Preview JLT Round 1 - Gold Coast vs Western Bulldogs - Sunday March 3, 7:40pm in Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Honest question, who would Brodie displace at the moment in the current healthy 22? Given he only plays mid?

He has to kick out one of these guys to play IMO: Fiorini, Swallow, Miller, Miles, Bowes.

I like Brodie too - but I'm not sure he displaces any of those guys yet. The one thing he does have is height, and that would give our midfield a different dynamic. As it is we're carrying one guy already in that starting midfield who can't play anywhere else other than inside mid (Miles). I'm not sure we can bring in another.

It's up to him to really smash the door down I guess.

Honest question, who would Brodie displace at the moment in the current healthy 22? Given he only plays mid?

He has to kick out one of these guys to play IMO: Fiorini, Swallow, Miller, Miles, Bowes.

I like Brodie too - but I'm not sure he displaces any of those guys yet. The one thing he does have is height, and that would give our midfield a different dynamic. As it is we're carrying one guy already in that starting midfield who can't play anywhere else other than inside mid (Miles). I'm not sure we can bring in another.

It's up to him to really smash the door down I guess.
He played better than Bowes and Miller in pretty much all his AFL games last season. Miller seems locked into the side and there have always been huge internal expectations for Bowes but honestly I think Brodie provides more upside than either of them.

He played better than Bowes and Miller in pretty much all his AFL games last season. Miller seems locked into the side and there have always been huge internal expectations for Bowes but honestly I think Brodie provides more upside than either of them.
Really? Agree last year he was performing better, coming in at a time when Bowes and Miller had been bashed around a bit. But in terms of going forward I'd still have Touk and Jack above him in the pecking order.

Really? Agree last year he was performing better, coming in at a time when Bowes and Miller had been bashed around a bit. But in terms of going forward I'd still have Touk and Jack above him in the pecking order.
Bowes potentially but Brodie has already proven to be a big accumulator, he was top 10 for average centre clearances in the competition last season and imo has a Josh Kennedy type ceiling - has a 5 game stretch of 24 disposal average and he was a large part of the reason we beat Sydney last year. He's a player we should be getting AFL time into because he has more upside than a large chunk of our current midfield.

I also am concerned to hear that the coaching staff would refuse to give good game time to player because he 'challenges and speaks up, not sooks'. There should be input from players - it's valuable. I understand the players understanding the gameplan and their roles is important but Brodie's defensive work last season was just as good as any of our other midfielders. His tackle numbers were solid and it's concerning that he isn't getting a game.

Bowes potentially but Brodie has already proven to be a big accumulator, he was top 10 for average centre clearances in the competition last season and imo has a Josh Kennedy type ceiling - has a 5 game stretch of 24 disposal average and he was a large part of the reason we beat Sydney last year. He's a player we should be getting AFL time into because he has more upside than a large chunk of our current midfield.

I also am concerned to hear that the coaching staff would refuse to give good game time to player because he 'challenges and speaks up, not sooks'. There should be input from players - it's valuable. I understand the players understanding the gameplan and their roles is important but Brodie's defensive work last season was just as good as any of our other midfielders. His tackle numbers were solid and it's concerning that he isn't getting a game.
Hard to argue with any of that. Just gotta cross fingers and hope that he gets some game time!

Dew definitely refused to give good game time to players because they challenges him and spoke up last year.

For me it a huge problem that Dew need to change or he won’t see the year out.

If he’s still sooking it’s up and not picking players that challenge him and the other coaches he will never be a successful coach.

It’s sound like he runs and hides from conflict instead of facing it head on

Team seem to be on the outside at least seem to be united and happy with everything going on.

Brodie seems to be the exception to this. Also probably not happy his best mate was turfed out last season as well.

Dew has hand picked and brought in new coaches and staff this year. I would assume he would listen to them otherwise what's the point?

Team seem to be on the outside at least seem to be united and happy with everything going on.

Brodie seems to be the exception to this. Also probably not happy his best mate was turfed out last season as well.

Dew has hand picked and brought in new coaches and staff this year. I would assume he would listen to them otherwise what's the point?
We don’t know if what has been said about Brodie is true or not so let’s not throw him under the bus.

What we do know 100% is that Dew does have a problem with people challenging him and that is very concerning

Being on the outside (way outside) looking in, I tend to agree with kreglze that there seems to be a very happy unit in 2019. And IF Brodie is having a few problems with the Coaching staff then he needs to address that problem, and sort out an answer, and let the Coaches attend to the other 98% who all seem to have bought in.

