Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I can remember Kreuzer playing in an AFL match - not so much Phillips if we are talking fitness over the last two years!!!....however the only real knock I have on Phillips is the fact that he cant run with his opponent- Grundy torched him in ground coverage - he was a huge part of Collingwood's 'extra' man in multiple link ups through between the arcs - Phillips ( literally) allowed Collingwood an extra midfielder for most of the match - no way Kreuzer would allow that to happen - one way or another Grundy would be reduced in effectiveness if he was playing on Kreuzer.

You need to watch more Collingwood games - Grundy’s running torches everyone he plays against.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Is it just me, or is the Amos led defence standing up like they did in his first 2 years? They dont look the slickest defence out there but they somehow do themselves proud and stop big scores. Back then we had no forward line and no midfield. If the defence can keep it together -especially with the return of Marchbank and Williamson, then we have something to build on
Nail on the head with this one Rubnub. Our whole team defence looked like 2017 imo which is the best news I’ve heard so far this year, add Marchbank and Willo early in the year and look out.

If we can play team defence like 17’ with the players we now have at our disposal we are seriously going to beat a lot of teams and win those close ones we lost in 2017. This was the best sign yet pointing to a big up swing in performance for this year. If we manage to put 18 behind us and just carry on like it is the end of 17 the sky is the limit imo. Was hoping Amos would have this effect and he hasn’t disappointed as yet, wasn’t sure if the terrible performance last year had more to do with him moving or Docherty going out, I hoped to hell it was the former and we will dominate if it is.

As to the massive discrepancy in disposals I think this had a lot to do with the way we defended the ground, we really pushed across hard when they tried to switch and stymied there main mode of attack, forcing them to keep going sideways, backwards or long down the line to the out number, hence there high disposal and mark numbers. The fact we beat them at contested possessions and clearances with such a young midfield was fantastic for us and our future, SPS could turn into one of the great indigenous players we all admire so much like Burgoyne and even one Peter Matera, just has the work ethic and natural ability to be a champion of our game, what a difference a full pre season huh.

We also ended up ahead in inside 50s another major step for us as I don’t think we won this stat once last year and we have won it against Bumbers and the Filth, great signs for a big year ahead for the resurgent and inspirational Old Dark Navy Blues.

P.S. see the respect I showed the enemy by capitalising there names.🤙🏽😂👍🏽

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Jimmae. Who said I was referring to you, although in regards to Phillips I think your continual criticism of him is over the top.

Not sure what blind optimism has to do with it? No one is saying Phillips is a star but last week he was good and today average. Kruezer is easily the better ruck when fit but give the guy a break. I’d also like to assess him more when he can get a good run of games under him. Played less than 40 games. Not much for a ruck. Still a lot to learn
He's 27, and you used the exact same language to describe my critique of him as you did when you were speaking generally. I've already said my piece, and I'll leave it at that. :thumbsu:

Here he is again but you totally missed my point

Pretty subtle reference, but fair play. :thumbsu:

Phillips wasn't just getting miles in the legs FYI, he was getting dominated by a vastly superior player, much like what would happy against Gawn, and MK. He's not a modern ruck.

Dow is interesting for me. Stood right next to him on Saturday and still a skinny boy. Even LOB has muscled up more. I think this year might be a bit of struggle for him after a poor pre season.

Will be a star and has all the attributes but I’m not sure he has anywhere near the body yet.
Dow is incredibly lean, so don't take much stock in his arms looking skinny. As you've seen across the list, the diet change typically results in that.

Also, it's really easy to confuse fattening the arms and packing the glycogen stores there within versus the real gain in muscle an individual might have. I think you'd be pretty surprised to compare Dow and Lachie's DEXA scan results side-by-side over the last 18 months.

Away from that, both are not being used properly on the outside. Dow turned every possession he had into a disposal despite only having 3 uncontested possessions. Part of that is Collingwood's mobility and pressure skewing the contested stats because they're getting a hand in, but another part of that is Dow routinely getting ignored as an outside option.

FWIW - Kreuz and Phillips marking stats last year were almost identical.

Approx 2 marks per game (0.4 contested).

Anyone who thinks Kreuz’s marking is a big upgrade on Phillips is dreaming.
What those stats do not show is how effective MK is when you let him run at the ball carrier, something that he doesn't do very well in our current structure unless he's dropped in the square.

Sadly, the same could be said for virtually every attacking tall in our team, which points the blame squarely at how the tactics are deployed.

The scenario your describing lends itself more to being one in which Phillips, or Lobbe, assume the role of main ruckman; whereby it is MK that might still be a very handy backup or relief ruck. Not the other way around.
You've completely misread what was written, but I suppose that's you living up to your moniker.

