Game Day JLT1 v Norf - Kingston Twin Ovals, Hobart - Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Also a bi-product of Tempy Tiger being a bit lost after we finally traded Watts. Would have hurt that Tyson missed Saturday.
Poor Tempy is two from two. Jake the Muss then Wattsy...

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Are you shitting me? How the * was that even mentioned? No one on the field even slightly reacted.

That combined with the ease they dished out 50s an the game is getting softer again

Gone past him? It's his fourth year and he's spent most of the past two injured. I agree that he won't play R1 but I think it's dangerous culture-wise for any club to consider shafting a young player who has through no fault of their own struggled a bit. That's not how you build lists

They have gone past him because they've both had injury free runs and I would say have clearly defined roles in the 22. Besides the club wouldn't be considering trading him it's just food for thought.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also a bi-product of Tempy Tiger being a bit lost after we finally traded Watts. Would have hurt that Tyson missed Saturday.
I love Gus. He’s a positive kid, tough footballer and got class. I would love nothing more than to see him fulfill his potential and have a glittering career. But I think that the concussion issue may have derailed his career. This is big footy, the whole purpose of this site is for people to be able to share opinions. So you disagree with it, no problem! I’m not going to deride you for it.

Are you shitting me? How the **** was that even mentioned? No one on the field even slightly reacted.

That combined with the ease they dished out 50s an the game is getting softer again

I think the AFL has a new MO this year. The trend has been set early with the Oliver fine and the change of players failed tribunal appeals being hit with a 10k fine rather than an extra week. This, combined with the chat of investigating upgrades to Etihad Stadium makes me think we're in for a few years of revenue raising.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think the AFL has a new MO this year. The trend has been set early with the Oliver fine and the change of players failed tribunal appeals being hit with a 10k fine rather than an extra week. This, combined with the chat of investigating upgrades to Etihad Stadium makes me think we're in for a few years of revenue raising.

Sounds about right, that Oliver tap wouldn't even be a suspension in cricket .

Are you shitting me? How the **** was that even mentioned? No one on the field even slightly reacted.

They have gone past him because they've both had injury free runs and I would say have clearly defined roles in the 22. Besides the club wouldn't be considering trading him it's just food for thought.
Look, I agree that it’s ridiculous and over the top to be citing and penalising thing like that. However, neither the action or the fact that it was penalised has anything to do with “the game”. It’s peripheral at best. Carm yer farm!

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Look, I agree that it’s ridiculous and over the top to be citing and penalising thing like that. However, neither the action or the fact that it was penalised has anything to do with “the game”. It’s peripheral at best. Carm yer farm!

Mate it's all encompassing. look at robbie grays suspension, bloke went the footy protected himself and now gets a week suspension. Going to seriously see more and more guys taking short steps going into a 50/50 contest for fear of timing it poorly.

Mate it's all encompassing. look at robbie grays suspension, bloke went the footy protected himself and now gets a week suspension. Going to seriously see more and more guys taking short steps going into a 50/50 contest for fear of timing it poorly.
Yeah, look, I can understand that view. Personally I find even the Robbie Gray one very hard to come to a position on - I think it’s pretty complex. And I won’t get to form an opinion on that because it would take me too long.

Regardless, it is a good and bad thing that the AFL has clamped down so much on head incidents. And the Clayton thing is in a completely different category. Completely seperate set of circumstances and motivation to anything in the head bump category. AFL literally has a legal obligation, which I imagine it only became clear on over the last 4-6 years, to take all reasonably practicable measures to eliminate the risk of head injury (or other serious injuries) to players. It’s not their own choice really, it’s in response to the WHS act/legislation.

People like us can argue all we like that that’s what players sign up to, that it’s the way the game is played, has been for 150 years, etc., etc.. but there is no getting around the law, and the WHS act applies to all employers and the AFL is an employer. The AFL really has its hands tied with its current/recent approach to head contact.

The Oliver one is in a different category. It’s about two things: (1) the look of the game, and (2) trying to make sure that stuff doesn’t get mimicked by kids at the lower levels.

