Preview JLT Round 1 - Gold Coast vs Western Bulldogs - Sunday March 3, 7:40pm in Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticed the Dogs’ players seemed to target Benny a bit off the ball with hard bumps. One early was a fair way away from play, and Ben didn’t see it coming. Put him down for a little while there. Opposition must see him as a dangerous player for us.

R.e. Brodie ive also had it confirmed today that others are ahead of him on the pecking order and despite 3 different coaches he has struggled to improve in the areas asked of him. Also struggling to play any other role such as forward or back hurts his chances infront of selection committee every week. A see ball get ball type of player which isn't the approach the coaches are looking for.
As far as his attitude and questioning i cant confirm but the club is right behind him and wants him to succeed.
On last year's form, I think Brodie is our best inside mid. He lacks leg speed & there's room to improve his kicking, but he gets the ball & his hands are great. It doesn't look like he can play any other position, but he does show potential to get even better at what he does. I'd always play him in the guts & use Swallow & Miller in other positions more often.

On last year's form, I think Brodie is our best inside mid. He lacks leg speed & there's room to improve his kicking, but he gets the ball & his hands are great. It doesn't look like he can play any other position, but he does show potential to get even better at what he does. I'd always play him in the guts & use Swallow & Miller in other positions more often.
I think miles is our best inside mid and similar to brodie can only play inside mid. So i guess the real question is can miles and brodie play in the same side. I doubt it unless swallow, miller or bowes is missing.

What's Brodie's tank like? If he can get from contest to contest, get first hands on the ball and feed the ball out by hand, or boot it forward, that's a good start.

What should be worked on is the split second decision making, to bang it on the boot to clear the contest, or do I have time and/or the space to take a step, lower the eyes and deliver a kick to a target.

In their respective draft years, Brodie was much more highly regarded than Worpel who went to the Hawks last year. It's on both the player and the club to work on improvements to improve the players game, but you can only ask of the player what he's capable of.

I think miles is our best inside mid and similar to brodie can only play inside mid. So i guess the real question is can miles and brodie play in the same side. I doubt it unless swallow, miller or bowes is missing.
There isn't room for Brodie on the bench?

Is Ainsworth locked in to the midfield rotation? or his starting forward and rotating through the midfield?

Similarly, is Weller starting on a wing or hbf?

Is GHS in your best 22 and a long term team member, or is he more a developed body there to protect the younger kids while they develop?

I haven't seen Brodie play this year, but in the club's training videos, all I can tell is he looks stronger. On last year's form, I think he can play in the same side as Miles. Swallow & Miller would have to spend less time on the ball though. JLT2 would be a good time to test the idea. I think Brodie is too talented to just waste away in the NEAFL.

What's Brodie's tank like? If he can get from contest to contest, get first hands on the ball and feed the ball out by hand, or boot it forward, that's a good start.

What should be worked on is the split second decision making, to bang it on the boot to clear the contest, or do I have time and/or the space to take a step, lower the eyes and deliver a kick to a target.

In their respective draft years, Brodie was much more highly regarded than Worpel who went to the Hawks last year. It's on both the player and the club to work on improvements to improve the players game, but you can only ask of the player what he's capable of.

There isn't room for Brodie on the bench?

Is Ainsworth locked in to the midfield rotation? or his starting forward and rotating through the midfield?

Similarly, is Weller starting on a wing or hbf?

Is GHS in your best 22 and a long term team member, or is he more a developed body there to protect the younger kids while they develop?
Absolutely GHS is best 22 his flexibility, maturity and experience is essential to the side. Only 25/26 he will be there abouts still in 2/3 years time when we are pushing finals.
With so much stronger talent in the forward line and back line e.g rankine, lukosious, burgess, corbett, hanley, collins, murdoch, ah chee. Ainsworth and weller are forced into the midfield either onfield or bench. Quite simply there are at least 22 better players at the club then brodie at the moment. (Pending JLT2).

As for see ball get ball types of players you'll be wishing lyons had a bit more composure by the end of the season his DE% was the worst of our best 22 last year. Maybe the new rule changes helps him but he did my head in last year.

Absolutely GHS is best 22 his flexibility, maturity and experience is essential to the side. Only 25/26 he will be there abouts still in 2/3 years time when we are pushing finals.
With so much stronger talent in the forward line and back line e.g rankine, lukosious, burgess, corbett, hanley, collins, murdoch, ah chee. Ainsworth and weller are forced into the midfield either onfield or bench. Quite simply there are at least 22 better players at the club then brodie at the moment. (Pending JLT2).

As for see ball get ball types of players you'll be wishing lyons had a bit more composure by the end of the season his DE% was the worst of our best 22 last year. Maybe the new rule changes helps him but he did my head in last year.
Thanks for the reply.

