JLT Round 2 vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

When you're too good for the NEAFL at age 18 I'm willing to put a bit of faith in kid. Especially when I know that he has an incredible work ethic and the fact he's only in his second year. If we was in his fourth or fifth year and he was performing like that sure strike a line through him. But come on to claim he hasn't shown signs is a little ridiculous.

The NEAFL performances also include when he was a 16 & 17 year old junior. I've seen a lot of Keays play.

And his complete inability to impact an AFL game so far hasn't concerned you? You should be able to perform at an ok level in the AFL if you dominate the NEAFL unless you're being held back by being slow, poorly skilled and not able to win the footy cleanly.

On Bewick, he always struck me as the type of player, an astute club with good structures like the Crows, Hawks or Swans could pick up and turn into a very solid best 18 type. He has some really nice attributes, hopefully these past couple of trial games, builds momentum for a good season.
Was at the game and was going to make comments on some players. Don't think I could have summed up the Bewick situation any better than this. His positive attributes are being utilised.
- Lester- still slow across the ground but his body movement appear more flexible. Plays a role and puts his body on the line. Very important in the last quarter.
- Taylor - played like he really wanted to be part of the club. Great efforts. Made mistakes but recovered and got straight back into the contest
- Robertson - (Robber) - he was on my wing a lot. Body language has improved, looks much more confident in his place in the team. Lots of first though decisions, rather than trying to double guess himself. Still scope for improvement but probably a best 22 starter.
- Allison - wears the dreaded 37 - I liked what I saw of him in the last quarter in last weeks game playing half back wing, didn't notice him much in the first half this week, seemed to be playing half forward in the second. Didn't look comfortable.
- Barrett - offensive running was a highlight for me. Fitted well into patterns of hand balls when we looked most dangerous. To a casual observer seemed to have more impact than Basti. Coaches opinion on overall impact may be different. As some one else said Basti didn't seem to be suit to an outside role changing on the wing.
- Frost - on last night's performance he is better than Merrett circa 2016. Not sure how much up-side he has. Is he a guy keeping the position warm while we develop someone else over the next two to three years or is he someone who will grow into the team as he gets better adjusted to the game plan? Not sure at this stage.
- Zorko magnificent
- Hipworth - could be anything. Posters have comment on the pick up at full pace and pass to Close which was a highlight.
- Andrews - is already anything! Looked AA CHB material last night, with Close we have found some talls to build a structure around.

Undermanned opposition and a practice match notwithstanding, some very nice memories for what could still be a very long year.

one key thing in last nights game is we won the hitouts something like 50-10. Stef in particular was able to hold English out and tap it wherever he wanted. so our midfield played well but we had first use of the ball more than is ever likely to happen in general play.

Some other comments.

Thought the back 6 all looked good. (Harris, Frost, Cutler, Robertson, Mayes, Gardiner). Will be interesting against a team with an additional taller forward and a bit more strength to see if Gardiner can do that role. One thing I particularly liked about Robertson was his contest work and spoiling to an extent he looked more of a 'natural defender' than many of our defenders have over recent years. One thing with Cutler is that he sometimes seems to switch off and just needs to stay focused 100% of the time.

Midfield was good but obviously came against a weakened team. Zorko's kicking was sensational, Beams managed to find time. Barrett very Rocky reminiscent but not sure how much value he is adding (when you have to get down from 26 to 22). Taylor generally more direct only one real bad mistake caught out overthinking it. Allison didn't really get near it and is obviously very light for his size. McLuggage had some good moments and seemed to always be able to get a handball away when tackled which was good.

Forwards. Close looks like he is primed for a good year. Dogs only played Morris after half time (that I noticed) but Collins and Adams are likely to be first choice so he was beating genuine AFL players. He showed both his physical size and body positioning and athleticism on a number of occasions. Hippy will be a handful when he clunks those marks he flies at - I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend time in reserves this year with one of McStay/Walker/Freeman who are perhaps more ready to contribute now playing more.

