Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

BigFrizz36

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Heard on good authority, from people close to those involved they expected to play in the last quarter.

For a coaching committee that prides itself on communication, it would be horrendous if Stocker did turn up to the game expecting to play 15-20 mins. If he had told family and friends he was likely to play limited minutes. As family and friends, would 100% travel to watch a mate play limited minutes for the first time in a Carlton jumper. If any kid has told his network he is likely to play limited minutes, he will then have countless of his closest support network leaving angry when he doesn't!

This is not good for anyone. Not only is the kids leaving disappointed and potentially embarrassed. Everyone he usually confides in and turns to for support or a pick me up, is understandably angry and disenchanted as well.

I really hope it was a miscommunication between Liam and his network, and the coaching staff didn't change that decision during the day! In today's age, communication and mental awareness are crucial. You would hope our coaching staff haven't left a young kid vulnerable and down on confidence on the eve of round 1 as a result of miscommunication.

It seems trivial (15 minutes in a JLT game), however it is the sort of thing that can snow ball. Especially when the young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

On what was an overall very positive day for the club, this could be one of the minor negatives which I hope it hit on the head immediately.
Not sure if true. Liam was wearing the t shirt training top at 3/4 time. Was fairly obvious that he was not playing at all. Unless it changed during the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chipzac

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Again, I'm not fussed when you break down how much of that is likely glycogen depletion. It's pretty obvious they've gone down tuning a low-carb approach to help with maximising recovery and aerobic capacity, and the first thing you see go skinny on most men is the butt, face, thighs and upper arm. Visceral fat declines as well, but that's harder to spot unless you're watching the waistline closely.

Even in road cyclists and marathon runners, glycogen stores halve.
For some reason, I'm half expecting you would refer to yourself in the third person.
Still, I always enjoy your posts whether or not I agree ... or even understand them.

AFL Club
Carlton
All I’ll say about Dow is he looks ridiculously skinny. In comparison to LOB Fisher DC Willo & Walsh who I have seen up close recently he looks skinny. The others look lean but still strong.

Just an observation
Have started to worry a little about the number of times the kid gets crunched in heavy tackles. Just doesn't seem to be built to cope with the punishment that comes with the inside work he does (yet). But there is no doubting his courage - he just gets up and goes again.

Blue and Blue

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Heard on good authority, from people close to those involved they expected to play in the last quarter.

For a coaching committee that prides itself on communication, it would be horrendous if Stocker did turn up to the game expecting to play 15-20 mins. If he had told family and friends he was likely to play limited minutes. As family and friends, would 100% travel to watch a mate play limited minutes for the first time in a Carlton jumper. If any kid has told his network he is likely to play limited minutes, he will then have countless of his closest support network leaving angry when he doesn't!

This is not good for anyone. Not only is the kids leaving disappointed and potentially embarrassed. Everyone he usually confides in and turns to for support or a pick me up, is understandably angry and disenchanted as well.

I really hope it was a miscommunication between Liam and his network, and the coaching staff didn't change that decision during the day! In today's age, communication and mental awareness are crucial. You would hope our coaching staff haven't left a young kid vulnerable and down on confidence on the eve of round 1 as a result of miscommunication.

It seems trivial (15 minutes in a JLT game), however it is the sort of thing that can snow ball. Especially when the young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

On what was an overall very positive day for the club, this could be one of the minor negatives which I hope it hit on the head immediately.
I am inclined not to believe any of this. And I think Bolts hinted at it when he said about Stocker he will get a taste of it. Clearly they want guys hungry for a game so they go up a notch. No more gifted stuff even in the practice games is my reading of things. We heard from a few recently that Stocker is a ways off yet. So the likeliest thing is he was given a rest after a hard preseason. Kerr is not quite at the standard either from whats been seen.

Jimmae

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tennessee Titans, Tottenham Hotspur
For some reason, I'm half expecting you would refer to yourself in the third person.
Still, I always enjoy your posts whether or not I agree ... or even understand them.
They're sometimes foreign concepts, but usually not hard to learn. Let me know if things ever slip into a foreign language however, porque eso ha sido ocasionalmente un problema

Blue and Blue

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
A good old fashioned Yorker, above. ;)
Truth is I'm seriously over remnants of the past, I want to see a completely new era heralded in; now, the sooner the better, yesterday if possible. That includes MK, MM, and Simmo. Love em, but I want to say goodbye.
Its happening. I think those guys are the last pieces in the puzzle. Both in fairness to their service and in common sense list rebuild.
I would hope all supporters have a bit of respect for that thing called loyalty and passion for the jumper over and above self interest.,and supporter selfishness is in that mix also. I mean why should players be thrown out just so a keyboard expert can say, see I was right.
It's a club and community before all else and the people in and around must be treated better than in some cut throat business as far as possible. These players have long since earnt the right to retire when they choose with dignity.

