Review JLT Series Game 3: Sydney v St Kilda, Albury (7:10pm Sun 12-Mar)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm most definitely not on that train. He did enough in his one outing to get his chance later this year. Florent is an attacker, Newman a defender, I really don't get this comparison.
Newmans is a neafl player

Did stuff all in the first jlt

If that's enough to get him a game well I'm pulling the boots on

Last edited:

I wish I was at least 6ft

Hate being short
Here here... However, think of all the positives.

Don't have to travel as far to tie up your laces.
Have a more solid (lower) centre of gravity.
Most clothing items can be altered to fit, unlike if you were simply too big for them.
You never have to duck into rooms/doorways etc.
The risk of a low flying bird finishing you off is considerably lower.
etc etc.

I think there's rightful frustration with Reid. It's hard to explain but to me it's like Lloyd, Mills, Jack, anyone can get 25-30 touches, lay a heap of tackles and play a crucial part in our forward forays or our ball movement and they will still be criticised whether it be for disposal efficiency or slowness etc. All Reid has to do is take a few marks between forward 50 and the centre square and give a few passes to Buddy and he's done "what we wanted" or "all he needs". I get the position he plays requires less physicality and less possessions than a rover or a rebounding defender, but considering he has one of the easiest roles in the team he just doesn't do enough, and he doesn't do it frequently enough either. If he's going to play that position, he needs to excel at it, or it's just a waste and we're practically playing with 21 blokes instead of 22.

CHF has long been regarded as one of the most difficult positions in the game. It is a bit rich to say he has an easy job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's rightful frustration with Reid. It's hard to explain but to me it's like Lloyd, Mills, Jack, anyone can get 25-30 touches, lay a heap of tackles and play a crucial part in our forward forays or our ball movement and they will still be criticised whether it be for disposal efficiency or slowness etc. All Reid has to do is take a few marks between forward 50 and the centre square and give a few passes to Buddy and he's done "what we wanted" or "all he needs". I get the position he plays requires less physicality and less possessions than a rover or a rebounding defender, but considering he has one of the easiest roles in the team he just doesn't do enough, and he doesn't do it frequently enough either. If he's going to play that position, he needs to excel at it, or it's just a waste and we're practically playing with 21 blokes instead of 22.

Absolute rubbish. Not worth of a reply.

Absolute rubbish. Not worth of a reply.

Hardly rubbish. The only reason Reid has had a guaranteed spot in the senior side is because his position is important to the team and there hasn't been anyone else besides XR who could play it. In terms of output he's been no better than fringe blokes like Laidler, Cunningham etc. Yet they struggle to get games because they're facing pretty tough competition for their spots. Reid's gotten a bit of a free pass because everyone has hope of him being in a star in that role when really it's been over five years of mediocrity acting under the guise of injuries.

Hardly rubbish. The only reason Reid has had a guaranteed spot in the senior side is because his position is important to the team and there hasn't been anyone else besides XR who could play it. In terms of output he's been no better than fringe blokes like Laidler, Cunningham etc. Yet they struggle to get games because they're facing pretty tough competition for their spots. Reid's gotten a bit of a free pass because everyone has hope of him being in a star in that role when really it's been over five years of mediocrity acting under the guise of injuries.

Sam Reid is not mediocre. You wanted him to be a superstar, but the team needed him to be a utility. You speak as if it is his fault that he has not achieved what you wanted him to achieve, when he has done what the coaching staff asked him. You speak as if he is permanently injured but that is clearly not the case (as supported by the stats). As for injuries that he carries through the year, I'll let you in on a little secret... they all do!

He has great hands, plays a whole lot more than occasionally, he averages 2.28 x 1%ers a game, has built up some serious bulk, follows coaching instructions to a T, and is a credible and worthy member of our team. He's not yet of the same calibre as Parker, Hannebery, Jack and Rampe (let alone Josh & Buddy), but he has every chance of getting there. He has never gotten a free pass and is a worthy member of team, fills the role he asked to play (wherever it may be!), and Plugger is now on the scene to provide additional kicking training.

Most of you are pissed that he hasn't yet filled his potential, but boys are like that (as most of you should know). Some at 19 are as big/strong/tough/smart as they are ever going to get, others don't get their till they are 24/25.

The only reason Reid has had a guaranteed spot in the senior side is because his position is important to the team and there hasn't been anyone else besides XR who could play it.

What a crock! Do you really think that any of our team would be playing if there was someone better than them to play in their place?!!!!

XR was mediocre, Sam Reid is not.

Sam Reid is not mediocre. You wanted him to be a superstar, but the team needed him to be a utility. You speak as if it is his fault that he has not achieved what you wanted him to achieve, when he has done what the coaching staff asked him. You speak as if he is permanently injured but that is clearly not the case (as supported by the stats). As for injuries that he carries through the year, I'll let you in on a little secret... they all do!

He has great hands, plays a whole lot more than occasionally, he averages 2.28 x 1%ers a game, has built up some serious bulk, follows coaching instructions to a T, and is a credible and worthy member of our team. He's not yet of the same calibre as Parker, Hannebery, Jack and Rampe (let alone Josh & Buddy), but he has every chance of getting there. He has never gotten a free pass and is a worthy member of team, fills the role he asked to play (wherever it may be!), and Plugger is now on the scene to provide additional kicking training.