I really have no problem with either. Will it result in an overall, general softening of the game? Possibly. A lot of people think yes. I am undecided. Will it fundamentally change our game? Nah. So I think the negatives are tenuous, but I am pretty convinced of the benefits.

/rant

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah, look, I can understand that view. Personally I find even the Robbie Gray one very hard to come to a position on - I think it’s pretty complex. And I won’t get to form an opinion on that because it would take me too long.

Regardless, it is a good and bad thing that the AFL has clamped down so much on head incidents. And the Clayton thing is in a completely different category. Completely seperate set of circumstances and motivation to anything in the head bump category. AFL literally has a legal obligation, which I imagine it only became clear on over the last 4-6 years, to take all reasonably practicable measures to eliminate the risk of head injury (or other serious injuries) to players. It’s not their own choice really, it’s in response to the WHS act/legislation.

People like us can argue all we like that that’s what players sign up to, that it’s the way the game is played, has been for 150 years, etc., etc.. but there is no getting around the law, and the WHS act applies to all employers and the AFL is an employer. The AFL really has its hands tied with its current/recent approach to head contact.

The Oliver one is in a different category. It’s about two things: (1) the look of the game, and (2) trying to make sure that stuff doesn’t get mimicked by kids at the lower levels.

I really have no problem with either. Will it result in an overall, general softening of the game? Possibly. A lot of people think yes. I am undecided. Will it fundamentally change our game? Nah. So I think the negatives are tenuous, but I am pretty convinced of the benefits.

/rant

I think the Robbie Gray thing is part of a fundamental changing of our game. Some of the greatest players of all time made their name for having a single focus on the footy. on one hand the media absolutely lashes anyone who doesn't give his all in a contest and then as soon as someone gets .01 of a second off we suspend him. AFL used to be an game of instinct with a fluid free flowing game. Now it's technical and with the over the top holding the ball rules it's now become more benefitial to be second to the footy half the time. Robbie Gray didn't even bump McGovern, he was a mini second late to the ball and protected himself like anyone would do against a 100kg bloke.
Literally saying to everyone in the AFL now you should wait for the other guy to get the ball first or if you think you will be late dive out of the way

I think the Robbie Gray thing is part of a fundamental changing of our game. Some of the greatest players of all time made their name for having a single focus on the footy. on one hand the media absolutely lashes anyone who doesn't give his all in a contest and then as soon as someone gets .01 of a second off we suspend him. AFL used to be an game of instinct with a fluid free flowing game. Now it's technical and with the over the top holding the ball rules it's now become more benefitial to be second to the footy half the time. Robbie Gray didn't even bump McGovern, he was a mini second late to the ball and protected himself like anyone would do against a 100kg bloke.
Literally saying to everyone in the AFL now you should wait for the other guy to get the ball first or if you think you will be late dive out of the way
Well, again, I don’t think it’s quite so straight forward or catestrophic. There will no doubt continue to be shifts in the game. But i reckon you can, if you allow yourself, rest assured that most players will still go in hard with the footy 99.9% of their focus.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Well, again, I don’t think it’s quite so straight forward or catestrophic. There will no doubt continue to be shifts in the game. But i reckon you can, if you allow yourself, rest assured that most players will still go in hard with the footy 99.9% of their focus.

Mate they already don't. You see the majority of players slow down into contests these days. When they do go in hard now the AFL has green lit diving so you see players throw the head back over the slightest contact. I showed some of the GF to a Canadian girl and she asked why they were diving like soccer players. Couldn't even defend it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep thinking about the Viney incident from a few years back and how hard we fought to argue that when contact is inevitable a player must be allowed to brace to protect their body. I remember how much the entire footy world got behind us to argue the point.

The Gray thing has just come and gone with very little fanfair from the media.

He didn't bump, he tried to protect his body. If that is a suspendable offence then the AFL is asking players to look ahead when going for the ball and if there is a chance that you might make contact with another player going for the ball then you should not go for it.

