JLT Round 1 vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres really not that much negitivity for what was a pretty bad overall first hit out, the 'all this negitivity' stuff is getting a bit blown out now.

Some positives.. the one big negitive was the heads dropped in the third and that fake defensive effort stuff started. Guys stopped cracking in (see zorkos chasing efforts) and hands went on the hips, you would think at very least guys would be looking to run threw walls for 4 qaurters for our new coaching panel. That was my only issue really, dont care about skill errors or our forwards struggling.

All the other stuff is expected, we are young, our list lacks talent etc.. no one is looking to win 12 games this year, but commenting of half assed defensive efforts for 1/2 a game is not really being overly negitive. Its just what happened.

Conditions were hard, keenly awaiting our next hit out amd watching the growth of this team. Patience is the key, i totally agree, we need not have any expectations - hard to see us winning more than 3-4 games.
They can look at videos as much as they like.If they select players who cant,break lines transition fast and defend,we'll be burned.Would lose Beames,Mayes,Jansen Lester,probably one of Bewickor Bastinac, and hope Cutler, Christensen,William ,Beames senior, and Bell are ready.

With all the negativity I am really surprised at the forgiving attitude for Gardner. He was absolutely terrible in the first half and only improved in the second because he was switched onto the smaller blokes. He has consistently shown over the last year or so that he can only play on small mediums and so it not a third tall option. People love to hammer Paparone about not being able to handle talls but Gardner is much worse. Going the other way he does not offer much either.

If we wanted another tall at the back I go with Hipwood, Skinner when fit or Hammelmann and maybe play McStay as a swingman. If we wanted someone to go medium most often I go with Cutler, Allison, Robertson or Paparone all of whom are about he same height as Gardner and are likely to offer more and have higher ceilings.

Frost was never going to be the saviour that people on here talked him up to be. Solid midrange defensive option who does not offer a great deal going forward. That is what he has been in the past and will be for us. People had their expectations up and were disappointed. I saw exactly what I expected and thought he did a pretty decent job in a defence under a fair bit of pressure.

Taylor was another who I thought was poor. Lots of poor options in his game.

Robertson has not gotten much of a mention but I liked his game at the back. Good defensively and did okay with the ball.

Schache needs to be more aggressive and attack the ball more. He was not in the game enough.

Allison only got game time after half time that I saw and started slowly but worked into the game nicely. I was impressed with his work in the last quarter. Still needs to hit targets a bit more readily but overall an encouraging outing for him.

The one comment I really wanted to make was about the possibility of playing Hipwood and McStay in defence with Andrews.

I was pretty disappointed that we seemed to be outnumbered 2 to 1 at most contests, and that by and large the midfield seemed to go missing. It was noticeable when Mathieson and McCluggage were in the game.

I still want Ainsworth.

Don't worry you guys aren't going to miss Frost

Don't worry you guys aren't going to miss Frost
Its different for you guys tho because last season you had guys that could take the big forwards like Reid (when he was available), Frost, Marsh iirc plays defence and Nathan Brown.
We have Andrews and thats basically it, even then he isn't really suited for those big forwards

Its different for you guys tho because last season you had guys that could take the big forwards like Reid (when he was available), Frost, Marsh iirc plays defence and Nathan Brown.
We have Andrews and thats basically it, even then he isn't really suited for those big forwards
Thing is Frost isn't suited suited to big forwards either. His basically Hawkins play thing at this point. His strength is his pace and spoiling arm not his one on one ability, which forces him to play from behind more often then not. He has great closing speed but its not enough when you consistently let your forward have a free run and jump at the footy.

Yeah, not sitting with my arms folded at quarter time at the Gabba because we are 32 points down would be a nice start. Being in games for longer will be a big step forward. It sounds like loser talk but that is where we are at.
Completely agree, I think we can expect to win 4-6 games but let's be in the hunt for longer. Would love to see improvement in the game plan and skills as a start.

Thing is Frost isn't suited suited to big forwards either. His basically Hawkins play thing at this point. His strength is his pace and spoiling arm not his one on one ability, which forces him to play from behind more often then not. He has great closing speed but its not enough when you consistently let your forward have a free run and jump at the footy.
Daniel Merrett, is that you?