Most of you are pissed that he hasn't yet filled his potential, but boys are like that (as most of you should know). Some at 19 are as big/strong/tough/smart as they are ever going to get, others don't get their till they are 24/25.

What a crock! Do you really think that any of our team would be playing if there was someone better than them to play in their place?!!!!

XR was mediocre, Sam Reid is not.

XR was mediocre I agree, a shame his season was statistically ahead of Reids career averages in every category though.

How do you know what the coaches instructions to Reid are? Unless they have been for years run around and touch the ball little then his output has been mediocre at best

He has no chance if getting up there with the players you list, but then you are saying people are pissed he has not filled his potential and expect too much?

Reid is 26 this year better hit this magical emergence peak soon, he is not some young promising kid anymore, he is well paid, long term contracted and failed to deliver

Plenty of players do more, right now he needs to pass what XR gave us, which he has not done yet over 98 games

XR was mediocre I agree, a shame his season was statistically ahead of Reids career averages in every category though.

How do you know what the coaches instructions to Reid are? Unless they have been for years run around and touch the ball little then his output has been mediocre at best

He has no chance if getting up there with the players you list, but then you are saying people are pissed he has not filled his potential and expect too much?

Reid is 26 this year better hit this magical emergence peak soon, he is not some young promising kid anymore, he is well paid, long term contracted and failed to deliver

Plenty of players do more, right now he needs to pass what XR gave us, which he has not done yet over 98 games
I don't know what the coaches instructions are, but it's a reasonable extrapolation that he does follow instructions because Horse and co keep playing him, praising him and saying that he does. They see him as dependable and an asset to the team.

Yes I agree that last year we should have seen a carry on of the improvement we saw at the end of 2015, building to his best year yet in 2016. But he was out with injury... so I'm expecting it this year. If he plays all year and makes no contribution, then I'll agree that there is an issue.

But I would ask, how do you know what he is paid? :D

Statistics do not tell the whole story... however Reid averages 2.28 1%ers a game, XR sure as hell doesn't. And I won't be measuring Reid's worth in our team against someone else's statistics, but more on whether I think that he has had an impact or could have done more. If he held his man out of the contest (to give Buddy & Tippet space), then there will be no statistic for this, but he will have impacted the game. The same goes in defence. I do think that he is difficult to quantify in terms of his place in the team because he seems to play different positions depending on where he is needed (in Horse's opinion).

If you are saying that he has too many injuries, then can you give me the stats on that (cause I'm too lazy :p). But even if that was correct, it would mean that he was injury prone and not mediocre.

IMO Sam would get a run in any team in the comp...

Given our list and structure he should start the year but regardless of wether he has been goid, bad, unlucky etc now is the year to deliver
Absolutely agree with this and expect him to do so

Just demonstrates how misleading and useless statistics are in evaluating a footballer especially as a comparator between footballers. Reid is a class above Richards in all the vital components of his game. Pace, leading ability. marking especially contested pack marking and as a link man leading up the ground towards the clearing defenders. Maybe that's why Richards is playing for Sydney Uni. Reid came back.

I don't know what the coaches instructions are, but it's a reasonable extrapolation that he does follow instructions because Horse and co keep playing him, praising him and saying that he does. They see him as dependable and an asset to the team.

Yes I agree that last year we should have seen a carry on of the improvement we saw at the end of 2015, building to his best year yet in 2016. But he was out with injury... so I'm expecting it this year. If he plays all year and makes no contribution, then I'll agree that there is an issue.

But I would ask, how do you know what he is paid? :D

Statistics do not tell the whole story... however Reid averages 2.28 1%ers a game, XR sure as hell doesn't. And I won't be measuring Reid's worth in our team against someone else's statistics, but more on whether I think that he has had an impact or could have done more. If he held his man out of the contest (to give Buddy & Tippet space), then there will be no statistic for this, but he will have impacted the game. The same goes in defence. I do think that he is difficult to quantify in terms of his place in the team because he seems to play different positions depending on where he is needed (in Horse's opinion).

If you are saying that he has too many injuries, then can you give me the stats on that (cause I'm too lazy :p). But even if that was correct, it would mean that he was injury prone and not mediocre.

IMO Sam would get a run in any team in the comp...
So he is a decoy for buddy and Tippett then ?

So he is a decoy for buddy and Tippett then ?
If that's what Horse asks of him, then yes with a brilliant set of hands, a great leading up ability, and a few 1%ers...

What specifically do you want of him Punts? What stats would make him worthy of his position in the team? Is it 30 goals a year? 26 touches a game? The King! shares your opinion and I just don't get it. Help me to understand why you guys are so down on him...

Big year for Reidy. I think, given a good crack at it, he'll contribute more to the stat sheet which should help alleviate some criticism.

However, IMO, he is already an important member of the best 22 each week in any event, stats or not. His size & skill set should mean he is able to fill roles others can't & it's that flexibility & willingness to play multiple roles (often selflessly) which means he'll continue to be picked. Not how many goals he kicks (if he's been asked to run decoy or link up). Not how many disposals he gets (if he's been asked to block out or crash packs). Etc etc.

We don't know what role & kpi's he has been given each week. What we do know is he keeps getting picked & publicly praised for his role. That says to me he's contributing & doing what needs to be done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back