JLT2 vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest disappointment about the JLT games is that we look totally devoid of a plan. Players are chopped and changed in an erratic fashion. Daniel down back manning up the biggest blokes on the pitch. Our gun defender is sacrificed to patch a hole up forward. Everyone has a go in the ruck. We even try nobody in the ruck.

Bevo is shuffling his pack furiously. For such a seemingly methodical bloke, it looks alarmingly like a scattergun approach to the game. Nobody knows what they’re doing or who is around them. Bollocks to flexibly and versatility, how about we get some continuity and consistency.

but isnt that what practice games are for? Should we play Hayes and Durea in the real stuff? lets find out... apparently not!

how does naughton go up forward in a pinch? pretty good!

job done, thanks JLT

Maybe, but his insane work rate is valuable. How many times are we going forward and the ball carriers options are hunter and none?

True---we lack that leg speed to spread, yes hunter is not fast but he reads the play better than anyone else in our side---thats why he often gets the ball in space. If he had JJ's jets and could kick 50+ he would be top 10 mids in the comp.

Exactly. Then you get another defender trying to help Daniel out and we are basically a man down.

Daniel is very good ball in hand and he’s one of the few showing a bit of composure back there. However the gains are quite simply not worth the guaranteed 3+ goals per game it is going to cost us.

Get him further forward where his strengths are still appreciated and his weaknesses aren’t going to cost goals.

But what do I know.

Such an interesting problem. A player with his strengths should be a link up player like Hunter but I think he is just so slow over distance which is exposed in the open spaces. I think he is just too slow to offer an option when we have it AND defend his area when we dont. You cant just opt midfielders out of two way running.

Might turn out that he isnt suited to AFL after all, not directly due to height, but ability to cover ground

It's a problem that needs to be looked at IMO. He's too good to not play but I'm not sure the wing is suited to him especially if we have a guy like Macrae lining up on the other wing. I feel like Macrae does his best work inside the centre bounces.

We need more attacking players lining up on either side of the ground to get the ball inside 50 quickly into dangerous spots.

I think we should delist him once his contract runs out tbh. He definitely makes us a worse team. We could replace him with Brad Lynch who can kick the ball a lot further.

MD have loved your work for a long time but I am going to have to put you om the ignore list now Your just rambling and rambling now mate Anyway that is my opinion and it means Jack so let it be

Anyone who doesnt have MD on ignore by now is a masochist. all he does it ramble narcissistically. The problem is, half the posts in every thread are of people arguing with him so just ignoring him doesnt completely solve the problem.

In a nutshell you've hit the hammer-----exact same game plan which in 2015/16 worked a treat. Now the game has changed dramatically from the frenetic short quick handballs rebounding out of def 50. But Bevo, we all love him for bringing us a second flag, but this year must be a double figure amount in the Win column...if not then a review, alas Richmond 2016, Collingwood 2017, and Saints last year must be done at seasons end.

What disappoints me, and what gave me high hopes for a top 8 finish was the last four games of 2018--we went 3-1 (should have beaten Richmond), but also the way we attacked the ball and played with more direct kicking as opposed to overuse of handballing, which if you stuff up costs you big time.

..l.
One thing is certain. Bevo is going to get caned either way if we continue losing. That's probably fair enough, mind you, especially if you're the obdurate "my way or the highway" sort of coach that Bev is.

Some blame him for sticking with a game plan that's no longer relevant and applicable. Others blame him for changing the game plan straight after winning a flag.

So which one is it?

As none of his know him personally, but he seems like a stubborn coach. He persists with playing the group in multiple roles, which is good to cover injuries etc, but when it is plainly clear that the new role, for eg. Wood as a forward last year, fails dismally, it not only costs the team but robs that player of the confidence he had (HBF/Rebounder)----Wood is half the player he was 3 years ago, injuries have taken a toll but so has the failed experiment. Watching him yesterday, he played on Gresham most of the time and often gave him 20-30 metres goal side space and it looked like he couldn't care less. We have to start or at least try in the early rounds to play all our defenders man to man. Like I said earlier, we give up more goals from opposing fwds marking mainly uncontested for the past two seasons-----and its Bevo's persistence with wanting to have his defenders play 5-15 in front of their direct opponent.

As none of his know him personally, but he seems like a stubborn coach. He persists with playing the group in multiple roles, which is good to cover injuries etc, but when it is plainly clear that the new role, for eg. Wood as a forward last year, fails dismally, it not only costs the team but robs that player of the confidence he had (HBF/Rebounder)----Wood is half the player he was 3 years ago, injuries have taken a toll but so has the failed experiment. Watching him yesterday, he played on Gresham most of the time and often gave him 20-30 metres goal side space and it looked like he couldn't care less. We have to start or at least try in the early rounds to play all our defenders man to man. Like I said earlier, we give up more goals from opposing fwds marking mainly uncontested for the past two seasons-----and its Bevo's persistence with wanting to have his defenders play 5-15 in front of their direct opponent.

I’m a Bevo fan but I can’t tolerate his ruck rotations

Do we try Trengove back english ruck and bite the bullet and throw Naughty forward? That way we have two rucks in the team without touching Naughty/Schache or the smalls which is a bonus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we try Trengove back english ruck and bite the bullet and throw Naughty forward? That way we have two rucks in the team without touching Naughty/Schache or the smalls which is a bonus.

Seems good in theory but Trengove was absolutely horrible in defence last year. He’s almost the dumbest smart footballer I’ve seen.

I'm pretty keen on that. I honestly feel like Naughton is our best KPD now, but we need to face the reality that we may never recruit the KPF we really need, and he is arguably now the best defender and best forward on our list. While he may be better in defence, it might be best for the team that he spends the season up forward learning the craft, then we look to recruit a KPD in the off-season. Surely with enough money thrown his way, David Astbury can be convinced to move over through free agency (replacing Naughton/Morris). Richmond would struggle to match anything within their cap, and he would fill a desperate need for KPPs

we lack leg speed and pressure i50 and that means teams can exit without much pressure and are able to hit targets.

Direct opponent, have not heard that one for a long time. Perhaps it should be the player standing nearest to the
patch of grass they are occupying.

surely sarcassim; but not sure if you know that even in 2019 as a defender you must mind your man first-- not ball watch 20mtrs off you direct opponent

Why not Fletcher Roberts?
Game seems to have gone past him unfortunately. The limited games he played last year he failed to impress, and didn't even come into consideration for JLT. Would be nice if he was able to get himself back into the side as a KPD, allowing Naughton to swing forward while not suffering such a big loss in defence

I agree with Trengove to the backline

We need a bigger unit at centre half back

If we continue to play the zone we need taller players to make ground and punch

Unfortunately Cordy is up against bigger and stronger opponents

We need to get Cordy on the 3 or 4 forward someone more his size

I would also bring in Lewis Young and Fletcher Roberts to help out in the backline

Then we can leave Aaron Naughton forward with Josh Schache

Tim English and Jordon Sweet ruck

St. Kilda were to big and to strong for us

Time to structure up

Are Supergoals no longer a part of the preseason games, or is it just that has nobody from any team has kicked one this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back