Just on the bolded bit.

I'm interested to know what you think the Suns time line is for finals.

From a Lions perspective, since our 2016 draft, I've been saying 2020 or 2021 should be when we make the top 8. I have said on the Lions board that it takes 4 to 5 years for a core group of young talent to gain enough experience and develop their bodies and endurance to genuinely compete at AFL level.

Prior to 2016, we didn't have anywhere near enough top end talent on our list to get anywhere close to finals.

If you look at our 2013 draftees (Gardiner, McStay, Robertson, Cutler and Taylor) and they are all second round draft picks, plus Harris Andrews from 2014, it was only last season that they all really came in to their own and started performing consistently at AFL level. And of the six player mentioned, only Andrews and Gardiner are genuine A grade talent.

Our 2017 draft added more top end young talent to go with our 2016 draftees, that added to what will become our future core midfield. However our trade for Neale and trade manoeuvring during the 2018 trade period severely compromised our ability to add more elite young talent via the top of the draft to our future core. For me, this is a concern, because while Neale helps us win now, I'm not sure we have enough elite young talent to go deep enough in the future.

Originally I thought similarly of your 2016 draft (though I did believe Scrimshaw was over rated, and thought your draft should have been Ainsworth, Brodie, Florent or Simpkin and Bowes), that it would lay the foundation for finals a few years down the track. But with your talented player losses since, albeit over a few years, rather than one offseason, I feel like there's been a bit of a reset for the Suns, with 2018 now being that draft.

I will add, I do like your tall forward prospects much better than the Lions current tall forward prospects.

Thanks for the reply.

Just on the bolded bit.

I'm interested to know what you think the Suns time line is for finals.

From a Lions perspective, since our 2016 draft, I've been saying 2020 or 2021 should be when we make the top 8. I have said on the Lions board that it takes 4 to 5 years for a core group of young talent to gain enough experience and develop their bodies and endurance to genuinely compete at AFL level.

Prior to 2016, we didn't have anywhere near enough top end talent on our list to get anywhere close to finals.

If you look at our 2013 draftees (Gardiner, McStay, Robertson, Cutler and Taylor) and they are all second round draft picks, plus Harris Andrews from 2014, it was only last season that they all really came in to their own and started performing consistently at AFL level. And of the six player mentioned, only Andrews and Gardiner are genuine A grade talent.

Our 2017 draft added more top end young talent to go with our 2016 draftees, that added to what will become our future core midfield. However our trade for Neale and trade manoeuvring during the 2018 trade period severely compromised our ability to add more elite young talent via the top of the draft to our future core. For me, this is a concern, because while Neale helps us win now, I'm not sure we have enough elite young talent to go deep enough in the future.

Originally I thought similarly of your 2016 draft (though I did believe Scrimshaw was over rated, and thought your draft should have been Ainsworth, Brodie, Florent or Simpkin and Bowes), that it would lay the foundation for finals a few years down the track. But with your talented player losses since, albeit over a few years, rather than one offseason, I feel like there's been a bit of a reset for the Suns, with 2018 now being that draft.

I will add, I do like your tall forward prospects much better than the Lions current tall forward prospects.
You did not ask me but I will add some thoughts.

I believe the team needs min 30 but probably 35 players to compete for best 22, to provide depth.

Suns have great core of players 3-5 years in a system who should drive Suns into finals next (very optimistic) year or most probably in 2-3 years. Weller, Miller, Ah Chee, Bowes, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Mcpherson, Martin, Wright, Joyce, Brodie. 2 years players Powell, Ballard, Crossley belong into this core too and Powell and Ballard will play a lot this year already. I am also quite optimistic about 2 year Dawson, Heron.

This year draftees Lukosius and Rankine are special talent and will contribute already this year, King in 2 years. McLennan, Graham also look promising prospect in 2-3 years. Mature draftees Collins, Hombsh, Corbett, Burgess all look like a real deal and will be there in 2-3 as well as mature Swallow, Thompson, Witts, Sexton, Lemmens, Miles, Day even Murdoch, GHS.

Yes, some players may leave (Martin) but as Suns will show signs of improvements some good players will be attracted, a couple of great picks next year.

I actually think the most important for Suns is to create the best environment for talent development. Signs are this year that finally Suns have adequate personnel and resources in this area.

Regarding Lions.
Do you have enough core of 3-5 years players to take you the next step?
Witherden, Rayner, McCluggage, Andrews, Berry, Bailey, Hipwood.
Enough good mature players beside Neale, Zorko, Lyons?
Enough depth in 1- 2 years? In 2 years, Zorko on the way out, Rich probably gone, Robertson, Martin gone, is Smith his adequate replacement? Forward line - can Hipwood actually deliver? Is McStay a bust, and so on. Can some of your young talls develop and deliver?
Defence look slow - will Bailey, Cox establish themselves there.

