Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

Purely aspirational: rather than reasonably practical.
Cannot remember the last time MK was 100% fit.

I can remember Kreuzer playing in an AFL match - not so much Phillips if we are talking fitness over the last two years!!!....however the only real knock I have on Phillips is the fact that he cant run with his opponent- Grundy torched him in ground coverage - he was a huge part of Collingwood's 'extra' man in multiple link ups through between the arcs - Phillips ( literally) allowed Collingwood an extra midfielder for most of the match - no way Kreuzer would allow that to happen - one way or another Grundy would be reduced in effectiveness if he was playing on Kreuzer.

I can remember Kreuzer playing in an AFL match - not so much Phillips if we are talking fitness over the last two years!!!....however the only real knock I have on Phillips is the fact that he cant run with his opponent- Grundy torched him in ground coverage - he was a huge part of Collingwood's 'extra' man in multiple link ups through between the arcs - Phillips ( literally) allowed Collingwood an extra midfielder for most of the match - no way Kreuzer would allow that to happen - one way or another Grundy would be reduced in effectiveness if he was playing on Kreuzer.
"if he was playing" being the key phrase. There is also the impact of first touch to advantage that needs to be factored in; that will become clearer as the season unfolds. It may just be that the shortcomings of both are alleviated by the strengths of the other. However, the days of MK assuming the role of main and single handed ruckman is a thing of the past IMO.

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-03-12/counterparts-gets-cripps-praise

Carlton’s midfielders under the age of 22 yesterday
Sam Petrevski-Seton — 23 disposals, four marks, three clearances
Sam Walsh — 23 disposals, 13 contested possessions, six inside 50s
Zac Fisher — 20 disposals, five inside 50s
Paddy Dow — 14 disposals, 11 contested possessions, four score involvements
David Cuningham — 14 disposals, four tackles, two goals
Will Setterfield — 13 disposals, nine contested possessions, one goal

"if he was playing" being the key phrase. There is also the impact of first touch to advantage that needs to be factored in; that will become clearer as the season unfolds. It may just be that the shortcomings of both are alleviated by the strengths of the other. However, the days of MK assuming the role of main and single handed ruckman is a thing of the past IMO.

So easy to get you on to the back foot because you are spraying too much - mongrel up!

Kreuzer will be #1 ruck each and every time he is fit enough to play - hopefully long enough for the tall blonde kid to get some miles into his legs - he look pretty exciting to me.Phillips is a slow tap ruck who presents down the line for get out kicks thats about his level atm. Kreuzer would smash into grundy and let him know he had played a game - against Phillips Grundy didn't raise a sweat - totally pantzed him.

So easy to get you on to the back foot because you are spraying too much - mongrel up!

Kreuzer will be #1 ruck each and every time he is fit enough to play - hopefully long enough for the tall blonde kid to get some miles into his legs - he look pretty exciting to me.Phillips is a slow tap ruck who presents down the line for get out kicks thats about his level atm. Kreuzer would smash into grundy and let him know he had played a game - against Phillips Grundy didn't raise a sweat - totally pantzed him.
A good old fashioned Yorker, above. ;)
Truth is I'm seriously over remnants of the past, I want to see a completely new era heralded in; now, the sooner the better, yesterday if possible. That includes MK, MM, and Simmo. Love em, but I want to say goodbye.

A good old fashioned Yorker, above. ;)
Truth is I'm seriously over remnants of the past, I want to see a completely new era heralded in; now, the sooner the better, yesterday if possible. That includes MK, MM, and Simmo. Love em, but I want to say goodbye.

Time will sort all that out.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find that strange, given you would prefer to let them have another hitout at any level this time of the year

Not really...no opportunity in season for them to experience being on the bench with the afl side.

They will be with the vfl team mostly this season so the practice match is similar plus theres another vfl practice match next week they'll play in anyway.

Interesting. I saw a top 4 side easily especially adding Roughead Beams Elliott & Moore to last years GF side

Anyone who doesn't have them in top 4 is probably bias against them really and have Carlton tinted glasses on.

Superstar midfield that bats really deep and dangerous forwards like de goey, Stephenson, whe and Elliott. They run teams ragged like Richmond do.

Dow is interesting for me. Stood right next to him on Saturday and still a skinny boy. Even LOB has muscled up more. I think this year might be a bit of struggle for him after a poor pre season.

