and potentially Wood. Forward setup looked much more dangerous and capable of kicking a score than last year.

Honey / Jong - depth at best. Poor decision making, too often put teammates under unnecessary pressure.

Macrae - great to see him hitting the scoreboard. Possible AA in 2018.

McLean, Dale - will lock in best 22 this year if they haven't already. Add much needed class inside and out, and entering F50.

Ruck / Key Forwards - Starting to see what Bevo is doing. Finally. The days of a traditional lumbering ruck may be over. We'll see three KPFs / Rucks play each week this season and rotate the ruck. Possibly four. Rough, Trengove and one of Boyd, Schache or English. Red may struggle to get games. Hitouts are an overrated stat, possibly outweighed by the ability to wear down opposition rucks and hit the scoreboard. That goal of Schache's in the third is an example of how big rucks like McEvoy will struggle with a mobile three ruck / KPF setup.

Generally, the team looked much more cohesive and playing for each other, like 2016. Wasn't expecting that given the new guys. They looked to have settled well. Realise it was a practice game but very positive energy that was sorely lacking last year. If this is what's to come we should make the eight quite easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you. And what will I get from you for such an accurate prediction of our beloved Doggies capability to make the top 6?

A heartfelt congratulations?

Lol what to u I want?? As I’ve said several times I’m very undecided how we will go, leaning towards not great but I’d like to watch the next JLT and see how we line up

The coaches have said plenty of times they see Cordy as a defender and was only played up forward in 2016 as a stop gap.

So unless there is a massive change I wouldn’t be holding your breath to see Cordy forward again

The coaches have said plenty of times they see Cordy as a defender and was only played up forward in 2016 as a stop gap.

So unless there is a massive change I wouldn’t be holding your breath to see Cordy forward again
If i remember rightly we tried hamlbing forward where he failed miserably then swapped him with cordy

If i remember rightly we tried hamlbing forward where he failed miserably then swapped him with cordy
Hambling never played for us. Hamling played forward at the Geelong game, not good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back