We don’t know if what been said about Brodie is true or not so let’s not throw him under the bus.

What we do know 100% is that Dew does have a problem with people challenging him and that is very concerning
Oh of course not, we don't know if the Brodie thing is 100%, this was all on the proviso if what being said is truthful.

Just out of curiosity, where is it written/said Dew had a problem with being challenged would be interested to read it?

Being on the outside (way outside) looking in, I tend to agree with kreglze that there seems to be a very happy unit in 2019. And IF Brodie is having a few problems with the Coaching staff then he needs to address that problem, and sort out an answer, and let the Coaches attend to the other 98% who all seem to have bought in.
it's all just speculation let’s not throw Brodie under the bus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.....that's why I posted IF.......because I have no idea if there's truth to it or not.

It’s from Thurls plus it backs up what we have seen ourselves and what doesn’t seem to add up.
Remember that draft night when we got Ainsworth Scrimshaw Brodie and Bowes and people were using them as profile pics and all excited about how they were going to be our future.
How’s that going now?

Oh of course not, we don't know if the Brodie thing is 100%, this was all on the proviso if what being said is truthful.

Just out of curiosity, where is it written/said Dew had a problem with being challenged would be interested to read it?
There was a few articles written about players having problems with Dew and his game plan and team selection after last season then Barlow talked about it in a few interviews on radio after he was let go.
I’ll try and find them.

This is one I still had screenshot
043DDDBA-6F67-48FE-8CF9-69FB2103D76D.jpeg

Last edited:
it's all just speculation let’s not throw Brodie under the bus
If we're not throwing Brodie under the bus, maybe we shouldn't throw Dew under either.

I think for the role Young is playing, Young brings a lot more to the table than Brodie would. then again I guess I'm a bit against Brodie as i get a bit of an egotistical 'I know best' vibe from the bloke, kinda the same as Hall. (nothing to base it on mind you, just gut feel)

Bit worried Powell might have a Jack Watts moment :(
Apparently I can pick them :p - From June 28 Last year

If we're not throwing Brodie under the bus, maybe we shouldn't throw Dew under either.

Apparently I can pick them :p - From June 28 Last year
Would love to but the stuff about Brodie is just rumor and innuendo and the stuff about Dew is true it’s from the players themselves.

The good thing is we don’t have to wait long to see if Brodie get picked for round 1

There was a few articles written about players having problems with Dew and his game plan and team selection after last season then Barlow talked about it in a few interviews on radio after he was let go.
I’ll try and find them.

This is one I still had screenshot
View attachment 629594
Thanks for that. Hopefully the players are now on board, or at least seeing that the game plan can get results after 2 (all be it) pre-season wins.

Would love to but the stuff about Brodie is just rumor and innuendo and the stuff about Dew is true it’s from the players themselves.

The good thing is we don’t have to wait long to see if Brodie get picked for round 1
Players that all had pretty good reasons to s**t blame for their time at the suns ending and the reasons for that occurring. Dont get me wrong I dont think the Sun shines out Dew's rear. but I take the opinions of those watching their careers coming to an end with a grain of salt.
I mean its not like they are going to say "Yeah Dews a top bloke. I wasn't getting a game and subsequently was not offered a contract because i wasn't fit enough/didnt push hard enough into defense/Was too busy worrying about my personal stats" etc

RE: The Barlow stuff, I think Dew was (slightly) vindicated in his decision to let Barlow go with him not making it onto another teams roster, probably showing that his time as an AFL player had come to an end. Could he have done it better? Sure, that is something as a senior coach you need to learn, about giving bad news. Hopefully Dew has taken these lessons learned last year and with a new coaching staff he trusts, is applying it to this year.

There's been a lot of positivity emanating from the SUNS players over summer. Part of that may be because they all think they're a good chance to play seniors. Most of them either played seniors last year or are likely to think they're better than players who did. There's a challenge to keep the group united, when players are overlooked for the senior team. Dew & the other coaches somehow have to sell the message that it is in everyone's best interests for the senior team to succeed. We don't want blokes in the 2nds hoping the seniors lose or get injured, because it gives them a chance to get a game. I don't really know what is going on with Brodie, but I hope he knuckles down & earns his spot in the seniors through good performance on the field & off. It would be such a waste to have him in the 2nds all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back