Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yah I was surprised by Hunt critiques, looked as lively as anyone in our back half. Will never be a huge ball winner down there but he'll have his moments.

He looked ok, the critique is he needs to be more than ok to break into the side

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yah true. Certainly my expectations of him are so low at this stage that anything seems like a pass lol.

Pretty much yeah.
He wasn't bad or anything played a 6 out of 10 but he needed more. We could badly use his run an carry it's a shame

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
I remember thinking last year that Hunt just needed to stay more involved in the game, and not disappear for large chunks of the game, which is what he did yesterday.

What I will give him as an out, is the back line he was working in was never going to help him get his hands on it and stay involved, so next week is his real chance to push his case

Excuse the intrusion.

Thought I'd drop by and see what you guys thought of Preuss and noticed a few comments about his tank.

This is exactly why he wasn't given a game at North, knew he wouldn't be able to play out entire games at a high pace, and why we were so frustrated when he said he wanted out for more opportunity- cause we knew he wasn't ready for that opportunity and needed more development.

You're going to have to get him doing some serious cardio to build that tank, it's the one thing that will hold him back, its certainly developed a bit over the last 2 yrs, but not nearly enough to be a regular selection. If you can get that right he will dominate smaller rucks (which is most of them in comparison).

If Hunt can't break into the side this year he'll be treading water and looking at a possible delisting end of 2020. He isn't a young kid anymore, turns 24 this year.
I reckon he'll have 3-4 more years on the list to prove himself, JKH style

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Watched the first half or so and followed the rest on the AFL app.

Preuss was pretty unimpressive in the ruck. I heard he was awesome against the Pies though. Unless Max goes down injured then based on yesterday I'd say Preuss plays mainly at Casey.

Oliver and Brayshaw were magnificent. Petracca looked basically the same as last year. Will he break out like Brayshaw did out of nowhere? Or will he always be brilliant in patches but lack consistency across 4 quarters?

Was a bit sad seeing a blonde guy in 23 that wasn't Bernie, but I think Jordon was ok.

Joel Smith has half the battle down pat, he's a pretty good kick for goal. Took a beautiful grab too. The challenge now is to get the ball more.

Weideman is a big boy now. Stretch has been eating his protein (but still looks like depth)

And finally, the fact people are writing us off for the flag based on this performance is the funniest thing I'll read all week. They'll want Goody sacked if we lose to Brisbane.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I actually think we learned a fair bit.

We desperately need runners off half back. Tigers run out of defence compared to us made us look embarrassing. Besides Hibberd who can run and carry, I'm not sure we had anyone else out who will improve this for us. Salem should move back which will help ball movement, but not that run and carry. So Jayden Hunt was the biggest disappointment for me. We need him to lift and he's looking like a bust now more than a chance to make best 22. Crows also look elite in this area with Smith, Milera and Laird all quick and smart users. Bombers have a few as well. So it's one area i can see us struggling with compared to teams around us.

Pruess clearly doesn't have a tank. He couldnt even get to a boundary throw in the 2nd quarter. His ruckwork was just ok for mine. Didn't impress me at all and looks likely to be a liability more than a help. Happy to wait and see how he goes with Gawn, but if Gawn gets injured, we're still in real strife.

We are also desperate for a quick intuitive forward crumber. Garlett looks past it and Spargo gives 100%, but lacks that pace. The Eagles have two elite in this area and Tigers have 3 or 4.

Our depth is ok, but we still have dead wood. JKH, Stretch, Wagners and Maynard look in trouble. Garlett and Hunt could be done as well. Yes, one game in JLT, but same issues as last year for both. Kielty and Petty did some nice things which suggests we have pretty good KPD depth.

Brayshaw and Oliver are both stars. Unbelievable.

Petracca looks fit. Struggles to run out games still, so we'll see how he goes next week. But his impact after half time seems minimal compared to 1st halves. But he looks fit which gives him a chance to improve in this area.

We still have issues moving into the F50. It looks like we will win enough of the ball and move it forward, but hitting targets still looks to be a problem. We need the ball in Salem, Fritsch and Melksham's hands moving into the forward half as much as possible.

We'll obviosly know more when we get a full strength side, but i feel we did get a bit from today. And even though we struggled after quarter time, we were still within a goal late in the match with half our team out and many areas to improve. Tigers should have won by 6 goals though. Score flattered us a bit. Next week will confirm a few things and hopefully shed some light on others.

We desperately need pacey and skillful runners off half back, just like we did last season.
We desperately need a quality small forward goal sneak, just like we did last season.
Our depth is okay but we have dead wood, just like last season.
Petracca struggles to run out games...
We win enough ball and move it forward, but struggle to hit targets...
We went missing for a huge chunk of the match...

Just like we did last season. As I said, I don't think we learned much at all.

If Brayshaw and Oliver are stars, Oliver is a superstar. He's head and shoulders above as our best player.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
We had two players with over 100 games of experience, Richmond had 12. Let’s not get to carried away with the negatives from yesterday’s game.

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Hunt can't break into the side this year he'll be treading water and looking at a possible delisting end of 2020. He isn't a young kid anymore, turns 24 this year.
Can't see him getting delisted, maybe traded away for a low pick. Other clubs would be interested in him.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
We desperately need pacey and skillful runners off half back, just like we did last season.
We desperately need a quality small forward goal sneak, just like we did last season.

If Brayshaw and Oliver are stars, Oliver is a superstar. He's head and shoulders above as our best player.
Felt a bit that way. Okay first preseason match and all, but individuals somehow managed to live up to exactly what I expected from them. Because we’ve already seen it.

