Game Day JLT series Game 2 vs Hawthorn - 7:10pm, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

But when you say it we all think 'negative much?'
  • Practice Match
  • New Rules
  • Some new players
none of those things should impact on doing the basics well.
It was our last practice game with players vieing for spots
the rules dont impact on skills and decision making
New players or not they are all expected to be able to do the basics well.

I went within a whisker of not watching the second half the standard was that low.Do the basics as poorly in the season proper and we wont win too many games.

did menadue even play??

Only after half time. I want to be critical because I'm not sure he'll make it, but it is hard to pick up the tempo mid-game, it's easy to look out of sorts or behind the flow of the game. Not Round 1 material yet.

My bigger concern was Dan Butler. He tackles sure. But they have all had that made a focus for a couple of years now. My concern is with his judgement. Also, I suspect he is getting by on getting the easy goals, the odd Joe the Goose here and there, and other more straight-forward receives and go. He worked hard and had a breakout in 2017, and 2018 end the year injured. Hope he is simply just picking up the tempo again, but he should start in the VFL based on what I've seen.

none of those things should impact on doing the basics well.
It was our last practice game with players vieing for spots
the rules dont impact on skills and decision making
New players or not they are all expected to be able to do the basics well.

I went within a whisker of not watching the second half the standard was that low.Do the basics as poorly in the season proper and we wont win too many games.

Of course none of those things should impact on doing the basics well, but they do. Player's should not kick the ball out of bounds on the full, but they do. Jack should not miss goals with stupid around the corner kicks, but he did. His answer, I'll practice that a fair bit during the week, with a few mates as well. Key work - practice. Other key work - Match

The rules do impact on skills and especially decision making, the new rules can distract at times, shouldn't, but they do. If you watched enough footy over the two weeks, you'd have seen it with other teams as well. It'll pass.

I'll defer to the kick out of bounds on the full example again in your comment about doing basics well. Habits take a little time to learn, to implement, to execute with one thought.

What I liked was that even though it was a practice match, clearly the boys like and want to win. Our Leader said follow me. The two best takeaways for mine. Chill Flopsy Mopsy, 2nd week of March still. Are we ready to beat Carlton? I think so after that game. Collingwood the week after? Not as sure about that one. It's not a single event, the season is a narrative mate

i just worry about how hard we work for goals, always missing easy targets i50, kicking to the pockets, dud kicks to blokes on the lead, poor leading patterns in general (other than JR), shithouse conversion

defensively across the ground we’re very good, got some match winners, experienced group, but can see us running out of gas again if we can’t put teams away earlier and find some easier ways to score

plus we need more blokes who can take a contested mark and win a contested ball in the middle

basically same probs as most of 2017 and all of last year

would hate to be a paul roos swans and only win one flag with this list because we are too defensive

I reckon we're our own worse enemy going forward. We deadset shoot ourselves in the foot to the tune of 2-4 certain goals a game, no exaggeration. Its that extra handball or kick we seem to always go for when we dont need to, that kills momentum.

Major factor of why we didnt blow away more sides last year imo, we'd lairise, miss a couple of easy ones that wouldve put the game beyond doubt and instead allow the other side to just hang in there. Then theyd come home with some late junk time goals which flattered the scoreboard. From memory the hawthorn games(both) the geelong games(both) the bombers games(both) are the games that really stood out for mine where we looked legitimately like a 10-12 goal better side but only won by 2-5 goals each time

Rance did everything to avoid pushing roughy and got all the way around his body and spoiled it and umps still call the free. you could see it in rance's grin that he believes that theres an ump conspiracy against us
Was a farcical decision , love to be a fly on the wall in the umps post game review when the boss rewinds and says look at this * up

A lot is made of our wasted chances going forward, but put it this way: I'd rather Butler screw up by passing it to a teammate and being selfless, as opposed to the few times he was selfish and tried to get the goals himself and stuffed up.

You're having a laugh if you actually think the fact that its the last preseason game before the real s**t starts isnt a factor in the poor skills, effort, etc. The guys making the errors were mostly senior guys who are locked in the side, all they care about is getting match kms in the legs.

Id rather this rust now than how good we looked in preseason last year tbh.

Like a hawks poster a few pages back said, this arrogance reminds me of the hawks in their prime. They played s**t most preseasons, just turned it on for a qtr or so to make aure they still had "it", and then back to sleep walking. We are so confident atm that preseason is purely for match fitness.

Good signs to drag our way back, these slow starts are a tad concerning though.
i just worry about how hard we work for goals, always missing easy targets i50, kicking to the pockets, dud kicks to blokes on the lead, poor leading patterns in general (other than JR), shithouse conversion

defensively across the ground we’re very good, got some match winners, experienced group, but can see us running out of gas again if we can’t put teams away earlier and find some easier ways to score

plus we need more blokes who can take a contested mark and win a contested ball in the middle

basically same probs as most of 2017 and all of last year

would hate to be a paul roos swans and only win one flag with this list because we are too defensive

It really does feel that way somethings... we scrap and battle our way up the field to score and then the oppo breezes down and kicks a reply. Lynch will obviously be really beneficial to our bomb lunches in f50. It's really quite something when we're able to transition from end to end. I distinctly Shedda was the finisher in a marvelous coast to coast run against Adelaide last year. Very much looking forward to more of these moments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rance did everything to avoid pushing roughy and got all the way around his body and spoiled it and umps still call the free. you could see it in rance's grin that he believes that theres an ump conspiracy against us
Even Roughy game him a little smile which I thought was amusing, the players understand the inconsistency of the umps better than most of us

For mine it shows the key to our season once again is our pressure. In our 2 JLT games when the pressure wasn't there the oppo cut us up with ease, when it ramped up the oppo sh!t itself & had no answer to us going the other way either.

Even funnier as they were happy for us to be literally pushed out of the contest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fwd can now push block or hold but the defender cant. Thats why the comparisons with previous defenders of yesteryear is unfair, if we are to compare rules v rules.

Heard the Hawks kicking coach Guru talk a couple of years back. He spoke about how some players are good looking kicks and some players are effective kicks. Ie Clinton Young v Sam Mitchell.

Houli would have to be the best looking s**t kick in the AFL atm. I'd legitimately have him in the bottom 3 Richmond kicks ATM. He hardly ever puts it to players up the fields advantage.

You're having a laugh if you actually think the fact that its the last preseason game before the real s**t starts isnt a factor in the poor skills, effort, etc. The guys making the errors were mostly senior guys who are locked in the side, all they care about is getting match kms in the legs.

Id rather this rust now than how good we looked in preseason last year tbh.

Like a hawks poster a few pages back said, this arrogance reminds me of the hawks in their prime. They played s**t most preseasons, just turned it on for a qtr or so to make aure they still had "it", and then back to sleep walking. We are so confident atm that preseason is purely for match fitness.
Thanks... exactly what I've been thinking reading this thread (ans during the game live) but too lazy (and you nailed it!!)

A lot is made of our wasted chances going forward, but put it this way: I'd rather Butler screw up by passing it to a teammate and being selfless, as opposed to the few times he was selfish and tried to get the goals himself and stuffed up.

When you are within 30 metres directly in front you shouldn’t be passing off unless there is no one else within cooee- too often we are trying to thread the needle which causes the errors.

Last edited:
We have looked fairly sluggish in both practice matches, blues have improved so we need to be ready come opening bounce. I can see round 1 being closer than a lot think
It always is, Blues peak in rd 1 every year FFS

the issue is he (and others) fk both up

id rather they quit screwing around and get ruthless, kick the goals they should and bring their team mates into the game when it’s on

should be kicking 20 goals most weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back