Preview JLT2: Geelong V Essendon 7:10 pm Thursday 7th March @KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so much an actual conspiracy against Geelong but Mollison and that umpire #22 are certainly suspicious.

Just that I was told certain umpires don't necessarily umpire in the spirit of the game. They were once supporters of teams just like you and I don't forget.

In fact, I'm sure they're still supporters of teams. Just have to try to put that aside when they pick up the whistle.

In fact, I'm sure they're still supporters of teams. Just have to try to put that aside when they pick up the whistle.
Troy Pannell couldn't which is why he was stood down and now resides in retirement.

It is funny how people see things differently. Because I couldn't disagree with you more. Narkle has a lot of upside by still learning and not involved enough for mine. Atkins is an absolute lock for me. His pressure is unreal and he is much better than I had assumed with ball in hand. Guaranteed to play round 1 for me!

My post referenced the class difference. I don’t think you can argue that with ball in hand that Narkle is far more creative than Atkins? I agree that Atkins defensive pressure is elite. That is not in question.

My post referenced the class difference. I don’t think you can argue that with ball in hand that Narkle is far more creative than Atkins? I agree that Atkins defensive pressure is elite. That is not in question.

No I think I am arguing that. I reckon Atkins is twice as good as I thought he would be with ball in hand. He is straight up a player. Not saying that Narkle won't eventually be better and I hope he is but Atkins has Matty Stokes 200 games written all over him!!

No I think I am arguing that. I reckon Atkins is twice as good as I thought he would be with ball in hand. He is straight up a player. Not saying that Narkle won't eventually be better and I hope he is but Atkins has Matty Stokes 200 games written all over him!!

I miss Stokesy...one of my favourite players of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Atkins is pretty good with ball in hand. Someone must have missed that sidestep and pass to Ratugolea for our opening goal thursday night.

Wow! That’s a big rap after just two practice matches. We’ll see.

Exactly right. I'll be joining you. But pre-season games are just that. Pre-season. Ultimately we've got to see how he goes once the real thing begins.

Those of a certain vintage will remember a new recruit booting 10 goals in a pre-season game in 1990 (to say his career was underwhelming afterwards is an understatement). A prize for who can guess the name?
I'm gonna go with Shane Hamilton

Yeah, Panell got the arse? He was a shocker at Bulldogs games.
Bulldogs fan. I still remember him saying at school that if he ever umpired a Geelong game he'd do his best to make sure we lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atkins is pretty good with ball in hand. Someone must have missed that sidestep and pass to Ratugolea for our opening goal thursday night.

He looks a little like Hodge. I wonder if there’s a family connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But you never could in that respect. Striking has always been illegal. I’d argue if it’s accidental it’s not a king hit. A king hit is a deliberate act - Matthews on Bruns, Brereton on Frawley etc. It’s not in the same solar system as players merely jostling with one another. No matter how much the commentators fall over theselves to agree with it.

Not arguing striking was not illegal it was king hits are post 2000 very rare as was mentioned hall on staker. Perhaps I worded it out of context when I was talking about not touching anyone.

I think I'm more going down the path of the contact made in the contest. Thats where the rules have changed incidental contact where high contact is involved, tackle interpretation, driving blokes into the ground was the normal ( now that's a dangerous tackle) . Bumps in general are just too dangerous for clubs in a sense players could be rubbed out 4-6 weeks if they get it wrong ( if you chose to bump and a player ducks or lowers themself well......) If your not hitting the middle of the shoulder or stomach you wouldnt even coach it anymore. You are better off letting the opposition take possession and tackling or let them hit me below the knees.

A simple trip will cost you a week and in fyfes case 2014 should of been rubbed out and no brownlow. If it wasnt so rediculous to be rubbed out for a trip like that one.

Even high contact micheal christian eye balls the slow motion replay if a blade of hair is raised sees in that split second my eyes were on the player. Even if I miss but the intent was there I would be nervous could get slapped with a conduct charge.

In a the previous era where you could crunch into packs with knees, huge bumps if your attacking the footy or you posses the footy generally that was looked upon as bad luck and a football play if I'm low and so are they I have the ball and I get someone accidentally on the way through. Now you have a duty of care if the ball is in dispute now it bounces up I leave the ground and collect someone high with a forearm by reflex to protect myself with the ball . It's 50/50 if you play next week.

You go further tunneling, protecting the drop zone. They had to remove hands in the back because it was a farce alex rance was shooting himself out of a cannon. Lindsay thomas got an invitation to the Olympics for long jump.

You saw baguley go down and the emergency umpire remembered the memo even the most marginal open hand slap or backhand to the stomach is a free kick minimum. Micheal Voss would of played 100 less games in this era.

Too high used to be around the V on your shirt or contact to the neck or head . It's just a brush over the shoulder now and the umpire in the right angle to see it. Players are trained to take advantage of these rules so they should.

That's more what I mean when I say compared to different eras the way contact is interpreted and the suspension penalties are so different from even 10 years ago.

So instead of being trained to absorb contact and get the ball first. The best players now are smart players knowing how to position, when to attack, when to sit off, how to create favourable contact through body motions. What's the modern prototype marcus bontempelli tall athletic, good skills, decision maker.

Not saying these changes are bad at all physically in terms of running athletically it's more challenging. They are bigger, faster and more skilled than ever before.

It has just changed dramatically. I wonder what this era will look like to 18 year olds in 25 years on.

Same.

I have only seen a bit of the JLT but I do like this new 6 rule. Seems to stop the centre bounce scrum/ ball up/scrum repetition. It really gets the game flowing. I'm not sold on Constable for round one.

Yeah the rule is o.k I never liked them bringing it in though not because of how it is now. But when you start zoning players it generally gets expanded on. So next year perhaps 6 players need to be in your forward half of the ground at all times. That's why I'm afraid and why I was never an advocate.

If you could bring in one rule that the afl could dictate what style of game is played this would be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back