Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

More likely that he's 4 kilos lighter than last year without losing any of his strength, and more focused in his training set.
He also knows he can bulldoze anyone in his way. Literally no-one can stop him one-on-one, unless he's gang tackled. I'd be petrified if I saw him running at me.

He also knows he can bulldoze anyone in his way. Literally no-one can stop him one-on-one, unless he's gang tackled. I'd be petrified if I saw him running at me.
I watched Stringer nullify him in JLT1, but he can't run with him all day. He's not invincible.

A defensively positioned ruck and a tagger over 190 and 88 could systematically crunch him if he got out of control.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but did anyone notice Cripps coming out of the contest with a little more zip than normal? Example in last few moments of the last quarter coming from a Centre square stoppage and hitting Curnow lace out. Legs and arms were pumping and looked that bit quicker.

He isn't 'slow' that is a myth perpetuated on here, but in 2019 he is a lot fitter and has time to get over any niggles he had in 2018 - he'll get them back again soon enough carrying passengers who aren't really up to on ball duties because of lack of size and inexperience.

I think its more a case of the centre square being empty. Makes them all look quick because they get a chance to run instead of being ridden to the ground.
We can say that the 6-6-6 is really putting the game back a little bit to how it should be, and is an indictment on two decades of coaches that created such a mess.

I think its more a case of the centre square being empty. Makes them all look quick because they get a chance to run instead of being ridden to the ground.
We can say that the 6-6-6 is really putting the game back a little bit to how it should be, and is an indictment on two decades of coaches that created such a mess.

Nahh I've seen him run live a fair bit - he isn't slow for his size - but he isn't a particularly 'pretty' runner thats for sure - eg Fyfe is much more a natural runner - but Cripps manages to 'get there' and he is one of the better one on one players in AFL.

Teams that have stacked their sides with fast two way runners as part of a smothering system - are either going to restructure OR ask their players to run even harder for longer - especially on larger grounds. I doubt coaches are going to just lay down and roll over if their sides cant match the other in clearances - they will ask for faster players to run into square ...wont work but they will try eg Sydney's home ground is tiny arc pretty much overlaps centre square.

There is a limit to how much players can be pushed and I think Carlton's investment in a lot of talls is going to pay dividends as they come on to being AFL players - especially if our playmakers like SPS/Fisher/Walsh can learn to lower their eyes and hit targets.

Nahh I've seen him run live a fair bit - he isn't slow for his size - but he isn't a particularly 'pretty' runner thats for sure - eg Fyfe is much more a natural runner - but Cripps manages to 'get there' and he is one of the better one on one players in AFL.

Teams that have stacked their sides with fast two way runners as part of a smothering system - are either going to restructure OR ask their players to run even harder for longer - especially on larger grounds. I doubt coaches are going to just lay down and roll over if their sides cant match the other in clearances - they will ask for faster players to run into square ...wont work but they will try eg Sydney's home ground is tiny arc pretty much overlaps centre square.

There is a limit to how much players can be pushed and I think Carlton's investment in a lot of talls is going to pay dividends as they come on to being AFL players - especially if our playmakers like SPS/Fisher/Walsh can learn to lower their eyes and hit targets.
Oh I wasnt saying Cripps isnt quick..on the contrary. But I think the empty square gives the impression he ..(and others)...is quicker suddenly when its something that has been a steady year to year improvement.

More likely that he's 4 kilos lighter than last year without losing any of his strength, and more focused in his training set.
Looks like he has put on some size compared to last season. I also understand that stripping down gives off the illusion of looking bigger.

But I don't think that is the case with Jacob.

Has he stated that he has lost 4 kilos?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Looks like he has put on some size compared to last season. I also understand that stripping down gives off the illusion of looking bigger.

But I don't think that is the case with Jacob.

Has he stated that he has lost 4 kilos?

That comes down to visceral fat levels and how stocked glycogen stores were prior to this diet change. Cripps has absolutely lost weight, though the four is my estimate.

It'd be 2.5 kgs minimum, but on top of that he's also visibly leaner in terms of superficial fat stores.

That comes down to visceral fat levels and how stocked glycogen stores were prior to this diet change. Cripps has absolutely lost weight, though the four is my estimate.

It'd be 2.5 kgs minimum, but on top of that he's also visibly leaner in terms of superficial fat stores.
How are my visceral fat levels looking?
2D75C196-79B9-485A-8894-64B68D79E834.jpeg

That's all you have for me after 15 hrs of googling? A bit disappointed.

I'd hedge my bets he's put on 2-3 kg's of muscle and stripped back some fat. *fat is 16x lighter than muscle (per square inch? Stretching my memory back to 1995 and what I was told by a PT when I 1st joined a gym).

That's all you have for me after 15 hrs of googling? A bit disappointed.

I'd hedge my bets he's put on 2-3 kg's of muscle and stripped back some fat. *fat is 16x lighter than muscle (per square inch? Stretching my memory back to 1995 and what I was told by a PT when I 1st joined a gym).

I'm not sure how you expect me to respond to any of that politely.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure how you expect me to respond to any of that politely.

Lol. No need to get upset Jimmae, would've thought you'd have more emotional intelligence than that.

Played sport for a long time and trained even longer so I do know a little ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. No need to get upset Jimmae, would've thought you'd have more emotional intelligence than that.

Played sport for a long time and trained even longer so I do know a little ;)

Muscle is not 16 times heavier than fat... you're out by at least an order of magnitude.

Your right, it's about 18% denser, which may have been what I was trying to remember.

Another example is 5 pounds of fat will be 3 times larger than 5 pounds of muscle.

Either way he is clearly looking bigger and stronger (Pies mate made the same observation when we watched the replay), and played accordingly in the JLT.

I highly doubt that extra size will be fat, or that he has lost about 4 kgs, more like he has put on a couple kgs of lean muscle.

Peace out :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back