Taking the result with a grain of salt on the weekend, we had our balance way out of whack with so many talls on the field in 34 degree heat. My concern is with Frost and Gardiner as 2 of our 3 key defenders. In Walker, Close, Hipwood, Schache, McStay, Freeman, Martin and Archie we are well and truly covered for forwards and rucks going forward. Gardiner and Frost should never get a game ahead of these blokes. Somehow we need to manufacture a couple of defenders out of our forwards.

Bewick was very good, hopefully he will become more confident with his decision making. Really impressed like everyone else with the Cluggage, he is a jet, a weapon and runs harder than any of our current players. For me, Andrews is the standout leader in the young blokes and if Rocky isn't given the gig, I would be happy with an Andrews/Martin co captain situation. Not sure Zorko is the one for the job, would prefer him to just dominate.

We really missed the leg speed of Cutler, Christensen, Harwood and Bell. I cannot see Keays getting a game with Beams and Rockliff in the team, Keaysy is just so one paced. Maybe of few more years in the gym and rack up 1000s of possies in the seconds until he has a game to match Beamer and Rocky.

Tommy Cutler is probably our most important player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't Cox and Witherden meant to be pretty nippy too? Hopefully we can develop them nicely. Witherden with his recovery may take a lot longer tho
Berry has the pace not witherden. Not sure on cox

William still isn't running but should be close, Berry still a few weeks, Witherden is a bit open ended and I am sure will not be rushed.

Was a grade A sling tackle, had to go.
I don't know. Categorised as careless, medium impact to the head. Careless is a certainty - could even have gone higher on that one, but I think medium impact is a bit ridiculous, and i'm not sure it was really to the head either as much as the body. It was actually pretty tame for a sling tackle. Think the AFL are just trying to make an example.

I'd have given it 1 week, reduced to a fine or points. Club can't really fight it though... Argue it should've been a 1 weeker, and they're risking an extra week for pretty much no benefit.

Taking the result with a grain of salt on the weekend, we had our balance way out of whack with so many talls on the field in 34 degree heat. My concern is with Frost and Gardiner as 2 of our 3 key defenders. In Walker, Close, Hipwood, Schache, McStay, Freeman, Martin and Archie we are well and truly covered for forwards and rucks going forward. Gardiner and Frost should never get a game ahead of these blokes. Somehow we need to manufacture a couple of defenders out of our forwards.

Bewick was very good, hopefully he will become more confident with his decision making. Really impressed like everyone else with the Cluggage, he is a jet, a weapon and runs harder than any of our current players. For me, Andrews is the standout leader in the young blokes and if Rocky isn't given the gig, I would be happy with an Andrews/Martin co captain situation. Not sure Zorko is the one for the job, would prefer him to just dominate.

We really missed the leg speed of Cutler, Christensen, Harwood and Bell. I cannot see Keays getting a game with Beams and Rockliff in the team, Keaysy is just so one paced. Maybe of few more years in the gym and rack up 1000s of possies in the seconds until he has a game to match Beamer and Rocky.

Tommy Cutler is probably our most important player.

Frost and Gardner could be short term options. Skinner looked really good last year when you consider the time he had out and Hammelmann also did well considering it was his first year in defence. Also if they are planning for the future they could be planning for Ballenden coming in next year and maybe moving Hipwood into defence where I thought he was excellent as a junior.

On pace we do have an issue with our guys being very one paced through the midfield. Cox and Berry both have decent pace once they are up and going but are not burners and their pace off the mark is only average. Keays and Mathieson are both slow and combined with Rockliff that does limit our ability to play them all together I think. As far as guys who play some time inside Zorko, Taylor and Christensen have decent pace. Beams and Rich are average. Some of our outside guys do have good pace and it is worth remembering that Allison timed fantastically well at the combine this year.

Cutler is far from our most important player. It would be great for him to play to his potential but Bewick played his role well on the weekend and all of Berry, Withenden, Cox and Allison have potential to play the role just as well as him if not better. Cutler needs a lot of work on his defensive side and his consistency. He does have very good pace and his long kicking can be very good as well but he needs to show he can do it every game.

Far off being match ready Rip? Would like to see him feature in this years JLT Community series.
After the JLT1 squad members finished training the other night, the leftovers played a half-ground mini game. Reubs was in the thick of it. Cedric Cox also noticeable.

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to when he'll be available for selection, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back