Personally I don't consider Gardiner A talent. But yes, he played well last year.

I also feel that Lions tapped into free agency a bit too early. I would still had used best picks in last year draft.

Last edited:
GHS may be here in 2-3 years but I hope he is surpassed by younger more talented players by that stage.
Let's face it - he has pretty significant limitations to his physical ability.
Would love for him to still be here, solid fringe player who comes in when needed, always holding standards high. Enfield coach type guy.

We should be seeing Fiorini, Bowes, Brodie (helpfully), Rankine, Ainsworth, Miller, Weller, Swallow + another young mid drafted this year as the main midfielders

You did not ask me but I will add some thoughts.

I believe the team needs min 30 but probably 35 players to compete for best 22, to provide depth.

Suns have great core of players 3-5 years in a system who should drive Suns into finals next (very optimistic) year or most probably in 2-3 years. Weller, Miller, Ah Chee, Bowes, Ainsworth, Fiorini, Mcpherson, Martin, Wright, Joyce, Brodie. 2 years players Powell, Ballard, Crossley belong into this core too and Powell and Ballard will play a lot this year already. I am also quite optimistic about 2 year Dawson, Heron.

This year draftees Lukosius and Rankine are special talent and will contribute already this year, King in 2 years. McLennan, Graham also look promising prospect in 2-3 years. Mature draftees Collins, Hombsh, Corbett, Burgess all look like a real deal and will be there in 2-3 as well as mature Swallow, Thompson, Witts, Sexton, Lemmens, Miles, Day even Murdoch, GHS.

Yes, some players may leave (Martin) but as Suns will show signs of improvements some good players will be attracted, a couple of great picks next year.

I actually think the most important for Suns is to create the best environment for talent development. Signs are this year that finally Suns have adequate personnel and resources in this area.

Regarding Lions.
Do you have enough core of 3-5 years players to take you the next step?
Witherden, Rayner, McCluggage, Andrews, Berry, OBrien, Hipwood.
Enough good mature players beside Neale, Zorko, Lyons?
Enough depth in 1- 2 years? In 2 years, Zorko on the way out, Rich probably gone, Robertson, Martin gone, is Smith his adequate replacement? Forward line - can Hipwood actually deliver? Is McStay a bust, and so on. Can some of your young talls develop and deliver?
Defence look slow - will OBrien, Cox establish themselves there.

Personally I don't consider Gardiner A talent. But yes, he played well last year.

I also feel that Lions tapped into free agency a bit too early. I would still had used best picks in last year draft.
Not wanting to make this a Lions discussion. But talking about our 3 to 5 year players for the Lions.

Assuming you mean Bailey when you say O'Brien.

Charlie Cameron, Archie Smith, McInerney, Gardiner, Cutler, Taylor, Andrews, Hipwood, Mathieson, Cox, Skinner (if his knees hold up), McCluggage, Berry, Witherden. Add second year players Rayner and Bailey. Even though we didn't have an early pick last year, our first 4 picks all look likely types. Tom Berry and Tom Joyce were considered early second round possibilities before injury ruined their top age year. MacFadyen made U18 All Australian, and Ely Smith has looked good so far this preseason. All Lions fans believe we have enough of a core, the question will be, will enough top grade develop out of the younger players.

I know what your saying about hitting free agency last trade period. But it is what is now. Neale is a genuine A grade inside mid. Lincoln McCarthy has looked very good and an ideal partner with Cameron up forward. Lyons is what he is.

Not wanting to make this a Lions discussion. But talking about our 3 to 5 year players for the Lions.

Assuming you mean Bailey when you say O'Brien.

Charlie Cameron, Archie Smith, McInerney, Gardiner, Cutler, Taylor, Andrews, Hipwood, Mathieson, Cox, Skinner (if his knees hold up), McCluggage, Berry, Witherden. Add second year players Rayner and Bailey. Even though we didn't have an early pick last year, our first 4 picks all look likely types. Tom Berry and Tom Joyce were considered early second round possibilities before injury ruined their top age year. MacFadyen made U18 All Australian, and Ely Smith has looked good so far this preseason. All Lions fans believe we have enough of a core, the question will be, will enough top grade develop out of the younger players.

I know what your saying about hitting free agency last trade period. But it is what is now. Neale is a genuine A grade inside mid. Lincoln McCarthy has looked very good and an ideal partner with Cameron up forward. Lyons is what he is.
Yes, I meant Bailey. One of my favourite on Lions team, he was great late in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back