Game Day JLT1 - Richmond v Melbourne - Sunday March 3rd, 4.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

I do sometimes wonder if Betts had kicked that goal if our season would have fallen in a hole. The media and fans would have been relentless and the choking tag can stick with you for ages
But luck was with us
Look, we all know we are in the mix. But we also know we still need one or two pieces of the puzzle to move into place for that to happen. I feel run and carry from defence will be even more important this year with the rule changes. Who do we have with pace and skill out of defence? I think that's why Hunt has been critiqued so much. 10 posessions compared to a Rory Laird, Brody Smith and Milera combo at Adelaide is not going to cut it. The new rules allow even more for run and dash out of the back half.

With Salem and Hibberd we can hit targets, but I'm concerned about the lack of quick players. Hunt is crucial for us to have a real tilt next couple of years. He needs to do more than what he's produced in the last 18 months or so. Maybe Baker could play the role?

Same with our F50 efficiency. It doesn't look like we cleaned this area up at all. If we're going to match it with the big boys this season, these two areas are things we desperately need to improve, and I didn't see any sign of improvement yesterday. Like I've said, let's see a full strength team and see if these two areas improve. I doubt the run out of defence will, as we are lacking pacey players who can play that role.

Leg speed is overrated if you have poor skills, our two quickest defenders are Frost and Hunt, they would be our two worst ball users from the back half.

Hibberd is quick, but as long as we move the ball quickly then we will be fine. As i said previously the reason Richmond look super quick is the move the ball so quickly.

A few questions from the new guy who’s only watched the 2018 games, and knows pretty much nothing else (about the Dees or footy for that matter).

What’s the overall concern with Hunt? Are his disposals just poor? Bad decision making? Not good enough competing in ground contests? All I really knew of the guy was that it was a hell of a lot of fun when he would take off running with the ball. Admittedly he stopped getting games fairly early in the season so I’m sure there were major problems with his game.

As for need of a small forward, can’t Spargo or Fritsch adequately fill this role?

Concerns with Hunt is his composure and ball use, his speed is elite but quite often just takes off, bombs it long to nowhere in particular and it throws out the structure of the team so to speak. On occasions quick chaotic ball movement is good but not every time. He broke onto the scene in the first half/two thirds of 2017, last year was plagued by injuries.

Firstch isn't a small forward, he plays tall for his height, excellent ball use and will be better served on a wing. Spargo can definitely play the small forward role, but doesn't have the blistering pace that some of the best small forwards in the game have. He competes physically a lot better than Garlett which is why he is selected by the coaches.

A few questions from the new guy who’s only watched the 2018 games, and knows pretty much nothing else (about the Dees or footy for that matter).

What’s the overall concern with Hunt? Are his disposals just poor? Bad decision making? Not good enough competing in ground contests? All I really knew of the guy was that it was a hell of a lot of fun when he would take off running with the ball. Admittedly he stopped getting games fairly early in the season so I’m sure there were major problems with his game.

As for need of a small forward, can’t Spargo or Fritsch adequately fill this role?
Spargo yes, Fritsch no. Charlie is a pressure player so he'll keep getting a game based on effort. Fritsch we need delivering the ball as he is one of our better kicks. I don't see him as a forward crumbing pressure type player.

Watching the new rules in action over the weekend shows a more higher scoring game. The quick entry from centre clearances are more frequent which means small crumbers will be important this season. With Jeffy out of form, we really only have Spargo who can play this role. And i wouldn't call him electric. Maybe we can turn Hunt into this player seeing he can't get enough possessions in the back half and his turnovers are so costly. I'd love a Michael Walters right now..

Disgusting terminology used by immature people.

Don't hit your head falling off your high horse ya w***er

If I said they murdered them you wouldn't have even blinked despite it being a far a worse crime so * off back to the hole you came from

Slightly OTT but yeah agree it shouldn't be used in a footballing context. I used to throw the word around myself, totally changed my mind after it happened to someone in my life. A crime worse than death in some ways.

Slightly OTT but yeah agree it shouldn't be used in a footballing context. I used to throw the word around myself, totally changed my mind after it happened to someone in my life. A crime worse than death in some ways.
I could be remembering this wrongly but I think it might be one of the phrases that have been specifically outlawed under the BF rules.

I could be remembering this wrongly but I think it might be one of the phrases that have been specifically outlawed under the BF rules.

Change it to
-strangled
-murdered
-ass ****ed
Etc

I would have thought context is fairly key here.
Have the mods sensor the word if there's a problem

They do. Log into the AFL app on your phone to reconnect your account.