I talk myself into this crap every year - helped on by an addiction to off season puff pieces. But I’m not seeing the great change or the great breakouts etc at this point.

Having said that, Oliver is a gun and never disappoints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know where I can get a free replay?

Thought Telstra customers got AFL live pass free but its trying to charge me a subscription fee.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Felt a bit that way. Okay first preseason match and all, but individuals somehow managed to live up to exactly what I expected from them. Because we’ve already seen it.

I talk myself into this crap every year - helped on by an addiction to off season puff pieces. But I’m not seeing the great change or the great breakouts etc at this point.

Having said that, Oliver is a gun and never disappoints

Agree, let’s just pack it in for 2019 tbh

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Agree, let’s just pack it in for 2019 tbh
Look, we all know we are in the mix. But we also know we still need one or two pieces of the puzzle to move into place for that to happen. I feel run and carry from defence will be even more important this year with the rule changes. Who do we have with pace and skill out of defence? I think that's why Hunt has been critiqued so much. 10 posessions compared to a Rory Laird, Brody Smith and Milera combo at Adelaide is not going to cut it. The new rules allow even more for run and dash out of the back half.

With Salem and Hibberd we can hit targets, but I'm concerned about the lack of quick players. Hunt is crucial for us to have a real tilt next couple of years. He needs to do more than what he's produced in the last 18 months or so. Maybe Baker could play the role?

Same with our F50 efficiency. It doesn't look like we cleaned this area up at all. If we're going to match it with the big boys this season, these two areas are things we desperately need to improve, and I didn't see any sign of improvement yesterday. Like I've said, let's see a full strength team and see if these two areas improve. I doubt the run out of defence will, as we are lacking pacey players who can play that role.

Look, we all know we are in the mix. But we also know we still need one or two pieces of the puzzle to move into place for that to happen. I feel run and carry from defence will be even more important this year with the rule changes. Who do we have with pace and skill out of defence? I think that's why Hunt has been critiqued so much. 10 posessions compared to a Rory Laird, Brody Smith and Milera combo at Adelaide is not going to cut it. The new rules allow even more for run and dash out of the back half.

With Salem and Hibberd we can hit targets, but I'm concerned about the lack of quick players. Hunt is crucial for us to have a real tilt next couple of years. He needs to do more than what he's produced in the last 18 months or so. Maybe Baker could play the role?

Same with our F50 efficiency. It doesn't look like we cleaned this area up at all. If we're going to match it with the big boys this season, these two areas are things we desperately need to improve, and I didn't see any sign of improvement yesterday. Like I've said, let's see a full strength team and see if these two areas improve. I doubt the run out of defence will, as we are lacking pacey players who can play that role.
Part of the reason we recruited KK though?

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Going into the game with the team we named, anything within 30 points was a win for mine. 12 points is fine albeit the scoring shots differential was more reflective of the game.

That said adding Gawn alone would have ensured we remained dominant around the stoppages. Not to mention May on Nankervis.

I also think we’re being a little harsh on Preuss. Certainly hasn’t got the tank big Max does (neither did Max at his age), but being a deep target forward and pinch hitting in the ruck like he did against Collingwood is his go.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Part of the reason we recruited KK though?
I hope so. TBH I have never seen him play, so I couldn't comment on his pace and skill. I'm guessing he's not electric like Hunt is though. I just wish Hunt could use the ball. Even at an ok level. Did anyone see his handball that missed the target by over a metre with little to no pressure? Him and Jeffy's form from 2 years ago would be very very beneficial in 2019. Just not sure either will get close to that form again.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Going into the game with the team we named, anything within 30 points was a win for mine. 12 points is fine albeit the scoring shots differential was more reflective of the game.

That said adding Gawn alone would have ensured we remained dominant around the stoppages. Not to mention May on Nankervis.

I also think we’re being a little harsh on Preuss. Certainly hasn’t got the tank big Max does (neither did Max at his age), but being a deep target forward and pinch hitting in the ruck like he did against Collingwood is his go.
I'm not sure we have any other option? Preuss simply can't run out a game of football. So pinch hitting in the ruck and playing at FF is the only way this will work. Clearly Gawn on the ball is the better option for us anyway. I'd like to see Preuss play a game mostly at FF and see if he shows something. Clunking a few marks and bringing the ball to ground will be his role and relieving Gawn in the ruck for 5 minute bursts. I'm really hoping we play that way next game so we can see what Goody has in mind. Preuss with his size alone will be a handful at FF. Having him and Gawn resting there will mean our opposition will have to play 3 tall defenders which will stretch some teams. Luckily TMac and Weid are fairly mobile big men, but we are definitely in need of 1 or 2 more quick forwards to lock that ball in. Jeffy needs to find form as much as Hunt IMO..

Managed to watch the first quarter. Love how untouchable some of Richmonds players are... Dusty hits Harmes in the face twice and earns himself a free kick LOL

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
A few questions from the new guy who’s only watched the 2018 games, and knows pretty much nothing else (about the Dees or footy for that matter).

What’s the overall concern with Hunt? Are his disposals just poor? Bad decision making? Not good enough competing in ground contests? All I really knew of the guy was that it was a hell of a lot of fun when he would take off running with the ball. Admittedly he stopped getting games fairly early in the season so I’m sure there were major problems with his game.

As for need of a small forward, can’t Spargo or Fritsch adequately fill this role?

GoGeta

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2013
Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
Haha what's with the cats bloke it was ******* pre season.
Didn't we kick like 8 goals in a quarter basically against their best side? Then proceed get raped by that same one for the next quarter an a half?

Disgusting terminology used by immature people.

Back