Game Day JLT Round 1 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts on McStay going back.

I have been to training a bit and some intra club games and I haven’t seen him training with the defenders at all this pre-season. So I think it is a big ask to all of a sudden throw him down back this close to the season.
Best chance of him going back would be if within a game, someone was injured and they needed another big fella down there.
He himself made the statement about 3-4 years ago that he wanted to play forward, so unless he goes back on that word or there is an injury within a game, I can’t see it happening.

Further to that, IMO, last year was his best year playing as a forward, and other than his goal kicking he had a pretty good year.
If he can build on that and start kicking some of the easier goals he has been missing he will remain in the team I think 🤔

My thoughts on McStay going back.

I have been to training a bit and some intra club games and I haven’t seen him training with the defenders at all this pre-season. So I think it is a big ask to all of a sudden throw him down back this close to the season.
Best chance of him going back would be if within a game, someone was injured and they needed another big fella down there.
He himself made the statement about 3-4 years ago that he wanted to play forward, so unless he goes back on that word or there is an injury within a game, I can’t see it happening.

Further to that, IMO, last year was his best year playing as a forward, and other than his goal kicking he had a pretty good year.
If he can build on that and start kicking some of the easier goals he has been missing he will remain in the team I think 🤔
I think we have peak McStay in that he tries hard and impacts the game as best he can ,generally doing his job for the team. If he didn't miss so many easy shots and just grabbed a few more balls that he gets his hands on then you would call him a very handy player . It's just that bit of finishing polish that would change the way people perceive him.

It'll all be in vain if he kicks three but misses one though.
Yawn. Why do you think it's a personal vendetta? The day McStay brings that form on a consistent basis is the day everyone on here who has been raising concerns about his offensive acumen for three years will rejoice - it means we got the forward we've hoped for and our team is better for it. I'm positive that's all any passionate Lions fan wants.

It's one preseason game - i'm looking forward to seeing if he can improve his KPF output in the next game. But if it's the same as we saw from him last year, and last week, at the expense of trying someone new in a game not worth points, then i reserve the right to be disappointed and to disect it here on a Lions forum. As i'm sure you reserve the right to get on the offensive first with a troll post like 'queue all the McStay hate'.

Go Lions!

I also think we look afar more dangerous outfit going forward with Oscar playing out of the goals square but need to set up in such a way that he doesn't get run off .

Oscar has plenty of inside skills for a man his size and he should get better the more games we get into him . Likewise you couldn't mark over him but he has shown the capacity to actually take contested marks.

It's a fine line - How much support/time do you give the guys in the A grade to hit their peak before that time waiting becomes demotivating for the guys in the B grade. Players come in, you give them a few games, you see their potential, talk about their ceiling and their role playing in thee team. They may not quite be where you want them but you persist and develop. Then you have the guys sitting behind them, how long do they sit there before rewarded. If it's too long they become bitter, possibly seek other opportunities, loose form and you loose depth. I don't envy the coaches role in this respect and as supporters, without talking to players we just don't know. We are in a great position, pre-season media was about Skinner, Ballanden, Starcevich and them knocking on the door, young men eager to get a run and be shown some time to develop. Then there is our recruits in Birchell, CEY and Ah Chee will they and how will they fit in and whom might drop out. We did come second after all last year. Now after the one pre-season game the drums are ringing out the same as last year - McStay, Rayner etc. I think us supporters get frustrated faster than the the coaches and want to see changes I just wonder how the B graders are. For me Skinner can do no more now, maybe he was carrying a niggle not to play the top grade but he and McStay play the same role and can play forward and back. Skinner has had his knee issues but got a full season in last finishing strongly and started well until a little ankle issue. I think he is more ferocious at the pack and as a tackler and is a better set shot. He must be one the B graders whisper about needs to have a run where McStay is probably one the B graders discuss over a beer that is getting a good run. Rayner I'm not so sure, Wooller started last season great but has been quite since and I think he is the only like for like. Ballenden got a crack for a good preseason but he is not Big O and I cant see him getting there in that sort of role.

I'm glad we have Fagan, he seems a great relationship coach and would be sitting on top of these conflicts managing both sides of the line. It's a fantastic place to be in for the club. I do hope Skinner gets a crack soon, I just think he is the most deserving at the current time with consistent performances.

Yawn. Why do you think it's a personal vendetta? The day McStay brings that form on a consistent basis is the day everyone on here who has been raising concerns about his offensive acumen for three years will rejoice - it means we got the forward we've hoped for and our team is better for it. I'm positive that's all any passionate Lions fan wants.

It's one preseason game - i'm looking forward to seeing if he can improve his KPF output in the next game. But if it's the same as we saw from him last year, and last week, at the expense of trying someone new in a game not worth points, then i reserve the right to be disappointed and to disect it here on a Lions forum. As i'm sure you reserve the right to get on the offensive first with a troll post like 'queue all the McStay hate'.

Go Lions!

I don't think there's anything personal about it - that'd be a bit weird, getting personal over an AFL player that most of us will never interact with beyond maybe a conversation. The number of McStay posts (not specifically by you, more in general) get monotonous though so I stand by my prediction - if McStay gives a number of goals but misses a sitter there will be the same posts.

Going on the offensive isn't my style, I generally just respond to other people's posts. If no one's commenting on it, excellent! Less people getting upset makes my job easier.

I don't "hate" McStay. But he is a KPF. One major KPI for a KPF is the ability to kick goals. Just saying. McStay doesn't kick goals, even gimmees. Or at least not regularly enough.

McStay is a BIG lad. Something like 196cm and 98kgs. Don't quote me. He does not play this big. And surely in heavens name over seasons of expert assistance his goal kicking might have improved- a fairly critical area. Based on Sunday it is still abysmal. Maybe this is why he cops so much criticism. It's so bleeding obvious that he needs to maximise his scoring chances as they occur only infrequently.