There's a reason Phillips gets games ahead of lobbe..
Beyond what chronic injuries each are carrying (and they certainly are), I'd love to know what you think that is. For mine, it's a total failure to understand the important aspects of the modern ruck role.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
For all those knocking Phillips who I thought competed well against one of the premier ruckmen ask yourself about Murphy’s performance (some of which have Murph in their name or profile pic)

Handballs to stationary targets half a metre away, woeful use of the football shadow of him former self
My profile name is because it is my name not because of Marc Murphy, not that I have criticised either as yet.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
He's 27, and you used the exact same language to describe my critique of him as you did when you were speaking generally. I've already said my piece, and I'll leave it at that. :thumbsu:

Phillips wasn't just getting miles in the legs FYI, he was getting dominated by a vastly superior player, much like what would happy against Gawn, and MK. He's not a modern ruck.

Dow is incredibly lean, so don't take much stock in his arms looking skinny. As you've seen across the list, the diet change typically results in that.

Also, it's really easy to confuse fattening the arms and packing the glycogen stores there within versus the real gain in muscle an individual might have. I think you'd be pretty surprised to compare Dow and Lachie's DEXA scan results side-by-side over the last 18 months.

Away from that, both are not being used properly on the outside. Dow turned every possession he had into a disposal despite only having 3 uncontested possessions. Part of that is Collingwood's mobility and pressure skewing the contested stats because they're getting a hand in, but another part of that is Dow routinely getting ignored as an outside option.

What those stats do not show is how effective MK is when you let him run at the ball carrier, something that he doesn't do very well in our current structure unless he's dropped in the square.

Sadly, the same could be said for virtually every attacking tall in our team, which points the blame squarely at how the tactics are deployed.

You've completely misread what was written, but I suppose that's you living up to your moniker.

Beyond what chronic injuries each are carrying (and they certainly are), I'd love to know what you think that is. For mine, it's a total failure to understand the important aspects of the modern ruck role.

All I’ll say about Dow is he looks ridiculously skinny. In comparison to LOB Fisher DC Willo & Walsh who I have seen up close recently he looks skinny. The others look lean but still strong.

Just an observation

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
All I’ll say about Dow is he looks ridiculously skinny. In comparison to LOB Fisher DC Willo & Walsh who I have seen up close recently he looks skinny. The others look lean but still strong.

Just an observation
Ultimately I am concerned with his maximal (and functional) upper body strength long term, but he'd be 185 and 83 right now. He's in a good space.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton

Gee whiz mate....A for effort but Z for ease of reading....:p

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Ultimately I am concerned with his maximal (and functional) upper body strength long term, but he'd be 185 and 83 right now. He's in a good space.

I think he struggles to maintain the gains he makes over summer. Nobody retains all the gains they've made, but he seems to have lost a greater proportion compared to others, from a distance.

Was the first thing I noticed in that pre-game interview.

It's going to take a few more pre-seasons to fully get there.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I think he struggles to maintain the gains he makes over summer. Nobody retains all the gains they've made, but he seems to have lost a greater proportion compared to others, from a distance.

Was the first thing I noticed in that pre-game interview.

It's going to take a few more pre-seasons to fully get there.
Again, I'm not fussed when you break down how much of that is likely glycogen depletion. It's pretty obvious they've gone down tuning a low-carb approach to help with maximising recovery and aerobic capacity, and the first thing you see go skinny on most men is the butt, face, thighs and upper arm. Visceral fat declines as well, but that's harder to spot unless you're watching the waistline closely.

Even in road cyclists and marathon runners, glycogen stores halve.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Again, I'm not fussed when you break down how much of that is likely glycogen depletion. It's pretty obvious they've gone down tuning a low-carb approach to help with maximising recovery and aerobic capacity, and the first thing you see go skinny on most men is the butt, face, thighs and upper arm.

Me sitting on 1500-1800kcals for the last couple of weeks agrees with you.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Heard on good authority, from people close to those involved they expected to play in the last quarter.

For a coaching committee that prides itself on communication, it would be horrendous if Stocker did turn up to the game expecting to play 15-20 mins. If he had told family and friends he was likely to play limited minutes. As family and friends, would 100% travel to watch a mate play limited minutes for the first time in a Carlton jumper. If any kid has told his network he is likely to play limited minutes, he will then have countless of his closest support network leaving angry when he doesn't!

This is not good for anyone. Not only is the kids leaving disappointed and potentially embarrassed. Everyone he usually confides in and turns to for support or a pick me up, is understandably angry and disenchanted as well.

I really hope it was a miscommunication between Liam and his network, and the coaching staff didn't change that decision during the day! In today's age, communication and mental awareness are crucial. You would hope our coaching staff haven't left a young kid vulnerable and down on confidence on the eve of round 1 as a result of miscommunication.

