Review JLT2: Freo vs Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder why when its so effective?
If it doesn't work out your players are usually totally out of position to defend the stoppage. You've put the ball to space and in footy, space makes more space. A fumble from your burst clearance mid leads to a turnover, to a halfback on the burst into a deep inside fifty really fast.

Against us oppositions play tight man on man, Sandi will pick the player with the most separation or drop it at his feet to allow the one on one players we have to beat their opponent. If an opponent tries to defend us with a sort of zone coverage I'd expect a burst midfielder to get found with the wider taps, but aside from Stephen Hill we really don't have a player like that.

Shane Kersten would actually make a good one. Very fast, big body, very clean below his knees, long kick.

Ultimately, we have four very good stoppage/clearance players in Fyfe, Sandi, Mundy and Neale. Odds are that if you give them a fair 50/50 they will win the clearance most of the time, I couldn't guarantee the 50%+ win rate with a wide tap and even if we did, we didn't have a forward line that could take a contested mark.

Probably should have used a different term than tag in retrospect, as it gives a far stronger impression than I was trying to describe. By no means was Fremantle trying to do a Crowley to the West Coast midfield. Maybe “run-with” or “shadow” would have been more appropriate. I expect it was likely just a case of younger players being instructed to “learn” from an experienced opponent through seeing how they play up close and personal. It is with irony then that the said younger players blew their marks off the ground.
Really great analysis - particularly of one of our kick-ins (and the one of yours as well) - the diagrams are awesome. If you watch the first 5-10 minutes of the game you can see Shuey and Gaff were definitely not tagged at all. Gaff was actually running all by himself in that time and Shuey was on Mundy but perhaps it was some sort of very clever reverse tag where Mundy pretends he is one being tagged but really he is tagging Shuey :) I haven't checked but I strongly doubt we would have started a tag mid game given we were comfortably controlling the game already.

I think you guys have gone down a similar path to what we did a couple of years ago where you've tried to focus on speed and x-factor at the expense of contested football. Something that we've only really started to get back on top of this season (and we may still have a way to go). But it's now a priority for us as you can see by who we drafted.

Your midfield was already your weakness so maybe the impact won't be as severe but I think we've shown how difficult it is to be competitive if you can't win the ball in the first place. You're on the back foot from the start and tire chasing all day, which results in less pressure and your defence then gets hammered. I'd be tempering expectations for this season if I was a West Coast fan. Speaking from our experience it is so much better when you just accept you need to rebuild and can then enjoy the development journey without worrying too much about wins and losses. Although it may be a very long and painful journey with East Perth being so ordinary and Simpson's complete refusal to play youth the last couple of seasons. Finishing bottom 4 would be blessing in disguise for you guys imo, just like it was for us in 2016.

Really great analysis - particularly of one of our kick-ins (and the one of yours as well) - the diagrams are awesome. If you watch the first 5-10 minutes of the game you can see Shuey and Gaff were definitely not tagged at all. Gaff was actually running all by himself in that time and Shuey was on Mundy but perhaps it was some sort of very clever reverse tag where Mundy pretends he is one being tagged but really he is tagging Shuey :) I haven't checked but I strongly doubt we would have started a tag mid game given we were comfortably controlling the game already.

I think you guys have gone down a similar path to what we did a couple of years ago where you've tried to focus on speed and x-factor at the expense of contested football. Something that we've only really started to get back on top of this season (and we may still have a way to go). But it's now a priority for us as you can see by who we drafted.

Your midfield was already your weakness so maybe the impact won't be as severe but I think we've shown how difficult it is to be competitive if you can't win the ball in the first place. You're on the back foot from the start and tire chasing all day, which results in less pressure and your defence then gets hammered. I'd be tempering expectations for this season if I was a West Coast fan. Speaking from our experience it is so much better when you just accept you need to rebuild and can then enjoy the development journey without worrying too much about wins and losses. Although it may be a very long and painful journey with East Perth being so ordinary and Simpson's complete refusal to play youth the last couple of seasons. Finishing bottom 4 would be blessing in for GOLD COAST imo, just like it was for us in 2016.
EFA :eek:

Bailey Banfield highlights as promised.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Impressive collection of highlights because he's so multi dimensional. Has a presence in the forward line, can run up the ground and hit targets, is super fast, chases and tackles hard, finds the footy and is poised when disposing, picks off opposition kicks with his nous and speed, crumbs really well. His 3 goals in the other practice game against WC were pretty impressive as well.

Onya twst, thanks for putting in the effort on these vids, it is a different thing to see all the involvements of a player rather than a highlights package. Fyfe would be an interesting one to rewatch warts and all, we remember his brilliance - but he also got caught out a few times and we conveniently forget it.

Nic Nat lets his mids cheat. They can stand off their man and run forwards knowing he will win the tap. It cuts out that one to two metre handball to Shuey.

Sandi very rarely does it, very defensively minded.
I wouldn't be betting on NN being the same player he was after all the setbacks. It has taken Fyfe a year to even look like
his former self.
If NN loses his mobility how will he counter the body contact ruckman?
Then you have the backup ruckman Lycett, Vardy injury prone. We really did a number on them taking the EP guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be betting on NN being the same player he was after all the setbacks. It has taken Fyfe a year to even look like
his former self.
Then you have the backup ruckman Lycett, Vardy injury prone. We really did a number on them taking the EP guy.

I'm not sure he will have much impact for the remainder of his career. Some players never recover from a serious setback like that.

I'm not sure he will have much impact for the remainder of his career. Some players never recover from a serious setback like that.
As much as I hate the yuppy scum, drug cheating, clueless, booing, bandwagon, chardonnay drinking, canary scum, I hope NN gets back to close to his best & maintains his “stellar” form against us

his former self.

I thought the same but apparently, and not just from WC supporters, he moved extremely well in his hit out with EP last week.

I thought the same but apparently, and not just from WC supporters, he moved extremely well in his hit out with EP last week.
If it was against Peel I would of been impressed, Sharks have been the easybeats for far too long now.
It's like Masten dominating WAFL, doesn't transcend to AFL, and this muppet has a two year contract to go.

If it was against Peel I would of been impressed, Sharks have been the easybeats for far too long now.
It's like Masten dominating WAFL, doesn't transcend to AFL, and this muppet has a two year contract to go.

Was more talking about how he moved...jumped, ran, changed direction etc rather than how many touches he got.

Sharks shouldn’t be too bad this year. Lots of ex-AFL coming in and some players returning from injury (or so my East Freo mates tell me - didn’t bother asking who).

Thing was big Griffin wasn’t playing so Nic Nat wasn’t up against too much.

I don't think he will drop off that much from what he previously produced (maybe speed, mobility around the ground, less tackles) but it will be his ongoing fragility. He has just about the biggest leap in the game but he must be close to being one of the heaviest too. Every time he goes up for a contested mark, tap, etc. there's a huge amount of unbalanced weight that will be coming down on that knee. I see him being constrained by that going forward. He will still be good when he is out there, but I will be surprised if he is out there that much going off how his surgeon described his knee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back