Will be a star and has all the attributes but I’m not sure he has anywhere near the body yet.

he seems to have plenty of heft in the legs, so i assume you are referring to upper body?

Dow is interesting for me. Stood right next to him on Saturday and still a skinny boy. Even LOB has muscled up more. I think this year might be a bit of struggle for him after a poor pre season.

Will be a star and has all the attributes but I’m not sure he has anywhere near the body yet.

I didn't see a lot of the game but what I did see Dow impressed (except for that shank shot for goal under no pressure early in the first). The extra space around the centre bounce seems to suit him, his hands are clean and he seems prepared to take the game on with a burst from a stoppage.

If he can emulate SPS's second year (handful of 20 plus possession games and averaging somewhere North of 15 touches a game) I will be happy enough.

I thought we did well, Collingwood have one of the better lists in the league, their midfield is really deep, it's stacked with natural skilled mids. They are a mature team with the right sprinkling of maturing young players, should be serious flag contenders this season. Obviously not a serious contest but things to like and dislike.

Thought we defended well as a team for quite a lot and competed adequately. Thought we held them despite them dominating the midfield for a lot. Did not like how we have all these tall forwards yet their defenders intercepted a lot of our kicks. Bad kicking and poor aerial competing at times. We still have ways to go in figuring out our forward structure.

Our backline looked good at hanging on but it doesn't look anything special when we get the ball. We don't have that run and damaging kicking.

Murphy - Statistically good but not super damaging.
Simpson - Thought he turned his effort up but wasn't overly damaging, disposal was nothing special but he's often like that early.
Cripps - He's gearing up for a massive year, winning the ball and kicking goals.
Walsh - Already one of our better players. Pretty good game. He will just keep going and going. Needs very little developing as his natural way of playing is already there.
McKay - Poor game last week, much much better this week. Liked him in the ruck. Made some mistakes but so be it. Keep leading up.
Ed Curnow - Has not been anything special, thought he was a little sloppy, went to ground too much.
SPS - Was very good and is going forward well as a player. Just seems to keep cracking in and going hard. Nice skills.
Cuningham - Pretty good game. Can build on it but pretty good. He's a good user of the ball. Happy with the stats.
Thomas - Make no mistake, he's best 22. He just plays the game like a mature aged player. Goes hard, knows where to be and how to run. Competes well.
C Curnow - Pretty average game, opponent played well and he just didn't lead up at the ball enough. Luckily we know he can play.
Jones - Did some good things but he falls over and goes to ground far too much. Some good things and some real clumsy things. Needs to tidy this up.
Fisher - Seemed to go missing. Lots of kicking under pressure. Not one of his best but he had patches where he was pretty good. Still nothing special.
Weitering - Continued some really good form. Neat and tidy defending.
Setterfield - Was a little untidy at times and real good in others. He's not the mature finished product yet but he will get there.
Plowman - Typical Plowman game, did some good things and was mostly solid. Just made some mistakes which made him look poor.
Dow - I don't mind him when playing the ball, but I will keep saying it. The defensive side of his game is poor. The effort he puts into pressure is poor. His ball handling was hit and miss.
Garlett - He keeps improving and I liked some of what he did. Thought he looked solid and should be persisted with.
Phillips - Competed ok. Playing against the league's best ruck who touched Kreuzer up last year so can't be too harsh, Grundy will beat most of his opponents.
Gibbons - A really quiet game but what he's doing is new and he needs time. Like how he moves, want to see him persisted with.
McGovern - This i guess is what you call poor match fitness and underdone. Jumps at the ball, doesn't get near it. Want to see him leading up at the ball carrier taking marks and don't. Gets beaten and out marked too much. Doesn't look fit. Did some nice things but nothing to get excited about. Fair way to go to get excited about just yet.
Polson - A couple of nice things but used it poorly and wasn't involved much.
Newman - Made some sloppy mistakes and looked shaky under pressure.

I thought we did well, Collingwood have one of the better lists in the league, their midfield is really deep, it's stacked with natural skilled mids. They are a mature team with the right sprinkling of maturing young players, should be serious flag contenders this season. Obviously not a serious contest but things to like and dislike.

Thought we defended well as a team for quite a lot and competed adequately. Thought we held them despite them dominating the midfield for a lot. Did not like how we have all these tall forwards yet their defenders intercepted a lot of our kicks. Bad kicking and poor aerial competing at times. We still have ways to go in figuring out our forward structure.