It seems trivial (15 minutes in a JLT game), however it is the sort of thing that can snow ball. Especially when the young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

On what was an overall very positive day for the club, this could be one of the minor negatives which I hope it hit on the head immediately.
Not sure if true. Liam was wearing the t shirt training top at 3/4 time. Was fairly obvious that he was not playing at all. Unless it changed during the game.

chipzac

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Again, I'm not fussed when you break down how much of that is likely glycogen depletion. It's pretty obvious they've gone down tuning a low-carb approach to help with maximising recovery and aerobic capacity, and the first thing you see go skinny on most men is the butt, face, thighs and upper arm. Visceral fat declines as well, but that's harder to spot unless you're watching the waistline closely.

For some reason, I'm half expecting you would refer to yourself in the third person.
Still, I always enjoy your posts whether or not I agree ... or even understand them.

Press Box Wing

Debutant
May 19, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Just an observation

Have started to worry a little about the number of times the kid gets crunched in heavy tackles. Just doesn't seem to be built to cope with the punishment that comes with the inside work he does (yet). But there is no doubting his courage - he just gets up and goes again.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Heard on good authority, from people close to those involved they expected to play in the last quarter.

For a coaching committee that prides itself on communication, it would be horrendous if Stocker did turn up to the game expecting to play 15-20 mins. If he had told family and friends he was likely to play limited minutes. As family and friends, would 100% travel to watch a mate play limited minutes for the first time in a Carlton jumper. If any kid has told his network he is likely to play limited minutes, he will then have countless of his closest support network leaving angry when he doesn't!

This is not good for anyone. Not only is the kids leaving disappointed and potentially embarrassed. Everyone he usually confides in and turns to for support or a pick me up, is understandably angry and disenchanted as well.

I really hope it was a miscommunication between Liam and his network, and the coaching staff didn't change that decision during the day! In today's age, communication and mental awareness are crucial. You would hope our coaching staff haven't left a young kid vulnerable and down on confidence on the eve of round 1 as a result of miscommunication.

It seems trivial (15 minutes in a JLT game), however it is the sort of thing that can snow ball. Especially when the young mans support network are equally disillusioned and frustrated with the leadership at the club.

On what was an overall very positive day for the club, this could be one of the minor negatives which I hope it hit on the head immediately.
I am inclined not to believe any of this. And I think Bolts hinted at it when he said about Stocker he will get a taste of it. Clearly they want guys hungry for a game so they go up a notch. No more gifted stuff even in the practice games is my reading of things. We heard from a few recently that Stocker is a ways off yet. So the likeliest thing is he was given a rest after a hard preseason. Kerr is not quite at the standard either from whats been seen.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
For some reason, I'm half expecting you would refer to yourself in the third person.
Still, I always enjoy your posts whether or not I agree ... or even understand them.
They're sometimes foreign concepts, but usually not hard to learn. Let me know if things ever slip into a foreign language however, porque eso ha sido ocasionalmente un problema

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
A good old fashioned Yorker, above. ;)
Truth is I'm seriously over remnants of the past, I want to see a completely new era heralded in; now, the sooner the better, yesterday if possible. That includes MK, MM, and Simmo. Love em, but I want to say goodbye.
Its happening. I think those guys are the last pieces in the puzzle. Both in fairness to their service and in common sense list rebuild.
I would hope all supporters have a bit of respect for that thing called loyalty and passion for the jumper over and above self interest.,and supporter selfishness is in that mix also. I mean why should players be thrown out just so a keyboard expert can say, see I was right.
It's a club and community before all else and the people in and around must be treated better than in some cut throat business as far as possible. These players have long since earnt the right to retire when they choose with dignity.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
While I tend to agree re the Pies being a 5-8 side, it’s bloody hard to predict this year. They made a GF and have added Elliot, Beans, Roughead and Moore to the side. Only a couple of teams I’m really confident of finishing ahead of them.

Sorry but Darcy Moore is a spud and we made him look good with our slack disposal going inside 50

Sep 28, 2013
Macedon Ranges
AFL Club
Carlton
Honestly surprised we are $5.70 to win, Collingwood are full strength or near it.

Going to be interested to see how they go against our big forwards. With the 6/6/6 rule I think Collingwood may get found out for KPP at both ends.

666 the number of the Beast. a lot of teams whom play that Manic run n gun style of footy will get caught out this year.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Its happening. I think those guys are the last pieces in the puzzle. Both in fairness to their service and in common sense list rebuild.
I would hope all supporters have a bit of respect for that thing called loyalty and passion for the jumper over and above self interest.,and supporter selfishness is in that mix also. I mean why should players be thrown out just so a keyboard expert can say, see I was right.
It's a club and community before all else and the people in and around must be treated better than in some cut throat business as far as possible. These players have long since earnt the right to retire when they choose with dignity.
I'm far from being a footy expert. I was merely expressing how I personally feel and what I personally want to happen.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
They need to get rid of 90% of ex footballers and get back to professional commentators with maybe 1 special comments man that only speaks between the play.
They need to stop barracking like louts and say a lot less ...on radio describe the play only...on tv no need as we can see....and this done to death after goal replays rubbish...replays were good 20 years ago...these days there is no need cos its all on the net

Back