Game Day JLT2 - Melbourne v St Kilda, Thursday 8 March, 7.05pm, Casey

Remove this Banner Ad

People have changed? What a wank statement. That's the attitude that is destroying the game. It's always about pleasing the Fairweathers rather than respecting those who truly have passion for the game
Good to see you policing how people can and can't be passionate about things

Passion to me doesn't sound like 'ooh it's too hard to get 2 trains and I don't like getting wet'
People are happy to do those things for the most enjoyable option possible, and watching games at suburban crowds is not that.

Probably my fault for the derail. Meh.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't full strength, only 23 selected and last game before the real stuff. Should be the round 1 team essentially

We'll put our best team out there, Goody takes preseason pretty seriously and we have 17 days after this game till we play Geelong so you wouldn't want any best 22 players not playing.

I haven't been for a long time but I can't imagine a quarter full stadium against GC has anything resembling an atmosphere

Our supports usually provide reasonable atmosphere even though we get poor turnouts for games like that, but yeah a boutique stadium would be so much better for those games. It is a s**t look on TV too when a 100k capacity ground has 20-25k in.

Keen to get some footy into Jetta, Tyson and Viney. Would also like a look at Frost and Weideman. Would be good to give Max King a go too, just so we have some kind of indication of what happens should Gawn go down (Pedo aside).

I don't know how anyone can say AFL clubs don't have an identity.

Dees players are soft as s**t. And their supports have excellent elocution.

Collingwood players are degenerates and their supporters unemployable.

Port Adelaide are bogans.

Adelaide are s**t.

I could go on forever but I'm going to get a cheese board ready for tonight's dinner party.
Carlton has a population of less than 15,000 people; Richmond around 22,000; there's just no way a club could survive if it limited itself to it's geographic area. And that "geographic area" is probably where it's identity or whatever stems from.

I think you were right the first time- if there were 6 Victorian club, yes, you could have more of an "identity" and more actual rivalries but who would actually want that?
If we were dividing Victoria on geographic areas and cutting down clubs, we'd be the first to go.

People are happy to do those things for the most enjoyable option possible, and watching games at suburban crowds is not that.

In your opinion. Plenty of people like mingling with the crowds. The hill at the Adelaide oval is still one of the best things you can do in Australia.

We'll put our best team out there, Goody takes preseason pretty seriously and we have 17 days after this game till we play Geelong so you wouldn't want any best 22 players not playing.

Our supports usually provide reasonable atmosphere even though we get poor turnouts for games like that, but yeah a boutique stadium would be so much better for those games. It is a s**t look on TV too when a 100k capacity ground has 20-25k in.

Yah I don't see any surprises. I'd say if Fritsch and any other players of that ilk get selected then they will play round 1.

On the second point yeah, as great as the MCG is a sold out 25-30k stadium would sound so much better and you could create a home atmosphere that's missing. Could keep the G for the games against Victorian clubs.
Keen to get some footy into Jetta, Tyson and Viney. Would also like a look at Frost and Weideman. Would be good to give Max King a go too, just so we have some kind of indication of what happens should Gawn go down (Pedo aside).

Kings nowhere near it unless he's magically done something off season. We will play Pedo>Mcdonald>Frost>King in the ruck.

One thing I would like to see is each club should get their own u21s back and going. Players still nominate for the draft at 18 as per usual and anyone unselected is eligible for the u21s. Surely the clubs would develop more AFL ready players this way and you would lose far less players who go undrafted and end up in the country leagues. Teams at the bottom of the ladder could really focus on scouting development players for the U21s and if they have a lot of prospects could set themselves for the draft accordingly

In your opinion. Plenty of people like mingling with the crowds. The hill at the Adelaide oval is still one of the best things you can do in Australia.
Yeah but it’s a lot more fun to do at a 55k capacity stadium

One thing I would like to see is each club should get their own u21s back and going. Players still nominate for the draft at 18 as per usual and anyone unselected is eligible for the u21s. Surely the clubs would develop more AFL ready players this way and you would lose far less players who go undrafted and end up in the country leagues. Teams at the bottom of the ladder could really focus on scouting development players for the U21s and if they have a lot of prospects could set themselves for the draft accordingly

I wouldn't mind that. Personally I have always been a fan of having a national reserves comp, who just play straight before the AFL game. I know that to make it work though the state leagues would probably get shat on in some way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but adelaide oval was still the premier venue in the city. It’s not like people were choosing between sitting on a hill at a suburban footy ground and the MCG.

