JLT Round 2 - v Swans - Sunday March 10. Lismore

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if we’ll look to put up another strong side to get some continuity leading into round 1 or if Dew will look to give some guys around the edges a run and give them a chance to impress?

Would like to see Hanley, Brodie, Day, Scheer, Goober, Dawson, Hombsch or a collection of them, but can only see some of them coming in if we rest some of the guys who played both Brisbane and the Bulldogs.

Wonder if we’ll look to put up another strong side to get some continuity leading into round 1 or if Dew will look to give some guys around the edges a run and give them a chance to impress?

Would like to see Hanley, Brodie, Day, Scheer, Goober, Dawson, Hombsch or a collection of them, but can only see some of them coming in if we rest some of the guys who played both Brisbane and the Bulldogs.
One could see against WB that Suns have a long way to go to gel with many new players. So I predict the best 24 in JLT2. It will still take a half season to build proper players synergy, awareness.

My team

Out Harbrow (rest), Lemmens (ankle), GHS (ankle), King (omit)
In: Brodie, Hanley, Day, Hombsch

Have a feeling we are going to struggle to keep up with Sydney. Wouldnt mind playing a less competitive team for the opportunity to see some more of the team. Scheer, Mclennan, Crossley, Brodie and Corbett if fit.

Have a feeling we are going to struggle to keep up with Sydney. Wouldnt mind playing a less competitive team for the opportunity to see some more of the team. Scheer, Mclennan, Crossley, Brodie and Corbett if fit.

Corbett 3-4 weeks as of a week ago according to suns website.

We looked actually very good physically against WB. I think we need to gel best players, no time for opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney aren't especially quick. They won't burn us on the outside. We need to use our pace of Murdoch, Harbrow and Weller on the outside to get more the ball quickly. Hopefully in drier conditions we can see some good ball movement.

Sydney looked very average against the Giants

That makes me think the Ugly Ducks will take this trial very seriously to get some confidence going into Round 1
This is my fear. As happy as I was with how well we competed and ran out the game against the doggies we did look really slow. We also have a really young squad - consistency is going to be a big challenge for us this year. I don't expect to be destroyed by the swans, but I don't know if we will be able to outscore them over 4 qaurters either.

Would love to have Will Hayward
Very similar to Jack Martin up forward, although bet Sydney wished he got involved more. 28 goals in 23 games last year but averages around 12-13 possessions a game.

JLT-1 they went in without Franklin, Zak Jones, Grundy, Jack, McVeigh, Menzel so certainly not at full strength.

Damn difficult to pick best 24. No rest. My final version :)

FB Harbrow Thompson Murdoch
HB Collins Hombsh Hanley
C Weller Miller Martin
HF Sexton Wright Ah Chee
FF Rankine Day Ainsworth
FOLL Witts Swallow Fiorini

INT Bowes, Powell, Brodie, Burgess, Macpherson, Miles

Last edited:
Damn difficult to pick best 24.
My take considering injuries, JLT1 and Dew's preference. If not resting Harbrow Collins/Ballard out. If Brodie don't get opportunity GHS/Lukosius in.

FB Collins Thompson Murdoch
HB Ballard Hombsh Hanley
C Weller Miller Martin
HF Sexton Wright Ah Chee
FF Rankine Day Ainsworth
FOLL Witts Swallow Fiorini

INT Bowes, Powell, Brodie, Burgess, Macpherson, Miles

Who are you going to play the 3 tall defenders + 195cm Ballard on?

Sydney last week played Sam Reid, Toby Pink (193cm), Nick Blakey as their talks in the forward line with Heeney and Hayward mobile marking types.

Think you rest Thompson in this situation. We're not going to play essentially 4 talls down back.

Who are you going to play the 3 tall defenders + 195cm Ballard on?

Sydney last week played Sam Reid, Toby Pink (193cm), Nick Blakey as their talks in the forward line with Heeney and Hayward mobile marking types.

Think you rest Thompson in this situation. We're not going to play essentially 4 talls down back.
Good idea to rest Thompson.

We will probably play 3 talls against St Kilda (Thomson, Hombsh, Collins) and Harbrow replaces Ballard. Ballard can play multiple positions, wing probably the next one.

Murdoch, Hanley should be able to defend Heeney, Hayward.

Good idea to rest Thompson.

We will probably play 3 talls against St Kilda (Thomson, Hombsh, Collins) and Harbrow replaces Ballard. Ballard can play multiple positions, wing probably the next one.

Murdoch, Hanley should be able to defend Heeney, Hayward.

Honestly I haven't seen any evidence that Ballard can play wing.
He is a tall lanky guy who reads the play well and can intercept mark for mine.
His skills are adequate not exquisite
He isn't an elite runner

I know he played some midfield as a junior but surely got to play him in his best position.

Looks like the weather will be kind to us again in this one. I assume we're going to rest a few of the guys who have played the last two weeks like Rory. Hopefully we can keep momentum building and beat the Swans but it's not a big deal if we rest players and lose this one.

He isn't an elite runner

I know he played some midfield as a junior but surely got to play him in his best position.
Pretty sure Ballard spent some time on the wing against Swans last year. Long-term I see him there. I decided to update my best 24, not resting players, we need the team to gel, they have 2 weeks to rest before round 1.

He isn't an elite runner

I am the same. I like him as an intercept mark in the backline. Perhaps moving forward as a 3rd tall option in the future.

Leave the wings for the likes of Bowes, Weller, Hanley who have some good running and have good long kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back