AFL Toast JLT2: Geelong vs Essendon, Central Reserve, Sunday 11/03/18 @ 1:05 PM

Does anybody care who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Observations

Geelong:

Essendon: Essendon had a belting at the hands of the reigning premiers, which was understandable due to Richmond having most of their premiership side in and the Dons having a nasty case of gastro running through the club. Devon Smith impressed in the midfield along with Dyson Heppell and Adam Saad.

Head to Head (last 5)

Geelong 4-1 Essendon

Form Guide

Geelong:
Essendon:

Sportsbet odds

Geelong:
Essendon:
Line: ($1.92)

Possible sides

Geelong vs Essendon

B: McKenna - Hartley - Ambrose
F: Cockatoo - Hawkins - Menzel
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Saad
HF: Parfitt - Crameri - Menegola
C: Parish - Stringer - Z Merrett
C: Duncan - J Selwood - Guthrie
HF: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher - Fantasia
HB: Tuohy - Henderson - Stewart
F: Stewart - Hooker - Begley
B: Kolodjashnij - Taylor - Bews
R: Bellchambers - Goddard - Heppell
R: Z Smith - Dangerfield - Ablett
I: McGrath - Langford - Myers - Z Merrett - Leuenberger - D Smith - Zaharakis - Brown
I: S Selwood - McCarthy - Parsons - Blicavs - Kelly - Thurlow - Buzza - Horlin-Smith

Geelong defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line was the highlight of the 2017 season, finishing 3rd in terms of overall goals/inside 50 ratio behind the two teams in Adelaide, with an efficiency rating of 28%. Geelong had a solid defensive efficiency rating last season, conceding a goal 24% of the time. Daniher will be keen to get some good form going after having his colours lowered against Richmond, and will get a real challenge in the form of Lachie Henderson, whilst Cale Hooker and James Stewart will have their first proper hit out for the season against the likes of Harry Taylor and Jake Kolodjashnij, and star small forwards Orazio Fantasia and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti will probably cop Jed Bews and Tom Stewart, in a good hit out for the players.

Midfield/rucks battle

The biggest challenge for Essendon will be trying to win it in the middle, Essendon's hasn't been very well performing well in recent years, finishing 14th in clearance differential and 10th in Contested Possession differential last season, with Geelong finishing 10th and 2nd in those categories respectively. Essendon have added two shiny new things to their midfield in Devon Smith and Jake Stringer, the former having seemingly made an immediate impact to the Essendon side, and the latter has made an impression in terms of what he's doing to his body this year. Geelong have a new plaything as well, a bloke a couple of blokes might know, just some hack called Gary Ablett jr, who will make a fine addition to a midfield that already boasts the likes of Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood, Mitch Duncan and Cameron Guthrie. Not a bad player to put in there as well. Ruck wise it'll be a good battle between Zac Smith and Tom Bellchambers as the pair probably go head to head for most of it.

Geelong forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence had an enjoyable 2017 for the most part despite being under extreme pressure most weeks, they had a very high defensive efficiency rating of 23% in the last season. Geelong were a good attacking side, kicking a goal 26% of the time it entered their forward 50. Michael Hartley is likely to get the Tom Hawkins match up, whilst Wylie Buzza will probably go head-to-head with All Australian defender Michael Hurley, leaving Patrick Ambrose to likely take former Don Stewart Crameri in the head-to-heads for the key talls, whilst Martin Gleeson is likely to take the dangerous Daniel Menzel as mediums, with Conor McKenna and Adam Saad likely to take a rotation of the smalls.

X-Factor Player

Adam Saad is the third of Essendon's new toys, the man coming down from Gold Coast and will be aggressive as always in his rebound for the Dons, the man arguably the one who'll have the biggest impact of the three with the way Essendon play

Key stat

Geelong: Defensive efficiency. Their defense is very experienced, and an excellent core of KPP's need to get on top of the Dons' elite 1-2-3 punch forward

Essendon: Clearances. Need to win this for Essendon to have an impact, as last game showed.

Tip

Hard to know how each side will take things, but I suspect Essendon will get up as they need good form running into Adelaide round 1, Dons by 18

Last edited:

I think one of Hartley or Brown will go out for this one and hopefully Hurley plays as our defence was pretty terrible against the Tigers.
Surely McKernan holds his spot, although i'd like to see one or both of Hooker & Stewart play....my side;-

Ambrose Hartley Saad
Gleeson Hurley McKenna
Parish Heppell McGrath
Tippa McKernan Smith
Stringer Daniher Fantasia

Luey Zakka Z.Merrett

Bench from:
Goddard Myers Langford Dea
Begley Baguley Clarke Houlahan

Looking forward to seeing Langford with some more game time, hopefully a bit more midfield exposure, otherwise its going to be a baptism of fire against Sloane/crouchx2/Gibbs Round 1.

Id like to see Parish spend some time on Selwood for the learning experience, maybe Stringer on Danger for him to learn off him. Wouldn't mind seeing Hartley on Hawkins. Hawkins really destroyed him last year so would be good for another taste of what he needs to do.

Hopefully a bit more energetic performance and get this game plan bedded down with those errors ironed out. If we don't score as heavily that's ok, just get that defence aspect sorted and the midfield contest sorted.

We need to improve on our last outing 500%. Gastro free but not pressure free.

These are the guys I would like to be included in the team however I am not sure how to fit them all in.

Ins: Hurley, Hooker, TBell, Stewart, Fantasia, Myers,
Redman, Guelfi,

Outs:
Leuy, Dea, Baguely, Browne, ?, ?, ?,?

Just let it be better than JLT1. I'd prefer not to be a complete laughing stock through the preseason.

I mean I know there is the saying about lulling your opponent into a false sense of security but I think we take it a little too far.

We need to improve on our last outing 500%. Gastro free but not pressure free.

These are the guys I would like to be included in the team however I am not sure how to fit them all in.

Ins: Hurley, Hooker, TBell, Stewart, Fantasia, Myers,
Redman, Guelfi,

Outs:
Leuy, Dea, Baguely, Browne, ?, ?, ?,?
Long, Draper, Green and i'd give Goddard a rest. Not a lot of point risking him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We probably wander down to have a look at this game providing Colac turns the weather on next weekend, anyone know Colac at all, best place to park?

Hopefully we field a strong side.

Wanting to see some physicality, tackling and effort in this game. I really don't buy the "why risk injury in a preseason game" line.

Back