Game Day JLT1 v Norf - Kingston Twin Ovals, Hobart - Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jesus ... $1500 for that? When they AFL said they'd have zero tolerance to gut punches, they weren't kidding!

Looks like they have massive plans for the AFL HQ Christmas party this year.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
That’s not true lol, you just think it is. And even if it was children of today are also far more educated, healthy, and tolerant of others than they used to be. About a thousand different things have changed. Such is life.

Tougher environments will breed tougher people. History is littered with examples of it.

Education today is more about quantity rather than quality. Universities churn students out by the thousands - I think you'll find a more rigorous education was available decades ago, whether at uni or learning a trade. I've gone back to university again and they've been teaching things that were basic knowledge in years 10 to 12 in some of the courses I've done. Probably serves me right for doing a course via correspondence, but I still wasn't expecting that.

What metrics are you using for "healthy"? Obesity is on the rise. Dying during infancy / formative years is down. Plus, if it floats your boat, all these delightful behavioral disorders that have been created can be diagnosed on a whim. Nothing like thousands of pill-popping children.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Well, again, I don’t think it’s quite so straight forward or catestrophic. There will no doubt continue to be shifts in the game. But i reckon you can, if you allow yourself, rest assured that most players will still go in hard with the footy 99.9% of their focus.

It wasn’t malice, it wasn’t anything — it was just an accident,” Dixon told Triple M Adelaide.

“What’s a player supposed to do? They’re both sort of going at the ball and the ball’s bounced up.

“I was sitting on the bench and looking at it, it looks like Robbie’s tried to take the ball and his arms didn’t raise or anything like that.

“I don’t even know what the system is, what the rules are, what you can and can’t do — no one does.

“To be honest, I don’t think it was anything.”

Dixon said he was annoyed by the haziness around bump rules, considering that footy is 360-degree contact sport.

“We don’t know where we stand with it either,” he said.

“I get that annoyed with it. It’s a contact sport, we play a contact sport — you’ve got to realise that and s*** happens.”

That's a player who doesn't understand the rules anymore. He certainly won't be the only one

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The @AFL tribunal council argued that the two options Gray had instead of the bump was 1- tackle and 2- (wait for it) RUN AWAY from the contest!

That might officially be me done with the sport. I can't seriously watch that crap

Tougher environments will breed tougher people. History is littered with examples of it.

Education today is more about quantity rather than quality. Universities churn students out by the thousands - I think you'll find a more rigorous education was available decades ago, whether at uni or learning a trade. I've gone back to university again and they've been teaching things that were basic knowledge in years 10 to 12 in some of the courses I've done. Probably serves me right for doing a course via correspondence, but I still wasn't expecting that.

What metrics are you using for "healthy"? Obesity is on the rise. Dying during infancy / formative years is down. Plus, if it floats your boat, all these delightful behavioral disorders that have been created can be diagnosed on a whim. Nothing like thousands of pill-popping children.
People aren’t pseudo-tough like the previous generations, sure, but you’ll definitely find that this generation is going to breed much more adaptable individuals

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
People aren’t pseudo-tough like the previous generations, sure, but you’ll definitely find that this generation is going to breed much more adaptable individuals

Yet suicide rates continue to rise despite the everyone is a 'perfect winner' attitude.

Yet suicide rates continue to rise despite the everyone is a 'perfect winner' attitude.
6D7D6EC7-BA12-4FD1-8DA6-985A99CFD65B.png
C832AA14-72A7-48F8-BDBF-B1B83CE9424C.png

http://www.mindframe-media.info/for-media/reporting-suicide/facts-and-stats

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Looks like they have massive plans for the AFL HQ Christmas party this year.
Year worth of head contact fines will go on the bar tab you think? It’s genius. I’m going to work out how to get an invitation

It wasn’t malice, it wasn’t anything — it was just an accident,” Dixon told Triple M Adelaide.

“What’s a player supposed to do? They’re both sort of going at the ball and the ball’s bounced up.

“I was sitting on the bench and looking at it, it looks like Robbie’s tried to take the ball and his arms didn’t raise or anything like that.

“I don’t even know what the system is, what the rules are, what you can and can’t do — no one does.

Dixon said he was annoyed by the haziness around bump rules, considering that footy is 360-degree contact sport.

“I get that annoyed with it. It’s a contact sport, we play a contact sport — you’ve got to realise that and s*** happens.”

