JLT2 vs Saints

Hey lads good game on the weekend. Thought you guys have a real good player on your hands in Naughton, reads the flight of the ball well and has really strong hands.

Good luck for the actual season!

St Kilda and proud.
Cheers. It would be bloody good if we had two Naughtons - one at each end!

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
JLT (Marks versus Contested Marks)

JLT1: Versus Gold Coast, Marks 76, Contested Marks 10.

JLT2: Versus St Kilda, Marks 48, Contested Marks 5.

Naughton and Wood combined for 10 of the 15 Contested Marks.

Caleb Daniel and Bailey Smith did not take a Mark in either game.

I wish I had a big word to describe this disparity, thank you dog-watch. I would type out
all the players, but that would be unconscionable.

Last edited:
JLT (Marks versus Contested Marks)

JLT1: Versus Gold Coast, Marks 76, Contested Marks 10.

JLT2: Versus St Kilda, Marks 48, Contested Marks 5.

Naughton and Wood combined for 9 of the 15 Contested Marks.

Caleb Daniel and Bailey Smith did not take a Mark in either game.

I wish I had a big word to describe this disparity, thank you dog-watch. I would type out
all the players, but that would be unconscionable.
How about “...in marked contrast to...” ?😏

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Opportunities lost

We had the opportunity to have a couple of wins against lower sides in JLT1 & JLT2

Unfortunately we gave that up

Winning would have created some confidences within the playing group & support base which would have encourage memberships

If it’s an experiment / training run why televise them or why play them?

We play on grounds that don’t suit us; I understand money is everything in today’s world of sport however wouldn’t it be prudent to play on grounds where we have a good winning record?

Isn’t winning games our aim?

Whoyagot

All Australian
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Opportunities lost

We had the opportunity to have a couple of wins against lower sides in JLT1 & JLT2

Unfortunately we gave that up

Winning would have created some confidences within the playing group & support base which would have encourage memberships

I agree. Just practice games but I’m far more pessimistic about our season already. Both squads were so unbalanced with players being chopped and changed to try and plug holes. Is Naughton playing forward or defense this season? Why is Williams playing half back after training in the midfield all offseason? Why is Dunkley playing minutes forward and again showing a serious lack of ability in that role when he showed last year how strong he was in the middle? Why is Suckling, one of our best ball users and accumulators out of the back half being played as a defensive half forward? Why are bont, Dunkley and even Morris contesting hitouts, sometimes in the centre circle, when we have Trengrove and English playing in the team? Why have we strayed from the stronger kicking game that we were developing late last year?

Sure it could be practice match experimentation and I hope the coaches have it all sorted out for round 1 but if these are dress rehearsals I’m very nervous to see the final result, especially against a team like Sydney.

We simply must start well this year. Everyone says round 1 is just 1 game but after round we got flogged by GWS last year everyone knew we weren’t going to get near it. We must be more competitive this time!

I agree. Just practice games but I’m far more pessimistic about our season already. Both squads were so unbalanced with players being chopped and changed to try and plug holes. Is Naughton playing forward or defense this season? Why is Williams playing half back after training in the midfield all offseason? Why is Dunkley playing minutes forward and again showing a serious lack of ability in that role when he showed last year how strong he was in the middle? Why is Suckling, one of our best ball users and accumulators out of the back half being played as a defensive half forward? Why are bont, Dunkley and even Morris contesting hitouts, sometimes in the centre circle, when we have Trengrove and English playing in the team? Why have we strayed from the stronger kicking game that we were developing late last year?

Sure it could be practice match experimentation and I hope the coaches have it all sorted out for round 1 but if these are dress rehearsals I’m very nervous to see the final result, especially against a team like Sydney.

We simply must start well this year. Everyone says round 1 is just 1 game but after round we got flogged by GWS last year everyone knew we weren’t going to get near it. We must be more competitive this time!
I wish I could give an intelligent response to some/any of your questions but I'm clueless. Perhaps all can be explained by Bev's multi position mantra which seems to be working beautifully thus far.

It is worrying - JLT1 experimenting I can understand but JLT2?

We did it last year with Wood forward all pre-season then after a game and a half he's moved back.
Where does Daniel play this year? The Saints managed to isolate him a few times.
Why does Dickson not get a look in after his best pre-season in years?
Richards looked great on the backline and one the wing, he gets shoved into no-man's land on the HFF?

Back