Review JLT Wizard Fosters Ansett Series Cup the Thrice - Ess v Geel - 22 point loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Look the first half was great but you'd be mad to not be concerned slightly about the second.
Agreed. Our midfield only seems to be productive for 2 to 2 and a half quarters. That's my biggest worry. Can't seem to stop clearance after clearance once the momentum swings against us. Opposition pile on the goals for that reason.

As much as I would like to say that this is just JLT, round 1 is less than a fortnight away.

With Luey injured, I think we'll struggle. It is no coincidence that we started to get smashed today and vs Collingwood when McKernan started rucking.

Happy with our production in the first half, but I just knew that it wouldn't last. It's been that way for a while. That's a worry

I'm actually glad we didn't win a JLT game.
I want this team to celebrate their first win in a game that actually matters.
Round 1 would be nice.

Geelong are still a pretty good side and a good chance for the top 4, it's only a few idiots on BF who have written them off. While the 3rd quarter fade out was dissapointing there was an awful lot to like about today. We do have good options in backline players and the midfield is still learning how to play together. Good times.

Last edited:
B

True.... you guys usually try to win your pre-season games. Disappointing result. To make matters worse, Mitchell and Lewis are starring for WC and Melbourne.
True. I wasn't trying to be smart - just find it funny that us, you, everyone is saying the exact same thing.

I don't think anyone 'try's' overly hard to win these -13 we didn't win one. It's hard not to get caught up in it all - god how long since we have seen footy? Come round 5 though this weekend will mean nothing.

Mate seeing Sam Mitchell in another jumper is horrible - imagine Hird in a Blues Guernsey!! I wish him nothing but the best though. Lewis also, but Mitch so much more. We lost Bud too, life will go on, it's not the end of the world, just footy these days.

All the best for the year man.

Was i the only one not surprised when we gave up our lead? Every single game (in the past 3 years) we have had a big lead, we have coughed it up and either lost or just won
No

I said as much in the second quarter. Not even in a sooky way. We have been taking the foot off the pedal in the second half right through JLT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked good in the first half

but in the second half it looked like boys against men.

Probably be a couple of years for the younger team members to bulk up.

Was i the only one not surprised when we gave up our lead? Every single game (in the past 3 years) we have had a big lead, we have coughed it up and either lost or just won

Yeah its pretty scary how certain I was that our massive lead was about to evaporate. In fairness - I had also watched the Hawthorn vs Geelong JLT match which unfolded in a similar fashion. We have issues though with our clearance structures and players.

I feel sorry for our defenders at times.

Small backs are our major concern. We have no genuine back flankers (Hibberd was our only one) who can reliably defend a player & counterattack with minimum error.

Baguley has turned spud, Gleeson shows dash but still brain fades, Goddard, Stanton & Kelly can kick, but can't defend & are too slow under pressure.

Massive concern for us.

True. I wasn't trying to be smart - just find it funny that us, you, everyone is saying the exact same thing.

I don't think anyone 'try's' overly hard to win these -13 we didn't win one. It's hard not to get caught up in it all - god how long since we have seen footy? Come round 5 though this weekend will mean nothing.

Mate seeing Sam Mitchell in another jumper is horrible - imagine Hird in a Blues Guernsey!! I wish him nothing but the best though. Lewis also, but Mitch so much more. We lost Bud too, life will go on, it's not the end of the world, just footy these days.

All the best for the year man.
Yeah the drew the Bryce Gibbs Cup cost us Bryce Gibbs

Pretty typical game. Cats no motivation in the first half us the opposite. 2nd half Cats get a stir up and motivation and we are happy with our work and start to rest easy with no motivation at all.

Impressed with our scoring power talls in Mckernan, Stewart were excellent and the smalls elite in hitting the board and pressure.

Ball movement was excellent aswell. Pretty stoked with the way we looked i only watched the first half really but thats all i needed.

Leunberger the worse news.

Problem is, we're saying the same thing

You can't seriously think plugging 4 blokes into 4 vacancies is the same as attempting to fashion a team out of 10 new recruits, 10 returners and 20 other blokes. I haven't counted but by at a guess someone like Watson or Stanton has never played an AFL game with 25 players on our list.

Geelong are still a pretty good side and a good chance for the top 4, it's only a few idiots on BF who have written them off. While the 3rd quarter fade out was dissapointing there was an awful lot to like about today. We do have good options in backline players and the midfield is still learning how to play together. Good times.

This is true and in that third term the cats do what good sides do and that is they lift to take advantage of the other side relaxing a bit, the difference in that match was the difference between the level we expect from a top four side verses a side looking to make the eight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back