Cheers!

Unfortunately my AFL app wont work. Keeps crashing no matter what I do.

Wonder if anyone else is having this issue.

Change it to
-strangled
-murdered
-ass ******
Etc

I would have thought context is fairly key here.
Have the mods sensor the word if there's a problem
I wasn’t passing judgement on your post. I just recalled (probably not accurately) that it might be one of the rules. I can’t even remember if it is or not though. The mods will do whatever. The guy should have reported the post if it bothered him rather than start up a public session on the rights and wrongs of it anyway.

Watching the replay and I recon Brayshaws kicking issues can be fixed by showing him some game tape.

He is playing like the centre bounce contest is a high in pressure as it was last year and not realising how much time he has at the clearances.

Fix that and he will absolutely dominate this year.

Agree, let’s just pack it in for 2019 tbh

Ah, the good old Bigfooty "If you're not singing the teams praises you must be writing off our chances for the year" schtick. I actually just said we didn't learn much from that pre-season game.

Ah, the good old Bigfooty "If you're not singing the teams praises you must be writing off our chances for the year" schtick. I actually just said we didn't learn much from that pre-season game.

I don't expect any praises to be sung, I'm just surprised people are expecting us to look amazing in the first game of JLT. If we have 60 inside 50s against Port and can't kick over 12 goals again I'll be agreeing with you, but for now I'm pretty meh about the preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't expect any praises to be sung, I'm just surprised people are expecting us to look amazing in the first game of JLT. If we have 60 inside 50s against Port and can't kick over 12 goals again I'll be agreeing with you, but for now I'm pretty meh about the preseason.

Who expected us to look amazing? As Topkent said, you're pretty much looking for decent individual performances. We got that from Brayshaw, Oliver and Salem. No new players were banging the door down for round 1, and the only thing I really took away from this was watching Preuss for a bit and thinking he's got a long way to go yet. Playing closer to our best back six will help but it would've been nice to see some fringe players stake a genuine claim for a spot in the round 1 side. That and some match practice / fitness are the only things to take out of pre-season games.

Who expected us to look amazing? As Topkent said, you're pretty much looking for decent individual performances. We got that from Brayshaw, Oliver and Salem. No new players were banging the door down for round 1, and the only thing I really took away from this was watching Preuss for a bit and thinking he's got a long way to go yet. Playing closer to our best back six will help but it would've been nice to see some fringe players stake a genuine claim for a spot in the round 1 side. That and some match practice / fitness are the only things to take out of pre-season games.

I do agree that the fringe players were pretty poor. We've still got quite a few journeymen on the list, guys like Smith x2/Maynard/Keilty/J Wagner just aren't going to make it and there is big question marks on Hunt and Stretch.

We desperately need pacey and skillful runners off half back, just like we did last season.
We desperately need a quality small forward goal sneak, just like we did last season.
Our depth is okay but we have dead wood, just like last season.
Petracca struggles to run out games...
We win enough ball and move it forward, but struggle to hit targets...
We went missing for a huge chunk of the match...

Just like we did last season. As I said, I don't think we learned much at all.

If Brayshaw and Oliver are stars, Oliver is a superstar. He's head and shoulders above as our best player.
LOL MELT MUCH MATE WE WERE AWESOME, UNDEFEATED SEASON COMING UP! :drunk::$

Don't hit your head falling off your high horse ya w***er

If I said they murdered them you wouldn't have even blinked despite it being a far a worse crime so **** off back to the hole you came from

Jesus, your parents raised some piece of work!

Go be an online pedant somewhere else.
He’s online - so the right place to be an online pedant surely?

But I agree with you - could be a first. I for one am utterly over randoms posting about a previous post that they thought was offensive. It’s attention seeking crap.

Watching the replay and I recon Brayshaws kicking issues can be fixed by showing him some game tape.

He is playing like the centre bounce contest is a high in pressure as it was last year and not realising how much time he has at the clearances.

Fix that and he will absolutely dominate this year.

So new rules are going to give ginger and Brayshaw more time and space to operate.... I’d say that’s a pretty good result for us.

This word offends me, now I win the internet today

Your callous misuse of the word "offends" is egregious and I demand restitution.

I really liked Petty's marking, he seemed really confident and his kicking was pretty tidy. Jordon showed some good signs. Keilty showed a bit of spring in the ruck.

I was pretty disappointed in Preuss, his timing was way off and rarely even got a hand to it in the ruck. Would of liked to have seen more from Hunt. Frosts kicking was horrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back