That's a player who doesn't understand the rules anymore. He certainly won't be the only one
Some valid points there, some absolute rubbish as well. But none of it does anything to confirm that the end of Aussie rules footy as we know it is nigh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Firstly, I actually got around to having a good look at the incident, he wasn't going for the ball, he was clearly not going to win it, and he tucked the elbow and bumped him high, it's pretty clear. I don't think it signifies the end of the game, it signifies where the AFL stands on contact to the head, it might be harsher than previous years, but I don't see it as a massive departure. The "run away" reasoning is completely absurd tho, and I highly doubt that'll be used as an alternative measure again.

As for your final point, players, as a general rule, are absolutely clueless about the laws of the game. Charlie Dixon himself, while playing in the VFL for the Gold Coast, was reported for making front on contact with Jarryd Blair. Blair had his head over the ball, and Dixon steamrolled through him at speed, he luckily made contact with his shoulder or else Blair mightn't have gotten up, but still only played a few more minutes of the game because he couldn't feel his arm apparently. Dixon took it to the tribunal with such rock solid defences as he hit him in the shoulder, not the head (the rule is from the top of the shoulder) and that Blair is 174cm, while Dixon is 200cm ... because thats relevant when Blair was bent over the ball. Suffice to say, he missed a week.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
So people who commit suicide aren’t resilient? I used to think that too mate but mental illness is a different beast.

I didn't say that and that's a whole different topic. Shouldn't have brought it up wasn't the focus of my gripe anyway.

I Googled it and the Bereau of statistics had it at a 10 year high in 2016. Regardless we are way off topic. People are soft nowadays end of
Yeah and those suicides are more prevalent among older people than younger. Milennials have the lowest suicide rate of current age groups, and also whilst suicide rates have grown over the last few decades youth suicide has grown at the lowest rate.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

What makes you say that previous generations were only superficially tough? I think you're attributing some kind of West Side Story idea of posturing to previous generations. Living conditions now are better now than ever and people are a product of their environment. I wonder if you carried out a small experiment and transported a number of young peeps from Durban, South Africa to Melbourne, Australia and vice versa, who would have a more difficult time negotiating their new environment. As Topkent says, wrapping up kids in cotton wool doesn't breed toughness. Today's society has become so risk averse that every minute risk is being eliminated, which typically involves banning this, that and everything in between. You're better off letting your sprog skin his knee and sort himself out rather than fussing over him and making it into a big deal. That's how you breed neurotic little campaigners.

Also, how are this generation more "adaptable"? I can certainly understand how young folks are more tech savvy today due to growing up with the technology, but I'm curious as what you specifically mean by that statement. Again referring back to education, a fuller and more rounded education will allow someone to carry out more generalized work. Due to the internet and technology making the world a much smaller place and giving access to greater markets, people can specialize their skill-sets more these days, but that's on the opposing road to adaptability.

What makes you say that previous generations were only superficially tough? I think you're attributing some kind of West Side Story idea of posturing to previous generations. Living conditions now are better now than ever and people are a product of their environment. I wonder if you carried out a small experiment and transported a number of young peeps from Durban, South Africa to Melbourne, Australia and vice versa, who would have a more difficult time negotiating their new environment. As Topkent says, wrapping up kids in cotton wool doesn't breed toughness. Today's society has become so risk averse that every minute risk is being eliminated, which typically involves banning this, that and everything in between. You're better off letting your sprog skin his knee and sort himself out rather than fussing over him and making it into a big deal. That's how you breed neurotic little campaigners.

Also, how are this generation more "adaptable"? I can certainly understand how young folks are more tech savvy today due to growing up with the technology, but I'm curious as what you specifically mean by that statement. Again referring back to education, a fuller and more rounded education will allow someone to carry out more generalized work. Due to the internet and technology making the world a much smaller place and giving access to greater markets, people can specialize their skill-sets more these days, but that's on the opposing road to adaptability.
Nice

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah and those suicides are more prevalent among older people than younger. Milennials have the lowest suicide rate of current age groups, and also whilst suicide rates have grown over the last few decades youth suicide has grown at the lowest rate.

Come now, an apples to apples comparison would be comparing suicide rates in a bracket now versus suicide rates in that bracket years ago. Today's generation might be lining by the dozens to throw themselves off a bridge in twenty years. Even then, it wouldn't be precisely apples to apples due to the different environment / events (ie Vietnam War vets etc). Plus, you can only kill yourself once so we should be taking the long view on these stats.

Also, getting divorced, losing a partner, chronic illness, business failure, etc are significant influences on causing people to initiate their own bucket kickings. I'm sure you can agree that your average twaddling young boob of today rarely has any experience in those areas by comparison. You've probably heard the claim that married men live longer - the reason that's probably true is because the number of guys who kill themselves after a trip through the kangaroo Family Court system when they lose the house, the car, the kids and most of their savings. Anyway, saying that, I don't think it is true that married men live longer... it just feels longer.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back