Bell really came into it in the second half when we needed someone to steady the ship. Got some calming possessions on half back and kicked the sealer. Like the Lester and Basti (both average last night but people tend to notice their mistakes not the quietly good stuff) commentary through this thread he is one who has 'whipping boy' potential all over him but due to physical maturity may well play plenty of games this year. Bewick on last nights form is definitely best 22. Consistency has been his issue so we'll see how it lasts. As some have said a smarter gamestyle and better kicking where he and we can exploit his running ability may see him take a step up to consistently good AFL player.

Team comments. Was noticeable at first bounce with Lester as third forward and Gardiner as third back how much shorter the team was than last year. Clearly a focus (and better execution) on centering the ball, much less kick it and hope along the boundary. The handballing seemed a lot more natural and flowing than previous years where it seemed we would recieve, stop, think about it then handball by which time the opportunity had passed. I only recall one hospital handpass last night. Our switching again seemed smarter and more natural, quicker. Our overall run, particularly defensively after a mistake, seemed a level above recent seasons. Whether thats positioning, thought process or fitness I'm not sure (probably all three) but the comment that the dogs only went coast to coast once in the game (after Taylor gave away a free kick for the turnover) was a big improvement.

Last edited:
You still have to have at least one of speed, disposal or a clean, contested ball winner. He hasn't shown he'll be capable of any of that. It's one thing to win contested footy (he still doesn't win a lot) but then he actually has to use it well, which he doesn't.

I'm not throwing in the towel; I'm saying he has a lot to improve and that he really can't rely on natural ability which makes it very tough. What is that reason? Because Leppa was stupidly playing him as a defensive forward where he struggled to contribute anything towards the teams performance?

I'd like to see him win some contested footy and feed it out cleanly and actually look dangerous up forward before comparing him to Beams.
I know your getting hammered mate but you are on the money. He shows no signs of doing anything overly well. Is slow and twenty metre chip kicks only get you so far. He has never done anything to make you think "wow" if he works on that he will be valuable. If he was not in the academy would be a rookie at best. 2nd year no excuse for dropping chest marks.

You still have to have at least one of speed, disposal or a clean, contested ball winner. He hasn't shown he'll be capable of any of that. It's one thing to win contested footy (he still doesn't win a lot) but then he actually has to use it well, which he doesn't.

I'm not throwing in the towel; I'm saying he has a lot to improve and that he really can't rely on natural ability which makes it very tough. What is that reason? Because Leppa was stupidly playing him as a defensive forward where he struggled to contribute anything towards the teams performance?

I'd like to see him win some contested footy and feed it out cleanly and actually look dangerous up forward before comparing him to Beams.

Agree. Says it all actually.great summary.

And his complete inability to impact an AFL game so far hasn't concerned you? You should be able to perform at an ok level in the AFL if you dominate the NEAFL unless you're being held back by being slow, poorly skilled and not able to win the footy cleanly.

Not at all because he's not yet had a run in the midfield and he's in his second year. If he was in his fourth or fifth year I'd understand your concern. But ghee we put a lot on these kids to perform early.

You don't even get on an AFL list if you're poorly skilled, slow and unable to win the footy lol.

Look how long it's taken sam mayes to really play consistent footy. He dominated the reserves whenever he was dropped and he was pick 8. Ghee wiz give the kid a break.

Thought Rich played OK. Seemed to go in a lot harder than normal and followed up on some of his play

Noticed him getting bagged a bit, I thought he got a bit of his own ball and really cracked in most of the time. Just his T-rex arms leave him unable to take a grab and he struggled a little with a greasy conditions. I thought his application was first rate.

Not at all because he's not yet had a run in the midfield and he's in his second year. If he was in his fourth or fifth year I'd understand your concern. But ghee we put a lot on these kids to perform early.

You don't even get on an AFL list if you're poorly skilled, slow and unable to win the footy lol.

Look how long it's taken sam mayes to really play consistent footy. He dominated the reserves whenever he was dropped and he was pick 8. Ghee wiz give the kid a break.

But Mayes showed immediately at AFL level that he was a good user of the footy and had good goal sense. Keays has not shown a similar level of ability. It isn't a good comparison.