Our backline looked good at hanging on but it doesn't look anything special when we get the ball. We don't have that run and damaging kicking.

Murphy - Statistically good but not super damaging.
Simpson - Thought he turned his effort up but wasn't overly damaging, disposal was nothing special but he's often like that early.
Cripps - He's gearing up for a massive year, winning the ball and kicking goals.
Walsh - Already one of our better players. Pretty good game. He will just keep going and going. Needs very little developing as his natural way of playing is already there.
McKay - Poor game last week, much much better this week. Liked him in the ruck. Made some mistakes but so be it. Keep leading up.
Ed Curnow - Has not been anything special, thought he was a little sloppy, went to ground too much.
SPS - Was very good and is going forward well as a player. Just seems to keep cracking in and going hard. Nice skills.
Cuningham - Pretty good game. Can build on it but pretty good. He's a good user of the ball. Happy with the stats.
Thomas - Make no mistake, he's best 22. He just plays the game like a mature aged player. Goes hard, knows where to be and how to run. Competes well.
C Curnow - Pretty average game, opponent played well and he just didn't lead up at the ball enough. Luckily we know he can play.
Jones - Did some good things but he falls over and goes to ground far too much. Some good things and some real clumsy things. Needs to tidy this up.
Fisher - Seemed to go missing. Lots of kicking under pressure. Not one of his best but he had patches where he was pretty good. Still nothing special.
Weitering - Continued some really good form. Neat and tidy defending.
Setterfield - Was a little untidy at times and real good in others. He's not the mature finished product yet but he will get there.
Plowman - Typical Plowman game, did some good things and was mostly solid. Just made some mistakes which made him look poor.
Dow - I don't mind him when playing the ball, but I will keep saying it. The defensive side of his game is poor. The effort he puts into pressure is poor. His ball handling was hit and miss.
Garlett - He keeps improving and I liked some of what he did. Thought he looked solid and should be persisted with.
Phillips - Competed ok. Playing against the league's best ruck who touched Kreuzer up last year so can't be too harsh, Grundy will beat most of his opponents.
Gibbons - A really quiet game but what he's doing is new and he needs time. Like how he moves, want to see him persisted with.
McGovern - This i guess is what you call poor match fitness and underdone. Jumps at the ball, doesn't get near it. Want to see him leading up at the ball carrier taking marks and don't. Gets beaten and out marked too much. Doesn't look fit. Did some nice things but nothing to get excited about. Fair way to go to get excited about just yet.
Polson - A couple of nice things but used it poorly and wasn't involved much.
Newman - Made some sloppy mistakes and looked shaky under pressure.
If this is the review we get when you think we did well I would hate to see the one when we played poorly.

Not really...no opportunity in season for them to experience being on the bench with the afl side.

They will be with the vfl team mostly this season so the practice match is similar plus theres another vfl practice match next week they'll play in anyway.

Surely they could have left it for the first VFL bye?

Anyone: What was the point of leaving Stocker on the bench for the entire game?
Why we would deprive Stocker, a young man with fitness knocks, the chance to play a full game on the weekend (in the VFL) is bewildering.

What experience did he garner from his trip to the black lung capital of Australia?

Heard on good authority, from people close to those involved they expected to play in the last quarter.

For a coaching committee that prides itself on communication, it would be horrendous if Stocker did turn up to the game expecting to play 15-20 mins. If he had told family and friends he was likely to play limited minutes. As family and friends, would 100% travel to watch a mate play limited minutes for the first time in a Carlton jumper. If any kid has told his network he is likely to play limited minutes, he will then have countless of his closest support network leaving angry when he doesn't!

This is not good for anyone. Not only is the kids leaving disappointed and potentially embarrassed. Everyone he usually confides in and turns to for support or a pick me up, is understandably angry and disenchanted as well.

I really hope it was a miscommunication between Liam and his network, and the coaching staff didn't change that decision during the day! In today's age, communication and mental awareness are crucial. You would hope our coaching staff haven't left a young kid vulnerable and down on confidence on the eve of round 1 as a result of miscommunication.

It seems trivial (15 minutes in a JLT game), however it is the sort of thing that can snow ball. Especially when the young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

On what was an overall very positive day for the club, this could be one of the minor negatives which I hope it hit on the head immediately.

We made the Top 8 :D

D1cDbWiX4AAsTmd.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back