JLT2 vs Saints

dogwatch

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
JLT (Marks versus Contested Marks)

JLT1: Versus Gold Coast, Marks 76, Contested Marks 10.

JLT2: Versus St Kilda, Marks 48, Contested Marks 5.

Naughton and Wood combined for 9 of the 15 Contested Marks.

Caleb Daniel and Bailey Smith did not take a Mark in either game.

I wish I had a big word to describe this disparity, thank you dog-watch. I would type out
all the players, but that would be unconscionable.
How about “...in marked contrast to...” ?😏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yojimbo

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I absolutely remember Daniel taking a mark wide at half back in JLT2 running with the flight.
Duck eggs on the statistics sheet, but they do make mistakes not like he stands out on the field because
he wears a helmet or anything. Knowing us at the moment it was probably a handball receive.

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Opportunities lost

We had the opportunity to have a couple of wins against lower sides in JLT1 & JLT2

Unfortunately we gave that up

Winning would have created some confidences within the playing group & support base which would have encourage memberships

If it’s an experiment / training run why televise them or why play them?

We play on grounds that don’t suit us; I understand money is everything in today’s world of sport however wouldn’t it be prudent to play on grounds where we have a good winning record?

Isn’t winning games our aim?

Whoyagot

Senior List
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Opportunities lost

We had the opportunity to have a couple of wins against lower sides in JLT1 & JLT2

Unfortunately we gave that up

Winning would have created some confidences within the playing group & support base which would have encourage memberships
I agree. Just practice games but I’m far more pessimistic about our season already. Both squads were so unbalanced with players being chopped and changed to try and plug holes. Is Naughton playing forward or defense this season? Why is Williams playing half back after training in the midfield all offseason? Why is Dunkley playing minutes forward and again showing a serious lack of ability in that role when he showed last year how strong he was in the middle? Why is Suckling, one of our best ball users and accumulators out of the back half being played as a defensive half forward? Why are bont, Dunkley and even Morris contesting hitouts, sometimes in the centre circle, when we have Trengrove and English playing in the team? Why have we strayed from the stronger kicking game that we were developing late last year?

Sure it could be practice match experimentation and I hope the coaches have it all sorted out for round 1 but if these are dress rehearsals I’m very nervous to see the final result, especially against a team like Sydney.

We simply must start well this year. Everyone says round 1 is just 1 game but after round we got flogged by GWS last year everyone knew we weren’t going to get near it. We must be more competitive this time!

DognBones

Club Legend
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I agree. Just practice games but I’m far more pessimistic about our season already. Both squads were so unbalanced with players being chopped and changed to try and plug holes. Is Naughton playing forward or defense this season? Why is Williams playing half back after training in the midfield all offseason? Why is Dunkley playing minutes forward and again showing a serious lack of ability in that role when he showed last year how strong he was in the middle? Why is Suckling, one of our best ball users and accumulators out of the back half being played as a defensive half forward? Why are bont, Dunkley and even Morris contesting hitouts, sometimes in the centre circle, when we have Trengrove and English playing in the team? Why have we strayed from the stronger kicking game that we were developing late last year?

Sure it could be practice match experimentation and I hope the coaches have it all sorted out for round 1 but if these are dress rehearsals I’m very nervous to see the final result, especially against a team like Sydney.

We simply must start well this year. Everyone says round 1 is just 1 game but after round we got flogged by GWS last year everyone knew we weren’t going to get near it. We must be more competitive this time!
I wish I could give an intelligent response to some/any of your questions but I'm clueless. Perhaps all can be explained by Bev's multi position mantra which seems to be working beautifully thus far.

Mofra

AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, The Exers
Moderator #709

It is worrying - JLT1 experimenting I can understand but JLT2?

We did it last year with Wood forward all pre-season then after a game and a half he's moved back.
Where does Daniel play this year? The Saints managed to isolate him a few times.
Why does Dickson not get a look in after his best pre-season in years?
Richards looked great on the backline and one the wing, he gets shoved into no-man's land on the HFF?

Top Bottom