Preview JLT1: Dockers vs Collingdidnt, Monday 4th March

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure this might have been mentioned already but despite a mild melt post game, I had a closer look at our numbers.

We had 168 contested possessions last week. We didn't get close to that in 2018, as it is, that number being the biggest for every game so far in the JLT. We were in the bottom three last season for contested possessions, surrounded by St Kilda, Carlton, Gold Coast Brisbane & Western Bulldogs.

Collingwood went with us with those numbers, so it was a legitimate hit out, so just a bit disappointing that we produced those numbers and still lost.

It's not a pure indicator that you're a good or bad team, but certainly a stronger correlation for the better sides.

Darcy Tucker produced 15 contested from 19 disposals which is super impressive and only three 'clangers'.

Even if we lose to WCE today and produce similar contested numbers I'll be pretty happy.

Last edited:
I'm sure this might have been mentioned already but despite a mild melt post game, I had a closer look at our numbers.

We had 168 contested possessions last week. We didn't get close to that in 2018, as it as that number being the biggest for every game so far in the JLT. We were in the bottom three last season for contested possessions, surrounded by St Kilda, Carlton, Gold Coast Brisbane & Western Bulldogs.

Collingwood went with us with those numbers, so it was a legitimate hit out, so just a bit disappointing that we produced those numbers and still lost.

It's not a pure indicator that you're a good or bad team, but certainly a stronger correlation for the better sides.

Darcy Tucker produced 15 contested from 19 disposals which is super impressive and only three 'clangers'.

Even if we lose to WCE today and produce similar contested numbers I'll be pretty happy.

Good points. I’d just be interested in a comparison to our JLT games last year, particularly the win over WC. If there’s an increase over those numbers, and it continues through JLT this year, as you say we can accept that we’re making progress in this one area.

What I’d also add is that good teams are consistently winning games regardless of winning the contested possession count or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back