I don't think it fundamentally changes our game because I don't think a player will ever think that way. And that kind of contact that leads to a player getting a head injury only happens once every hundred games or so. Players will take the tiny risk of suspension to win the ball.

You forget that this was before we knew about things like brain damage

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You forget that this was before we knew about things like brain damage

You cannot play a full contact 360 degree sport with inherit risk. If thats your argument then you should no longer be able to use your knee in a marking contest because it presents risk to both head and body. No more contested marks unless you jump parallel.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I keep thinking about the Viney incident from a few years back and how hard we fought to argue that when contact is inevitable a player must be allowed to brace to protect their body. I remember how much the entire footy world got behind us to argue the point.

The Gray thing has just come and gone with very little fanfair from the media.

He didn't bump, he tried to protect his body. If that is a suspendable offence then the AFL is asking players to look ahead when going for the ball and if there is a chance that you might make contact with another player going for the ball then you should not go for it.

I don't think it fundamentally changes our game because I don't think a player will ever think that way. And that kind of contact that leads to a player getting a head injury only happens once every hundred games or so. Players will take the tiny risk of suspension to win the ball.

You won't notice it's missing because players will slow up and tackle the player instead rather than risking a collision with a contest. It already happens now

astrodee

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Aston Villa. Melbourne renegades
When the footy went from battlefield to workplace, it changed the dynamic. In the 1950's parents wanted us lads to toughen up. Todays parents are a tad different.

You cannot play a full contact 360 degree sport with inherit risk. If thats your argument then you should no longer be able to use your knee in a marking contest because it presents risk to both head and body. No more contested marks unless you jump parallel.
Yeah but the AFL is getting smarter, which is a good thing. You keep comparing what players do now to how they behaved 30 years ago when it's not at all relevant. It's not as though the AFL is sitting there looking for ways to make the game different to what it used to be. They're shaping the product that they have now based on the information available, and they know a lot more than you and I do. These rule changes aren't made independently, without doubt they consult medical professionals, etc, when coming up with tribunal guidelines.

astrodee

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Aston Villa. Melbourne renegades
For those who are old enough - remember Eric Guy putting Bob Skilton in ICU with a shirtfront. There's a description gone from the game. Front page picture in The Sun. Bobby with tubes sticking out of his body.

When the footy went from battlefield to workplace, it changed the dynamic. In the 1950's parents wanted us lads to toughen up. Todays parents are a tad different.
Ah yes, I remember when my father would send me out to bat without a helmet hoping that a broken skull would turn me a thing or two about what it is to be a man.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yeah but the AFL is getting smarter, which is a good thing. You keep comparing what players do now to how they behaved 30 years ago when it's not at all relevant. It's not as though the AFL is sitting there looking for ways to make the game different to what it used to be. They're shaping the product that they have now based on the information available, and they know a lot more than you and I do. These rule changes aren't made independently, without doubt they consult medical professionals, etc, when coming up with tribunal guidelines.

Mate it's not even 30 years ago. Watch the 2006 elimination final against StKilda. It's almost a completely different sport.
Ah yes, I remember when my father would send me out to bat without a helmet hoping that a broken skull would turn me a thing or two about what it is to be a man.

Don't he stupid mate, he's not wrong. Kids of today have far less resilience than ever because they are put in cotton wool so young they are scared of adversity

I’m not sure where this steadfast confidence in the perception that gray didn’t bump comes from. To me it seems more evident that he did bump, than not. But at least I realise that that is just my interpretation/perception of the footage. I can’t possibly determine conclusively.

So many people speak in such generalisations and assumptions, and speak with such authority, that it is really impossible or pointless discussing these issues.

Gray incident looks significantly different to the Viney one to me. Really different circumstances, logistics and physics to the two collisions.

Don't he stupid mate, he's not wrong. Kids of today have far less resilience than ever because they are put in cotton wool so young they are scared of adversity
That’s not true lol, you just think it is. And even if it was children of today are also far more educated, healthy, and tolerant of others than they used to be. About a thousand different things have changed. Such is life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back