Game Day JLT Round 1 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Great hit out. A little bit frustrating to watch at times but it's pre-season.

We looked on top easily when the midfield had the usual suspects in there. Struggled a bit with trying to intergrate some of the newer guys like CEY, Ah Chee, Birch. None of those 3 can hold their heads up and say they had a position locking performance.

Finished the game out strongly, highlighting our strong fitness base.

Also no injuries, hurrah.

Good to get the first offical hit out done and dusted with no injuries that I'm aware of. Neale, McCluggage, Zorko, Stef, Rayner, Rich and O all played well. Quite a few of the boys looked like they were holding themselves back notably Cameron and Lyons. Not too much to take away from this game really. Some spots are still up for grabs for Round 1 I'd say but you'd think the coaches would likely rule out Smith, Ballenden and McFadyen who didn't show enough. Starcevich still a chance to land a spot and I wouldn't have thought CEY, Ah Chee or McCarthy would be feeling 100% comfortable. Still an opportunity for someone to steal their spot e.g. Bundy or Lester.

Good point. I reckon we're wasting a spot in the 22 by playing CEY. His disposal is average and doesn't do much else around the ground, which I base more off what I've seen of him over the years than just today.
Sounds a bit like a bigger Nick Robbo at least we knew he had guts and was a decent tagger. Don't want to be too rough on CEY after 1 pre season game tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when you said Starce was on him for one but not both what happened to the third?
Ah Chee was his direct opponent for all three. You shifted the blame off of Ah Chee for Motlop's goals by saying Starc was on him. Starcevich was present at the contest for one of them and applied direct pressure but Ah Chee was liable as his direct opponent and got caught away from the contest and lost his man meaning Starc and other defenders had to cover for him. It is a moot point though anyway as Motlop's goals mainly came as a result of the ease in which Port's midfielders got the ball forward to him. I'd like to see more of Ah Chee against the Blues. We've all made comments on individual players based solely off of today, myself included, however, I don't like to put to much weight into players performances in the pre season both positively and negatively. Cameron is a serial offender when it comes to cruising through pre season games. Come the season proper, however, he is always ready to go.

bit of a rusty game. No matter how Port flooded the middle. the down the line to a contest game over and over not sure it works.
I thought we brought in Birchall and Ah Chee to get the ball moving faster. break lines.

Be interesting what back 6 we take into round 1.
I say Answerth comes back in as a lock.
Rich, Gardiner, Adams, Andrews and say Answerth are locks.. Leaves 1-2 spots for Birchall, Witho, Starc and Ach Chee. 2 of those traded in.
I say Birchall has the best defensive game of the 4.
Berry be in the mix as well for a spot.. thought he did well

The good. Neale just continued on, Zorko was good, Rich "That goal", Andrews and Martin played well.
Hipwood and McCluggae had moments.
CEY rusty with the ball needs to release faster... you do notice he created space.

Found it interesting when Adams went off we put Ballenden in back line. Would off liked to see him forward and move McStay back.
Big O looks a lot more settled then Ballenden and rucks better. You do worry about Ballenden hitting packs..
Interesting McStay did more forward line rucking in first half..
Still not sure we can play 3 big forwards. I say McStay needs to improve as a few want his spot
McCarthy did enough although went quiet. Charlie did not have a great day although ball movement was crap.
Rayner looked fit just could not find it.
Add those 4 together and you notice why we lost as only Hipwood/Clugga kicked 3 goals each.

E Smith and McFayden got a run near the end. Hard to say
Not sure what happened to Berry. Rested second half?

See what happens next week against the blues.

Only 1 pre season game but may have to question whether our depth is quite as good as we thought?

We're like the third youngest squad in the entire league. Our depth has quality but plenty of inexperience there. Wouldn't stress all that much if Lester, Bundy, Answerth or Matho were to come in and replace Smith, Starcevich or Ah Chee. I think for how young the total team is we're pretty well placed.

CEY isn't going to be a star. He's going to be a battering ram, blocker and feeder from hard ball gets. I don't know what people are expecting? Worst I could say about him today is when he was given free space he looked slow and at times tried to do a bit too much but for the role we'll be using him I doubt that's going to be an issue.

Can't believe what I just saw. I am going to buy a membership this week just I can microwave it in disgust.

Edit: Didn't actually watch the game, I was working, but reading the posts paints enough of a picture, I'm sure they're accurate & not irrational & emotional over reactions at all.

Edit edit: I won't be buying a membership. Already have one & I won't be microwaving it.

I thought we were scrappy and made some basic fundamental errors. You have to be one touch at this level and we weren’t today and I also think we hand balled back way too much. Pleasingly there were signs of some good passages but they were few and far between. Only pre-season and expect things to improve but there were far too many passengers today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back