You've kinda twisted this way off topic. It started out as me saying I wish clubs had their own grounds to you saying you would hate to go to a ground where someone might spill your chai latte and anti pesto accompaniments

You've kinda twisted this way off topic. It started out as me saying I wish clubs had their own grounds to you saying you would hate to go to a ground where someone might spill your chai latte and anti pesto accompaniments
Personally I’m pro pesto

I heard talk of them doing exactly that. I hope that eventuates. Would be great to watch the Ressies before the main event again.

I heard talk of them doing exactly that. I hope that eventuates. Would be great to watch the Ressies before the main event again.
These new rules around scraping the pregame warm ups would certainly point to bringing back Curtain Raisers first and foremost, with hopefully a progression to brining back reserves, or something similar to follow.

I think Topkent is on the right track, with an U/21 comp, or something of the sort. It'd work in well with some people's calls (Pretty sure Roosy is big on it) of, not so much lifting the draft age, but allowing players to be drafted as normal, but then seeing them play in the Reserves until they're 21 or so. You'd probably need to have an allowance of say, 3-5 under 21 players who you can play in the AFL, as some guys are just ready from day 1. It obviously wouldn't be an U/21s comp as such, as that wouldn't work with players coming back from injury, players out of form, and your Jake Spencer's of the world, but it would, for the most part, be mostly young players, and would get a bit of a following.

These new rules around scraping the pregame warm ups would certainly point to bringing back Curtain Raisers first and foremost, with hopefully a progression to brining back reserves, or something similar to follow.

I think Topkent is on the right track, with an U/21 comp, or something of the sort. It'd work in well with some people's calls (Pretty sure Roosy is big on it) of, not so much lifting the draft age, but allowing players to be drafted as normal, but then seeing them play in the Reserves until they're 21 or so. You'd probably need to have an allowance of say, 3-5 under 21 players who you can play in the AFL, as some guys are just ready from day 1. It obviously wouldn't be an U/21s comp as such, as that wouldn't work with players coming back from injury, players out of form, and your Jake Spencer's of the world, but it would, for the most part, be mostly young players, and would get a bit of a following.
I reckon it's to prep for an 18-side AFLW comp.

That's the one thing that's missing about the long-term plan for the AFLW - what happens when it has to go head to head with the men's leagues? Where are sides going to play etc is of huge importance in the long term. I reckon they'll move to a curtain-raiser format for the whole AFLW.

That's the one thing that's missing about the long-term plan for the AFLW - what happens when it has to go head to head with the men's leagues? Where are sides going to play etc is of huge importance in the long term. I reckon they'll move to a curtain-raiser format for the whole AFLW.
Yeah possibly, I feel like the 18 team comp might be a bit too far down the track for it to be the only plan. 14 teams is 2 years away, and there is a lot to happen between now and then.

Steve Hocking doesn't appear to be messing around, I think you could get a Reserves comp off the ground pretty quickly

I would love all day footy. Rock up to the G at 10, watch ressies, watch the women, watch the men, bring breaky cheeseboard, lunch cheeseboard and arvo tea cheeseboard.

You would have to charge full price for AFLW then. Can't have a bunch of free loaders rocking up an hour early because they don't have local footy commitments and keeping their seats all the way through to the men's game.

Personally I hope it's reserves and not AFLW. Would much prefer the youngsters over the women.

I’ve explained to you why it’s not feasible and wouldn’t be popular anymore. Clearly we’re not going to agree on this point

I’ve explained to you why it’s not feasible and wouldn’t be popular anymore. Clearly we’re not going to agree on this point

I figured we wouldn't agree about 15 posts back but this off season is dragging on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back