Obviously the coaches see something in his contributions we don't. But we can all see what he doesn't.

The main thing I took out of the weekend is the persistent forward line weaknesses. Our FF as talented as he is will never be a hard bodied stay at home type. He is a roam and reap opportunist. He needs support.

The forward line is where we need improvement. Our centres and backs appear well equipped. Neales hands are the best I've seen apart from Simon Black and Darryl Baldock.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Watching this on Sunday, can't help but think our depth has really gone backwards. Cutler best on ground for the bombers, walker was great for the roos and Robinson kept Whitfield to what 15 odd in that final. Keays a good pickup for Adelaide too. Our recruits didn't offer up too much in comparison, which is concerning as it's unlikely our injury run will be as good this season

I am personally happy and excited that our depth duties now fall on Lyons, Skinner, Payne, Cox etc.. we had this whole underside of young talent buried under guys (who were first in line) who had reached their peak and weren't setting the world on fire.

We are still clearly thinking long term.

Also find it hard to casually have All those guys casually thrown in the 'sure to cost us' category just yet.

I don't "hate" McStay. But he is a KPF. One major KPI for a KPF is the ability to kick goals. Just saying. McStay doesn't kick goals, even gimmees. Or at least not regularly enough.

McStay is a BIG lad. Something like 196cm and 98kgs. Don't quote me. He does not play this big. And surely in heavens name over seasons of expert assistance his goal kicking might have improved- a fairly critical area. Based on Sunday it is still abysmal. Maybe this is why he cops so much criticism. It's so bleeding obvious that he needs to maximise his scoring chances as they occur only infrequently.

Obviously the coaches see something in his contributions we don't. But we can all see what he doesn't.

The main thing I took out of the weekend is the persistent forward line weaknesses. Our FF as talented as he is will never be a hard bodied stay at home type. He is a roam and reap opportunist. He needs support.

The forward line is where we need improvement. Our centres and backs appear well equipped. Neales hands are the best I've seen apart from Simon Black and Darryl Baldock.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

HIGHEST SCORING TEAM IN 2019

How are people so wilfully ignorant of this? Even the commentators on the weekend said we have a boring game style while we kick more goals than any other side.

How are people so wilfully ignorant of this? Even the commentators on the weekend said we have a boring game style while we kick more goals than any other side.
All true although our game style on Sunday was a poor impression of last year's. It will be better next Marsh game and better again by the first round.

Not ignorant but I'm expecting all other clubs to be wiser of Charlie Cameron threat and plan much better this season. In that case, it's fair to expect our KPFs to stand up and provide the scoring avenue in 2020 - I'm including Hipwood on this one.

Improvement has to come from somewhere, I see this discussion as a healthy one as we're just analyzing options here.

Not ignorant but I'm expecting all other clubs to be wiser of Charlie Cameron threat and plan much better this season. In that case, it's fair to expect our KPFs to stand up and provide the scoring avenue in 2020 - I'm including Hipwood on this one.

Improvement has to come from somewhere, I see this discussion as a healthy one as we're just analyzing options here.

A sole focus on replacing McStay as the solution to fix our scoring ‘problems’ isn’t healthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A sole focus on replacing McStay as the solution to fix our scoring ‘problems’ isn’t healthy.
I am not sure as a club we actually have scoring problems?
But Dan McStay appears to have.
But he was a link in the chain that created enough chances for the club to be the highest scoring team last year.
Imagine how much better we would be with Dan Kicking the goals he gets the chance to?

those still shots of lachie really emphasize his ability to have a low center of gravity (i think thats what I mean...).

re rayner. That kick to Zorko reminded me of his kick to McCarthy last year. He can really judge the point of a running team mate without breaking stride so nicely, also one to... Cameron i think in the f50 last year. I really liked his game, probably apart from some contested marking (tbh I am judging this off from that awesome mark he got against... port maybe 2 years ago :))

some great pics! i look forward to the upload :D

loving the look of the ground and verdant scenery too, i get sick of the same old flashing led's and concrete jungles

those still shots of lachie really emphasize his ability to have a low center of gravity (i think thats what I mean...).

re rayner. That kick to Zorko reminded me of his kick to McCarthy last year. He can really judge the point of a running team mate without breaking stride so nicely, also one to... Cameron i think in the f50 last year. I really liked his game, probably apart from some contested marking (tbh I am judging this off from that awesome mark he got against... port maybe 2 years ago :))

some great pics! i look forward to the upload :D

loving the look of the ground and verdant scenery too, i get sick of the same old flashing led's and concrete jungles
Thanks
Had to look up "verdant" :
adjective

1. (of countryside) green with grass or other rich vegetation.

So by that reckoning any push in the back should incur a fine, any hard tackle should incur a fine as they’re intentional acts. To claim it could cause serious injury when the guy was pushed from inside the field of play is a long bow to draw.

duty of care is a ridiculously overused term, what about a marking contest where a player puts his knee into the back of the head of the player sitting under the ball, no fine there yet in theory could kill a guy

Totally misrepresent what I said. Watch the footage. As both players were running to the boundary, Zorko deliberately propelled him into the trainers/fence area. A long bow to draw. You reckon there was no chance of injury to anyone in that scenario? Any push in the back should incur a fine? Are you a speech writer for Donald Trump?

As soon as a couple of people talk about a specific player there looks like there's a bit of reaction the other way and it is made out like he is being picked on. My take is that we are going to have to have other goal kickers step up as Charlie will be watched a lot more closer, worth noting that he is our highest contested marker, would love him to kick a few more goals though, that said he goes up the ground a bit, the club clearly have KPIs for him to judge his success other than pure goal #s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back