JLT Round 1 vs GC Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

After the JLT1 squad members finished training the other night, the leftovers played a half-ground mini game. Reubs was in the thick of it. Cedric Cox also noticeable.

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to when he'll be available for selection, though.
It is good he is back and the weeks must be flicking by because he said he was 4 weeks away but thinking about it that would have been 4-5 weeks ago. If fit and we can find a list spot he could give us some genuine pace

I don't know. Categorised as careless, medium impact to the head. Careless is a certainty - could even have gone higher on that one, but I think medium impact is a bit ridiculous, and i'm not sure it was really to the head either as much as the body. It was actually pretty tame for a sling tackle. Think the AFL are just trying to make an example.

I'd have given it 1 week, reduced to a fine or points. Club can't really fight it though... Argue it should've been a 1 weeker, and they're risking an extra week for pretty much no benefit.
Yeah but:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-21/frost-ban-sends-clear-message-on-dangerous-tackles
In the MRP's eyes, undergoing that test and being forced from the ground is enough to justify the medium impact grading, resulting in a one-match ban with an early guilty plea.
So he was boned the second Gold Coast sent their player off. Let's see the MRP uphold this fine definition when someone in Brownlow contention does it though...

You suggesting Frost wasn't in Brownlow contention?
Why he hasn't got two round his neck already is completely beyond my comprehension.
So a team can now get players to miss the next week by doing a test?
That article certainly makes it appear that way, hey? edit: I tweeted the author to seek clarification, as it is written it does sound like there's potential for misuse.
And which team do we play in round one?
You'd be forgiven for thinking there was a bit of a quick thinking from their bench...

Last edited:
Yep and l somehow doubt some like Hodge would have got rubbed out if he did something similar. Always seem to take these actions against the lower clubs

Frost really should have stuck to elbowing him in the head or driving him into a goal post if he wanted to avoid suspension

1037419.jpg

Frost and Gardner could be short term options. Skinner looked really good last year when you consider the time he had out and Hammelmann also did well considering it was his first year in defence. Also if they are planning for the future they could be planning for Ballenden coming in next year and maybe moving Hipwood into defence where I thought he was excellent as a junior.

On pace we do have an issue with our guys being very one paced through the midfield. Cox and Berry both have decent pace once they are up and going but are not burners and their pace off the mark is only average. Keays and Mathieson are both slow and combined with Rockliff that does limit our ability to play them all together I think. As far as guys who play some time inside Zorko, Taylor and Christensen have decent pace. Beams and Rich are average. Some of our outside guys do have good pace and it is worth remembering that Allison timed fantastically well at the combine this year.

Cutler is far from our most important player. It would be great for him to play to his potential but Bewick played his role well on the weekend and all of Berry, Withenden, Cox and Allison have potential to play the role just as well as him if not better. Cutler needs a lot of work on his defensive side and his consistency. He does have very good pace and his long kicking can be very good as well but he needs to show he can do it every game.

Hammelmann was awful last season. Lost about every contest he was involved in with his opponent. I hope he can improve and become a reliable defender down back and prove me wrong but he would have to improve a hell of a lot on last years poor efforts. Gardiner is miles better than him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was comparing Beasley's 2015 to Hammelmann's 2016, I'd have Beasley's by a mile. Overall, I liked what Beasley had to offer in 2015.

Aside from being injured, I'm not sure why Beasley fell out of favour to the extent he did last season, particularly given Hammelmann's struggles and continued run.

Hammer, a forward-turned-defender in his second year (a player we ALL knew was very much a project player) struggled in the worst defensive side in history.

What did people realisticallt expect?

Quigley, I appreciate your views. Cutler is easily our most important player because he is the only 100 metre player on our list. We need him up and running, he will break the 1k for distance gained in a game this year.

Hammelman showed a few signs. That's about all we should be expecting of a young, developing player. He probably wasn't ready for senior footy but he wasn't totally disgraced.
Oh man I think that's a stretch. Hammer was completely disgraced every game of footy he played. It honestly shocked me how he managed to continue to get games. He was a complete liability defensively and with ball in hand.

I understand signs in players, guys like Archie, keays, Margo etc have all shown signs. Even Rueben (who I have just above hammer on the how the hell did he get a game list) showed he's got the pace & endeavour for AFL level.

Hipwood as a first year player would have out bodied hammer who for a reasonably well built bloke is allergic to body contact. Lacks pace, awareness, skills.

The only time I have ever seen hammer show any signs was playing up forward in the NEAFL where he at least showed his footy smarts (which are pretty good as a forward) to continually lead and create separation and take some good marks. Pretty good kick for goal too. IMO hammer loses his best assets being played down back and should be swung back forward because that is the only position I see him making it as. I reckon he could be a very good compliment to two big KPFs.

Oh man I think that's a stretch. Hammer was completely disgraced every game of footy he played. It honestly shocked me how he managed to continue to get games. He was a complete liability defensively and with ball in hand.

I understand signs in players, guys like Archie, keays, Margo etc have all shown signs. Even Rueben (who I have just above hammer on the how the hell did he get a game list) showed he's got the pace & endeavour for AFL level.

Hipwood as a first year player would have out bodied hammer who for a reasonably well built bloke is allergic to body contact. Lacks pace, awareness, skills.

The only time I have ever seen hammer show any signs was playing up forward in the NEAFL where he at least showed his footy smarts (which are pretty good as a forward) to continually lead and create separation and take some good marks. Pretty good kick for goal too. IMO hammer loses his best assets being played down back and should be swung back forward because that is the only position I see him making it as. I reckon he could be a very good compliment to two big KPFs.
Hammelman showed that he could read play and zone off. He didn't do it every time but he showed that he could develop that sort of awareness and play a role in a team defence

He won a few contests a game, despite being less experienced and less strong than his opponents.

He showed a willingness to run off and be an attacking option which is a bit of a gap with our tall defenders.

He has an awful lot of work to do but, when you put last year in the context that he was a rookie listed forward coming off a pretty disappointing year in 2015, he came a long way. He probably need to repeat that sort of improvement this year and there's still more bad than good in his game but there's something there to work with.

Leigh Matthews said you are only looking for signs when it comes to young talls. I think that, while those signs were interspersed between patches of poor play, the signs were still there with Hammelman.

Hammer was thrown in out of desperation and I thought was ok in an undermanned, inexperienced back line. There was a lot of last year where the majority of the backs were third year players or younger.

To be giving harsh criticism to the backs last year is unfair when the midfield jogged in defense (with the exception of Robbo ). The kid comes off the rookie list and some people are surprised when he gets towelled up by bigger, stronger more experienced fwds???

One thing hammer has is he is quite mobile and could be our guy for the bigger mobile fwds if he keeps developing.

Yeah, I don't think Hammelmann was disgraced by any stretch and definitely worth persisting with.

As others have said, Hammelmann was thrown into statistically the worst Lions defensive unit in our merger history, so he was always up against it and understandably struggled. The very best first year KPD's would have too IMO.

Which is a worrying sign.
I wonder if, with all the attention put into skills development this pre-season and extra time spent on game plan and things like that has taken away from the time spent on fitness and running? Its a delicate balance. I thought they ran out the intra club pretty well. But that is not at full game intensity.

Which is a worrying sign.
I wonder if, with all the attention put into skills development this pre-season and extra time spent on game plan and things like that has taken away from the time spent on fitness and running? Its a delicate balance. I thought they ran out the intra club pretty well. But that is not at full game intensity.
I think it is more of an 'old habits die hard' situation and that this would have been a big focus over the pre-season and I even saw Freeman even try and put on pressure early a number of times in one instance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back