JLT2 - Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted to include him in my team. I think he's played well in the JLT matches. He looks very strong, but this comes with a lack of pace.

At the end of the day, he loses out to Greenwood. I'd like to include him in the 22, but I just couldn't find a position for him. We have to cull the team by 3, going from 25 to 22, so someone has to miss out. CEY is the most unlucky of these 3 players.
I've got a feeling CEY plays in front of Greenwood . Greenwood needs more endurance , more game time and training

He won't be far off but CEY is in ripping physical nick , and ready to go

Yeah... nah.

I can't see them taking all of McGovern, Walker, Lynch, JJ and Fogarty into the game. Pick 4 of those 5. JJ probably deserves to miss out, but reality is that Fogarty would be the one to miss. That said, I don't think Walker will play in R1, so Fogarty still gets the nod.

Hartigan was putrid yesterday, but he still plays in R1. Keath goes out, with Doedee effectively becoming Lever's replacement.

Murphy replaces Hampton. This is an easy decision to make, given that Murphy can actually make good decisions and usually hits a target.

Gibson's disposal is really bad, but the selectors will value his work rate and running ability. He stays, until someone else forces him out of the team.

FF Jenkins McGovern Betts
HF Douglas Fogarty Lynch
C Atkins Sloane Seedsman
HB Laird Talia Doedee
FB Kelly Hartigan Brown
R Jacobs Mrouch Gibbs
Int Murphy Mackay Gibson Greenwood

Assumptions:
  • Walker, Knight, Brouch, Milera, Gallucci all either underdone (not match fit) or injured.
  • Poholke hasn't performed well enough to get a R1 call up.
Basically, no new players from JLT2. Hampton, Keath, and CEY omitted.

Nup... greenwood cannot be given a berth over CEY in my opinion. CEY was one of our better performers yesterday and Greenwood was nowhere to be seen for a lot of the game.

Greenwood will come back in but needs to build matchfitness and form in the SANFL first going on yesterday’s display..

Everything else you’ve said is spot on.

Yeah... nah.

I can't see them taking all of McGovern, Walker, Lynch, JJ and Fogarty into the game. Pick 4 of those 5. JJ probably deserves to miss out, but reality is that Fogarty would be the one to miss. That said, I don't think Walker will play in R1, so Fogarty still gets the nod.

Hartigan was putrid yesterday, but he still plays in R1. Keath goes out, with Doedee effectively becoming Lever's replacement.

Murphy replaces Hampton. This is an easy decision to make, given that Murphy can actually make good decisions and usually hits a target.

Gibson's disposal is really bad, but the selectors will value his work rate and running ability. He stays, until someone else forces him out of the team.

FF Jenkins McGovern Betts
HF Douglas Fogarty Lynch
C Atkins Sloane Seedsman
HB Laird Talia Doedee
FB Kelly Hartigan Brown
R Jacobs Mrouch Gibbs
Int Murphy Mackay Gibson Greenwood

Assumptions:
  • Walker, Knight, Brouch, Milera, Gallucci all either underdone (not match fit) or injured.
  • Poholke hasn't performed well enough to get a R1 call up.
Basically, no new players from JLT2. Hampton, Keath, and CEY omitted.
Don't mind your team too much but looks on the slow side

I wanted to include him in my team. I think he's played well in the JLT matches. He looks very strong, but this comes with a lack of pace.

At the end of the day, he loses out to Greenwood. I'd like to include him in the 22, but I just couldn't find a position for him. We have to cull the team by 3, going from 25 to 22, so someone has to miss out. CEY is the most unlucky of these 3 players.

I thought his pace was pretty good yesterday... think I can recall atleast a couple of occasions where he broke from a stoppage and took off leaving the other players behind..

Did you actually read the post? Eddie Betts is a champion player.

He had a shocking grand final and has done nothing since.

That's the point. It wasn't a comparison of their ability.

Can I dumb it down any more for you guys?

