JLT2 2019 - Hawthorn v Richmond, UTAS Stadium 7:10pm AEDT 9 March 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The swing in the game happened when TOB and Mirra came on. Completelychanged how our backline functioned (or failed to function).

The end result isn't important but I'm not confident we have much backline depth if any of Stratton Frawley Brand or Sicily get injured.

Yes I Mirra and TOB are not in out best side.

The end result is that we lost by 7 or 8 points to one of the Premiership favourites. Sure it is only JLT but there were signs.

A fully fit Scrimshaw is going to be a weapon. He and Sicily down back will be a delight to watch.

Lewis can take a pack mark. Needs experience so play him.

Midfield depth a worry. Would love to see our first choice mids to be O'Meara, Wingard, Impey and Burgoyne. A lot of breakaway speed there.

My major concern was a lack of fitness. Too many just ran out of puff.

Who else saw the "Howe" trip of Brand. Commentators made absolutely no mention of it.

Scrimshaw is my biggest take away from this game. Early on we saw what he is capable of, he has all the talent to be a gun at AFL level. He still has a lot of work to do and it will take some time but i hope we pump games in to him this year and expect he will be a very good contributor by the second half of the year.

People on here are reading too much into our change of structures in the second half. We had almost the same set up as the first. Tigers were taking the piss then they turned up the heat on us which we couldn’t and won’t cope with all year. Sorry I’m not trying to be pessimistic, the reality is we are nowhere near the top echelon of teams atm. Harry Morrison playing in our best 22 for 20 weeks tells us all we need to know, good clean player who is smart user with space but not best 22 material and we’re still toying with the idea of maybe, just maybe Mirra and timid are solid afl footballers but 17 other clubs would beg to differ. I wasn’t impressed as much as others but hey, that’s just me, a pleb.

Couldn't agree much less.
Richmond weren't taking the piss. We were very good.
When they got the run on in the 2nd half, it was largely because we made some poor errors, let them off the hook with missed shots, and Clarko DID in fact throw the side around.
Add Gunners, Chad and Scully and you don't think were 'anywhere' near the top teams?
The tiggers play a game style we've struggled with the last few years, reckon we are a looooong way down the track to beating that style.
Most other teams can't do anything like that very quick run on style that can be gutting, I like us against everyone save maybe WCE and Adelaide if they are up and running.
Think we'll have some very tidy scalps at the end of the year that will have media sweating.

The kids got worn down in the end. They gassed. Fair enough.

It’s why everyone knows we need the 4-5 guns on the sidelines back in the team. You can only carry a handful of kids at any one time. They just can’t go 120 mins a game, week on week, and keep delivering. Heck, ours couldnt go 120 mins last night. It was glaring. But it is what it is at present.

Who else saw the "Howe" trip of Brand. Commentators made absolutely no mention of it.
Instinctive throwing out of the leg with bad consiquences was Howes this was a little more of a deliberate trip lucky not to have serious consiquences
No name V AFL darling though
Nothing to see here

Really enjoyed watching the game. To the point where I'll do player by player:

O'Meara - what an absolute beast had the better of Martin when he was on. 36 possessions in limited gametime is ridiculous. This guy is a beast. That goal was never in doubt.

Shiels - was just role playing. Getting miles into his legs. Lacked intensity.

Henderson - Looked really sharp. Really sharp. Wonder if having Scully around will force him to lift a gear?

Roughead - seemed like a lighter man. Got to the spots, read the ball. Jumped at it. Kicked straight. More of that please.

Smith - Did some really good things. That play on goal was terrible though. Preseason game, sure, but there are kids in the team that need to see the senior players doing the basic stuff extremely well.

Sicily - cruised. Was still head an shoulders above everyone.

Worpel - loved the work this guy puts in. People are too harsh on his disposal. He gets it in the guts. That mark in teh goal square was brilliant. Stuff of legends.

Cousins - always thought this guy had the right stuff, but last year thought I was wrong. He's loving the extra responsibility. With O'Meara, Shiels and Wingard around him properly (instead of just a quarter and a half) he'll be great.

Hardwick: cruised and lifted a bit in the last quarter. Wasn't up to his best.

Burgoyne - Showed some signs of pure brilliance and class, especially when we were on top. Head and shoulders above everyone.

Breust: sheesh. Forget that performance. That was terrible.

Frawley: Blanketed Riewodlt. Put in a very similar performance to Roughy at the other end. Was great to see. If he can do this regularly then we are in much better shape.

Impey - this guy has the support of the coaching staff and is now playing like it. Don't know, but I get the sense he either wasn't used well at Port or they didn't treat him well. He's in for a big sesason.