I know your getting hammered mate but you are on the money. He shows no signs of doing anything overly well. Is slow and twenty metre chip kicks only get you so far. He has never done anything to make you think "wow" if he works on that he will be valuable. If he was not in the academy would be a rookie at best. 2nd year no excuse for dropping chest marks.
2x U18 all Australian.
Best div 2 player winner
Captain of the QLD side.

Yeah dude he's totally have been a rookie pick if not for the academy. Not too mention another club bid on him at pick 20 odd.

Ghee I thought lester was gonna be whipping boy this season. You guys are savage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Mayes showed immediately at AFL level that he was a good user of the footy and had good goal sense. Keays has not shown a similar level of ability. It isn't a good comparison.
In the position he played his whole life in.... switched to a new position how long did that take? 2-3 years to learn to be a consistent HBF?

A very apt comparison imo.

I watched Hipwood live last year and was sitting behind the goals. He has the most uncanny knack of positioning himself favorably for an incoming ball, it was interesting to watch. I left convinced he has a very special IQ, he just gets it. Also once the football is in dispute, he has a great ability to impact the ball or get to it, and influence the contest.

He is still skinny so he doesen't always mark the ball or get both hands on it, but his positioning and feel for the game is as good as I have seen in a young footballer, I remember Brown having the same feel as an 18 year old, he was just always 'there' and would time his run at ball to perfection.

You see a lot of dominant kids at junior footy only play midfield, but they cant step into that role at a higher level. Hence they struggle in the first few years, this is what is happening to Keayes.

Kids should really be played in different positions coming through the ranks, but a lot of clubs seem to think an under (whatever) championship is more important than actually developing the players.

I said at the end of last year Hipwood was the guy to be excited about. He is tall, but still very good off the ground for his size. We get Close, Schache and Hippy up there, they are big and mobile and going to cause problems. We do need to find a high class crumber, which should be Christensen if not for his glass collar bone.

I cant see McStay pushing in up forward but could see him at CHB. Wow, selection issues in trying to find places for them all, not trying to fill gaps with guys who are unsuitable.

Last edited:
In the position he played his whole life in.... switched to a new position how long did that take? 2-3 years to learn to be a consistent HBF?

A very apt comparison imo.

Except what you fail to grasp is I'm talking about ability not performance.

We could see from his first game that Mayes was a good user of the footy wherever he played. We have not seen anything from Keays that will allow him to stand out from our other midfielders and find a place in our midfield. He has a very low ceiling when it comes to ability.

We could see from his first game that Mayes was a good user of the footy wherever he played. We have not seen anything from Keays that will allow him to stand out from our other midfielders and find a place in our midfield. He has a very low ceiling when it comes to ability.
I dont know about very low, but certainly not as high as some others. He is an accumulator with a good tank, but is a little one paced. Unfortunately we have a few guys who can play the one paced mid.

The fact you have only seen him play at AFL level means you have 0 clue what he could become. Let's see how he develops I think he will be a real good player for us.

I almost wonder whether playing so many games in the forward pocket might have held back his development in the midfield a little. A few is certainly good for him, but 15 games playing on the ball in the NEAFL would also have been handy.

The fact you have only seen him play at AFL level means you have 0 clue what he could become. Let's see how he develops I think he will be a real good player for us.

Zero clue?

Can you take this seriously please?

I almost wonder whether playing so many games in the forward pocket might have held back his development in the midfield a little. A few is certainly good for him, but 15 games playing on the ball in the NEAFL would also have been handy.
He clearly isnt a fwd pocket, doesnt have the explosive speed or goal sense to play there. They were just trying to get games into him last year. He may spend a bit of time in the NEAFL this year, but that isnt a bad thing.

2x U18 all Australian.
Best div 2 player winner
Captain of the QLD side.

Yeah dude he's totally have been a rookie pick if not for the academy. Not too mention another club bid on him at pick 20 odd.

Ghee I thought lester was gonna be whipping boy this season. You guys are savage
He did all that and still not picked untill the mid 20's says something. I hope I am wrong but I would suggest it's realistic not savage. As others have stated he just does not have the skill set to be a good player. I would rate him alongside Claye just ahead of the rookies but behind Barrett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back