But there’s so many factors here that you seem to be ignoring with your original post.
- Firstly Eddie is a champion player as you said, but he has so many more runs on the board than Jenkins.
- Small forward is a role similar to an outside mid that feeds off of the work of others, they are the icing on the cake. Despite Eddie needing to feed off of players like Jenkins and Tex, he still puts in work. He generates his own scores, he finds ways to get involved, he can generate scores or scoring chances for team mates against the grain 9 times out of 10. The GF was the 1/10 game.

Jenkins isn’t a champion player, and is someone that generates scores against the grain about 2 times out of 10 these days.

You keep harping on about JJs poor grand final only, but despite his goal tally, he has been poor in a lot of areas for a lot longer than just the grand final.

Did we move Fogarty from the forward line in the second half so he'd stop embarrassing Jenkins?

Why is Pyke persisting with Jenkins? He needs to be given the biggest spray and dropped to the SANFL in the faint hope he will change or we trade him at the end of the year.

I thought his pace was pretty good yesterday... think I can recall atleast a couple of occasions where he broke from a stoppage and took off leaving the other players behind..
I don't know about him breaking away from stopages. He certainly used his strength to break a few tackles though.

Nup... greenwood cannot be given a berth over CEY in my opinion. CEY was one of our better performers yesterday and Greenwood was nowhere to be seen for a lot of the game.

Greenwood will come back in but needs to build matchfitness and form in the SANFL first going on yesterday’s display..

Everything else you’ve said is spot on.
As long as it's just a matter of fitness, then I'd be happy to add Greenwood to the "underdone" group - shuffling CEY back into the team in the process. That said, a fit Greenwood is selected ahead of a fit CEY every day of the week.

But there’s so many factors here that you seem to be ignoring with your original post.
- Firstly Eddie is a champion player as you said, but he has so many more runs on the board than Jenkins.
- Small forward is a role similar to an outside mid that feeds off of the work of others, they are the icing on the cake. Despite Eddie needing to feed off of players like Jenkins and Tex, he still puts in work. He generates his own scores, he finds ways to get involved, he can generate scores or scoring chances for team mates against the grain 9 times out of 10. The GF was the 1/10 game.

Jenkins isn’t a champion player, and is someone that generates scores against the grain about 2 times out of 10 these days.

You keep harping on about JJs poor grand final only, but despite his goal tally, he has been poor in a lot of areas for a lot longer than just the grand final.
Decline started about 15 minutes after signing that juicy contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee seriously needs to start using his leg 12 handballs 2 kicks means the ball will be trapped in our defensive zone, very similar to the first JLT he lacks confidence in his leg, that should come with time or is Kelly or Keath a better option

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol, what poor one-sided analysis on a player who was one of our best.

Just give up talking about Doedee as it is making you look foolish.

Did we move Fogarty from the forward line in the second half so he'd stop embarrassing Jenkins?
At the same time JJ was moved on ball, so we effectively moved out our key forwards for much of the 2nd half & left Gov on his dodgey ankle. We were experimenting, which why I'm not too concerned.

The whole JLT is an experiment.

When you find something that’s working, note it, then change it.
Different clubs will use it differently to get what they want out of it, which is why you need to be careful reading too much into it.

We took it reasonably seriously in the 1st half & blew Port off the park. Port changed their game plan up in the second & took it more seriously than us as we experimented all over the ground.

But we need to know that

He went down there as loose man.

One day he might be able to do it

But better finding that out in the JLT, or in the last quarter when the game is won, than when it counts.
I’d like to think in training and his junior tapes would suffice. Only experiment if it’s worked at training not in a JLT game where the outcome can impact the form of players around them.

CEY plays ahead of Greenwood based on yesterday’s game. I do worry about his running ability though, his bulk affects his natural athleticism.

That’s whole idea though with a big bodied mid who has great natural strength and a good 1-2 step. He releases players like Brad and Gibbs more so to the outside.

Last edited:
CEY plays ahead of Greenwood based on yesterday’s game. I do worry about his running ability though, his bulk affects his natural athleticism.

You can’t knock CEY he is on his last chance and is throwing everything at it and his results show he deserves a crack

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back