Puopolo: Looks fit but really didn't impact the game. Not sure what his role was.

McEvoy: Looked sharp but really wasn't clunking anything. Cobwebs I reckon.

Ceglar: There's something about Ceglar. Could be seriously good. He's not there yet but he's building.

Lewis - What a great first quarter! How much we've needed a player like this! I'm very impatient for his next 50 games, because there will be some dips in form that affect the whole side - but this guy is good.

Nash - horror night really - completely ineffectual.

Hanrahan - Honestly only noticed him in one play. It was neat work. Needs time.

Morrison - really neat player. Good tackling. Needs solid bodies around him to really shine.

Scrimshaw - This was the big surprise for me. Absolutely ripping first quarter. I want him in the side permanently. Really like what he brings.

Moore Really didn't notice him

Timbo - nah, sorry Timbo. Not a good night. Others have covered that enough.

Mirra - Fair way off it.

Also - note this followed the same pattern as the Carlton game. Complete blitz and midfield dominance then mad scientist experiment in the last half. Against Carlton it was all "oh but they didn't have any rucks and with 666 that's so important". This week.......

Well this week, the answer is O'Meara is a ******* gun, Cousins and Worpel are bulls in training and Shiels has the experience to help bring it all together.

Clarko is up to something. He/Mitchell are putting together a system that produces a performance well in excess of the sum of its parts.

Call it what you want, sure it's a practice game, but when Martin, Cotchin, and Prestia are getting spanked out of the middle it means we're onto something.

I'm pumped. The experiments were a success:
- Nash/Lewis taking defenders away and letting Roughead exploit the room
- O'Meara killing the opposition
- Impey/Scrimshaw as a rebounding combo is excellent. It means Smith and Hendo can focus on being wingman.

Plan B didn't work:
- Cousins playing the Mitchell role while the rest of the mids were rotated through sans O'Meara and Worpel- that didn't work.
- Defensive setup led by O'Brien and Mirra didn't work.

But that's ok - we learned a lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impey - this guy has the support of the coaching staff and is now playing like it. Don't know, but I get the sense he either wasn't used well at Port or they didn't treat him well. He's in for a big sesason.

20 odd pages and the first real mention of Impey, not getting near enough love in here 🤔

A few times an annoying little forward has got the best of us. When the opponents have more than a couple of these, we need a third option after stratts and dimma

I disagree the bloke is a larrikin. There are no personalities (or the players refrain from showing some personality) in the game so the second a player bucks from the traditional stock standard responses the media over uses them. It’s not his fault the media overstate him constantly.
Yeah. Over use someone funny, not someone told they are funny. Bloody hell. Just because he is different doesn't make him great to watch, over used undersused, irrelevant. I'd unplug his life support to charge my mobile.

Just watching the highlights, the crowd sounded quite bias towards Richmond - are we getting out-supported in Tassie now, or are Hawthorn fans incredibly tame?

View attachment 632215

"Oh, Dick, what a delightful mark from young Mitchell Lewis. Did you see that?"

"I did, indeed, Kitty. Very pleasurable."

Richmond have always had good support in Tassie. Plus they haven't plaued at Aurora in years so they wer always going to go along in numbers.

This might be unpopular but they have more supporters than us, doesn't mean they are better or worse, but they've got more.

Jack Higgins, is there a worse person to talk up in the entire league. Such an annoying self aggrandising tosser.

Nah that's rubbish mate. He's just a kid who doesn't have much between the ears. Which I believe actually helps him be so effective, he doesn't overthink things because he cant.

I actually don't like his interviews because it feels a bit like everyone is laughing at him.

No reason to hate the kid though. And he can play.

Great hitout and a game that both teams will take heaps from. Clarko and Dimma would both be over the moon.

From our point of view:
- First half was awesome. Scrimshaw showed a lot of class, Impey showed run, Worpel was great fun to watch (that mark on Bachar!), Rough was great, the whole team was pressuring and working really well together.
- They came hard after half time and we responded well. Had Bruest, Roughy and Smith not wasted 4 or 5 sodas between them we would of had enough to hold them off in the 4th
- Final quarter was a great education and it took a Cotchin minute to break us. We held them off really well.
- Hanrahan and TOB were a step off it and between them caused over half a dozen turnovers, so that experiment after half time cost us, especially moving Chip off Jack because he was giving him a bath
- Gunston and Wingard to return soon and Scully soon after.

They were miles better than I was expecting and I was delighted with the match, it was great to watch.

