Review JLT2: Freo vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the hell are they even there? Surely nobody at the club considers them best 22?

Should be at Peel and stay there except in case of a huge injury list

Mind boggling isn't it. I suspect that someone at the club still thinks they're best 22 ish. Even after all of the evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:

Sunday is a full dress rehearsal for Round 1. Presumably the team to play PA is going to be selected with a view to winning. Unless the Hills come good I don’t see that there are any possible substitutes for Sutcliffe and Pearce in this weeks named 18 who would improve our chances of winning against Port.

Sunday is a full dress rehearsal for Round 1. Presumably the team to play PA is going to be selected with a view to winning. Unless the Hills come good I don’t see that there are any possible substitutes for Sutcliffe and Pearce in this weeks named 18 who would improve our chances of winning against Port.

Yeah there is and it’s not DP or Sutcliffe. They simply don’t belong in the AFL anymore.

Tucker and Langdon would be much better suitors. I’d personally throw in Crowden or Giro before those other duds also.

D.Pearce would be the last player selected if I had a choice.

If there are no Hills I’d be happy to see Bennell and Langdon on the wing

There’s a good chance S.Hill and Bennell line up for Peel and will likely perform very well giving the MC a good reason to play them

Ignore how Freo says how the players will line up, it is never accurate and especially not for JLT.

Was kind of hoping to see Duman on the list as well as a tall link up wingman to help transition the ball could help imo. Oh well maybe later in the season.

Crossing fingers Crowden plays and gets to play on a wing to show his exceptional kicking inside 50. That could save us from DP in round 1 if the Hills don't play - including the sans vaseline variety. I'd even like to see Darcy, Cerra, Brayshaw and Crowden all in the middle just to see how they'd go against West Coast's midfield.
Interesting ? On a wing , he looks built like an inside player , Wingers tend to be more outside , I have not seen much of him so if others who have watched training, think he could play on a wing who am i to blow against the wind ?

Interesting ? On a wing , he looks built like an inside player , Wingers tend to be more outside , I have not seen much of him so if others who have watched training, think he could play on a wing who am i to blow against the wind ?
Giro played on a wing in the scratchie. Crowden probably is best suited to playing inside but he's not going to get much opportunity yet with our A team, Walters, Blakely, Brayshaw and Cerra all rotating in there. Mitch isn't in and under like Neale/Blakely. He is more outside on the inside like Walters/SHill. Very good at effective clearances. He is fast, a really good kick inside 50, can kick goals from inside or outside 50 on the run, and has a good leap. Almost everything you want in a balanced mid. But his endurance will be the question mark and will be what might delay him securing a debut.

Giro played on a wing in the scratchie. Crowden probably is best suited to playing inside but he's not going to get much opportunity yet with our A team, Walters, Blakely, Brayshaw and Cerra all rotating in there. Mitch isn't in and under like Neale/Blakely. He is more outside on the inside like Walters/SHill. Very good at effective clearances. He is fast, a really good kick inside 50, can kick goals from inside or outside 50 on the run, and has a good leap. Almost everything you want in a balanced mid. But his endurance will be the question mark and will be what might delay him securing a debut.
Bench ,Half forward , With mid rotations ,You have seen more of him could that work?

Bench ,Half forward , With mid rotations ,You have seen more of him could that work?
I'm assuming that is what we will do with a lot of our mids, so yes. Blakely the same but half back instead. Brayshaw, Cerra and Crowden will hopefully improve our delivery inside 50. Add Walters, SHill, Mundy and Tucker and that's a lot of decent kicks in the mix. No excuses if we can't improve our delivery with the personnel we now have.

I'm assuming that is what we will do with a lot of our mids, so yes. Blakely the same but half back instead. Brayshaw, Cerra and Crowden will hopefully improve our delivery inside 50. Add Walters, SHill, Mundy and Tucker and that's a lot of decent kicks in the mix. No excuses if we can't improve our delivery with the personnel we now have.
After watching us continuously bomb it into our 50 with basically no forward structure whatsoever, I'm not gonna hold my breath. In fact, I'll say we'll be incredibly s**t delivering it inside 50 yet again this year, it's something Ross just can't figure out and it drives me crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching us continuously bomb it into our 50 with basically no forward structure whatsoever, I'm not gonna hold my breath. In fact, I'll say we'll be incredibly s**t delivering it inside 50 yet again this year, it's something Ross just can't figure out and it drives me crazy.
I hope you’re wrong and our delivery into the F50 will be far more structured but I wouldn’t put money on it so soon.

Tucker and Langdon are already named in Sunday’s starting lineup f1997. The only way Crowden or Giro get a game this year wpould be on the back of us finishing 16-18. Possible but unlikely.

Yeah I think Crowden will get games too. They will want to test him at the higher level, and it sounds like he will produce at wafl level to keep his name in contention. Once some of the heat has gone out of the start of our season I expect him to be considered.

The wing is exactly where Sutty could save his career. He has the running power and he used to show the kicking ability, 25 touches on the wing with clean disposal forward, perhaps sneaking deeper for a goal too and it opens it right up.

The problem with that scenario is his kicking. Clean disposal isn't a feature you associate with Sutcliffe. He's more your loopy up and under type that allows a defender all the time in the world to intercept or spoil. Its one of the reasons he features in so many turnovers. The only improvement to doing that on the wing is its two kicks back to goal instead of one.

Tucker and Langdon are already named in Sunday’s starting lineup f1997. The only way Crowden or Giro get a game this year wpould be on the back of us finishing 16-18. Possible but unlikely.

Rubbish. 5-6 debuts is a pretty normal amount for a club over a season regardless of ladder position. They’ll most likely be given a game or two throughout the year even if they aren’t as regular as Brayshaw, Cerra or Banfield who all look best 25 or so going into the season.

Someone at the club has a great sense of humour.

Naming thirty players has to be a wind up.

A bit tall in the forward line too, don't you think?
JLT games have 26 players. This combined with the change to naming 4 emergencies instead of three means that a JLT Sunday squad requires the naming of 30 players.

Four will be cut today I assume.

Rubbish. 5-6 debuts is a pretty normal amount for a club over a season regardless of ladder position. They’ll most likely be given a game or two throughout the year even if they aren’t as regular as Brayshaw, Cerra or Banfield who all look best 25 or so going into the season.
Having 3 draftees even considered for best 22 is remarkable I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back