Last edited:
AFL Club
Carlton
While I tend to agree re the Pies being a 5-8 side, it’s bloody hard to predict this year. They made a GF and have added Elliot, Beans, Roughead and Moore to the side. Only a couple of teams I’m really confident of finishing ahead of them.
Sorry but Darcy Moore is a spud and we made him look good with our slack disposal going inside 50

__Bobcat__

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Honestly surprised we are $5.70 to win, Collingwood are full strength or near it.

Going to be interested to see how they go against our big forwards. With the 6/6/6 rule I think Collingwood may get found out for KPP at both ends.
666 the number of the Beast. a lot of teams whom play that Manic run n gun style of footy will get caught out this year.

murphster

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Another one of the moron brigade

Unbearable to listen to
They need to get rid of 90% of ex footballers and get back to professional commentators with maybe 1 special comments man that only speaks between the play.

Opine

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Carlton
Its happening. I think those guys are the last pieces in the puzzle. Both in fairness to their service and in common sense list rebuild.
I would hope all supporters have a bit of respect for that thing called loyalty and passion for the jumper over and above self interest.,and supporter selfishness is in that mix also. I mean why should players be thrown out just so a keyboard expert can say, see I was right.
It's a club and community before all else and the people in and around must be treated better than in some cut throat business as far as possible. These players have long since earnt the right to retire when they choose with dignity.
I'm far from being a footy expert. I was merely expressing how I personally feel and what I personally want to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue and Blue

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
They need to get rid of 90% of ex footballers and get back to professional commentators with maybe 1 special comments man that only speaks between the play.
They need to stop barracking like louts and say a lot less ...on radio describe the play only...on tv no need as we can see....and this done to death after goal replays rubbish...replays were good 20 years ago...these days there is no need cos its all on the net

cfc05

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Not sure if true. Liam was wearing the t shirt training top at 3/4 time. Was fairly obvious that he was not playing at all. Unless it changed during the game.
They usually do wear this, then change when it is go time.

See earlier games.
I am inclined not to believe any of this. And I think Bolts hinted at it when he said about Stocker he will get a taste of it. Clearly they want guys hungry for a game so they go up a notch. No more gifted stuff even in the practice games is my reading of things. We heard from a few recently that Stocker is a ways off yet. So the likeliest thing is he was given a rest after a hard preseason. Kerr is not quite at the standard either from whats been seen.
I am inclined not to believe many things I wish didn’t happened.
Unfortunately, simply having a favourable disposition towards a certain bias doesn’t outway facts.

Not commenting on your inclination players deserved a game, irrelevant to my point!

I am stating stocker, therefore I suspect both boys were told they would play. Families and friends were told they were to play (albeit limited minutes).

To change this on the day, or during the game is pathetic from a group that preaches communication and honesty.

To embarrass a young man in front of his closet support network will almost certainly knock his confidence a little. If simply ignored, can easily snowball in to far worse. As unfortunately, now the whole support network feel equally mislead and do not trust the message.
Hopefully no close friends (players) are jaded.

Trust isn’t just something you can preach in press conferences and demand of players, it has to be earnt and is a two way street.

windows1

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
Decent result with a few issues I am confident will come good... Charlie Curnow just looks down on confidence, not sure what is behind it because from all reports had a really strong pre season, just wonder if he is carrying a niggle and hiding it.

Harry McKay, just needs to start clunking the marks.. once he does look out.
He clunked 4 contested. What more do you want??

Macca43

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
He clunked 4 contested. What more do you want??
Yeah Charlie gathers 14 possessions, 7 marks (2 contested) and 1 goal 2 in a shortened match and everyone thinks it is a disaster, Harry takes 4 contested marks and we have to wait for him to start clunking them.

These two are going to have good years but let's not expect them to dominate every game like Carey.

Last edited:

murphster

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rewatched the game.

Don't like Charlie being stationary inside 50. Clubs will target him. He needs to be on the move and use his engine. McGovern is similar. It would be tempting to use Casboult & McKay as big targets if we are going to go long all the time and have Charlie as a mobile option.

As good as Charlie will be I don't see him as a true KPP that can stand as a target. IMO our structure needs work and looking at
That’s right Soap Charlie and McG are leading forwards and need to be used as such, I think JSOS suffered from this as well and even Harry with his speed is good on the move, I think it is about getting the ball in deep to try and lock it in as Bolts pointed out at the break. However we need to start leading as a forward group as it will be a lot more effective as we saw when Cripps went forward he made space and led into it and the boys hit him up, need to use both styles with a better balance between the 2 giving both talls and smalls a fair crack at it.

murphster

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Adams who was out I guess and DeGoey and Stephenson in bursts. Phillips and Treloar are elite runners who are quick but maybe not elite in explosiveness.
For someone who never rated them last year I actually thought they were pretty impressive. All of Sier, Stephenson, WHE, Adams and De Goey would fix pretty much all of what they were lacking on the Monday.
My early tip would be a Richmond Collingwood grand final.
Heaven forbid

Last edited:
Top Bottom