Richmond are the premiership faves and were close to full strength. The commentators waxed a bit much about how crap they were in the first half, but that was also due to our pressure and structure.

With a good run and a bit of luck, we can push to contend this year, I've no doubt now.

The first half was great and I am assuming that's our preferred setup, the second half was obviously Clarko flipping the magnets around and trying a few different options and setups.

Overall, It was a good effort by the boys and people need not be disappointed with the loss, we will be better for the experience.

These were my observations from the match.

Lewis - so much to work with here. If taking 2 big marks in the opening 90 seconds doesn't prove it, then keeping his feet and pinpointing a pass to Roughie for his first certainly should.
Scrimshaw - massive opening quarter, with 12 disposals and showing us all why he was so highly rated as a junior. Needs to get plenty of games early.
Worpel - tough as nails and found plenty of the ball, however needs to work on his composure, as he seems to just want to hack the ball forward. This is where the coaching skills of Sam Mitchell will get tested.
Moore - had another very quiet night and I still don't believe he's ready. He has all the tools for being a handy player, but needs more time in the VFL to develop them.
Cousins - unfortunately, it seemed that he was out of his depth, at times. I'm hoping that it's just a matter of getting more game time, as he definitely has potential.
Morrison - has great skills and a great footy brain. His defensive work and tackling was once again fantastic.
Nash - needs to work on his kicking and his marking, but his pressure is Cyril like. When he hits an opposition player with a tackle, they stay hit.
O'Brien - probably one of the worst games I've seen him play. He brings nothing to the side, other than a lack of heart. He needs to toughen up and start to believe in himself, before it's too late.
Brand - signs were looking good early and I wonder if perhaps the cheap shot off Riewoldt affected his game. We need to persist with playing him and give him a good run at it.
Hanrahan - did a couple of good things in the last quarter. Has potential.
Mirra - not up to it, plain and simple.
Impey - his run and dash was a definite feature of the game. I think he may have finally found his best place in the side.
Sicily - seemed to be cruising in second gear, but still seemed another level above most on the ground.
Roughead - had a massive game and seemed like the Rough of old. Let's hope that it's an indication of things to come.
Hardwick - seemed to make a slow start, which is unusual, however improved as the game wore on.
Bruest - appeared to have played a lesser game, than he actually did. Perhaps it was those couple of misses on goal, that made it appear that way.
Frawley - was a Colossus down back and always gets more criticism than he deserves. If he wasn't playing, we'd have conceded another 6-8 goals, easily.
O'Meara - he was absolutely prolific and if there is anything positive to take from the injury to Mitchell, it's that it will give Jaeger the opportunity to step up and make people take notice.
Shiels - appeared to just be going through the motions. Not of concern though, yet anyway.
Puopolo - had a very uninspiring game, very uncharacteristic for him.
Ceglar - had a massive game and has to easily be the best 2nd ruck in the league. Would be better than half the league's 1st choice ruckmen.
McEvoy - played well, although not to his usually high standard.
Stratton - barely noticed him to be honest. Hopefully just an off game, because we need him firing and marshalling that backline.
Henderson - looked very, very sharp and just hope that once Scully is fit, we still have a place for him in the side. Rarely plays a bad game.
Smith - had a night to forget, played with no sense of urgency and that play on attempt at goal was near unforgivable. Will bounce back without a doubt.
Burgoyne - played well and moving him forward could very well prove to be a masterstroke. It may even extend his career by another 2-3 years, which would be fantastic.

I can't wait to see what difference the additions of Birchall, Gunston, Scully and Wingard make to the dynamic and performance of the team.

Last edited:
We defeated the cats twice last year and finished above them, point? If you think, we would leave TOB on Jack after the third goal or take JOM off for a full quarter, take Sic off for a full quarter, move Scrimshaw after the first quarter, not tag Cotchin and leave our young mids to go one on one when they needed a rest during the regular season I don't know what to say.
You think tigers are going to allow us waltz around for the first half in season proper, then you don’t rate tigers one iota.

Errr, sorry to burst some bubbles but there was hardly any change other than brand replaced by Timid in the third! All our senior mids were there. Burgoyne, O’Meara, Shiels, Big Boy, Smith and Worpel were the ones that got their arses handed to them.
It’s bad enough that you post so hysterically after a JLT loss, but if you really want to create shitty nicknames for Hawthorn players you can * right off.

You think tigers are going to allow us waltz around for the first half in season proper, then you don’t rate tigers one iota.

It's almost like you're an undercover Essendrug or GeeLOL supporter.

I don't understand why you're so upset at everything mate, just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back