SorryIHammerChicken

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2005
Cameron White
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Team Carbonaro™..........
Anyone had a good run with job interviews? I've got one coming up for my first serious (ie, where I actually use my education to get in the door) job. Apparently they ask questions like "name a time where you've had to use your initiative to solve a problem".

I've got a couple of ideas up my sleeve, mainly using my experience in a debating team, experience with working in group situations at work and uni etc. Anyone got any ones out of left field though that I could have a think over and adapt to suit my needs? :) And to those who have been successful, what have been your strong points in interviews?

Say you were involved in running a training camp for boy scouts or a camp for young people. Haven't tried using this myself, but it shows that you have leadership skills - if the guy interviewing you is a real nerd he'll appreciate it.

i've been involved in the committee of my sporting club since i was 17... when i was going for interviews in my first year of Uni that experience gave me such an edge over everyone else...

if you're involved in some sort of organisation like that think about what people at that organisation do, say you've helped them out or something...

In your first interview make sure you use textbook terms HR people like. Look up some buzzwords, challenge/strive/goals/achievement/team/leadership rather than hard/try/aim/happy/mates/a few of us etc and use them.

Take in one of those soft folders with the see through cover with a copy of the job advertisement on top, have things circled on the ad, a couple of arrows etc make some notes, but more importantly also make yourself some small notes on what you want to bring up, maybe even write a couple of buzzwords.

I remember my first ever job interview as a 21 y.o prospective junior accountant with the Lakes Entrance council, I arrived in town at least 2 hours early for a 9.a.m interview having left home before 4 a.m and walked into an interview totally unprepared for the 5! people interviewing me, notes are an antidote to nervousness.

and most importantly wait for them to finish their sentence before starting your answer

it's something I never consciously realised I did.

First interview stage is normally HR morons, 2nd interview is generally where you get to impress your future boss.

Anyone had a good run with job interviews? I've got one coming up for my first serious (ie, where I actually use my education to get in the door) job. Apparently they ask questions like "name a time where you've had to use your initiative to solve a problem".

I've got a couple of ideas up my sleeve, mainly using my experience in a debating team, experience with working in group situations at work and uni etc. Anyone got any ones out of left field though that I could have a think over and adapt to suit my needs? :) And to those who have been successful, what have been your strong points in interviews?

Interview wise i am 1 out of 1! I was told that the best part of my interview was that i didn't make up stuff. They asked me a question regarding if i had used a certain piece of equiptment and i said will no i haven't but i went on to stalk about how i had used similar types of equiptment. I was SO nervous, and thought i done terribly but i was told a week later that i had gotten the job when i thought that i would never hear from them again.
Also the other thing that i would recomend would be to read and read your application letter and cover letter because most of my questions were based around topics in the job and person specifications. Goodluck and let us know how you go.

Interview wise i am 1 out of 1! I was told that the best part of my interview was that i didn't make up stuff. They asked me a question regarding if i had used a certain piece of equiptment and i said will no i haven't but i went on to stalk about how i had used similar types of equiptment. I was SO nervous, and thought i done terribly but i was told a week later that i had gotten the job when i thought that i would never hear from them again.
Also the other thing that i would recomend would be to read and read your application letter and cover letter because most of my questions were based around topics in the job and person specifications. Goodluck and let us know how you go.
Nice work mate. You must have been relieved that you got to speak to a real person instead of the HR morons, as Falchoon eloquently put it. :)

I had the interview yesterday which went for about 40 minutes and reckon I struggled through it. There were 6 questions, all based on "adverse circumstances", "communication skills" etc. The first 4 I absolutely nailed and she even gave me a commentary at the time saying it's good how much detail you've provided and she was impressed with the situations. Then on the next 2 questions I bombed - I simply had no more material. After the interview she said "we have a lot of applicants" (I understand there are about 40 people vying for 5 positions) and said I needed to elaborate more on the "action" element of my answers. She provided some good advice for future interviews (got another one on Friday) but it's obvious I was slaughtered on the last 2 questions and am no chance of getting through to the next stage.

an intrinsic confidence (not arrogance though!)

Spot on, and I reckon it can be difficult to distinguish between these at times. I know my biggest downfall in interviews is trying to mask my nerves with confidence but instead coming across as too relaxed, kind of like I already have the job in the bag and the interview is just a formality.

I had questions from right field in my second last one.

How does:
Can you name a time you have broken the rules? Why?
What do you enjoy about your job currently? (have an answer ready)
Can you name a time you have had to work as a team? What was the outcome?

Those three really screwed me. They sound simple but without a little pre-thinking the answers can come out sounding really bad. Have the answers ready and make them interesting without being over the top.

one word: confidence.

I interview dozens of people every week. I strongly recomment a firm handshake, strong eye contact, and an intrinsic confidence (not arrogance though!) about your abilities to do the job.

If you project that, the rest will fall into place.
It's easy to do that once you have a pretty good idea of what you have to say. From there, confidence is a natural progression.

Everyone probably has a good idea of what they are going to say so you have to differentiate yourself somehow. I don't have any good examples of STARs though (which is what you need in a behavioural interview, which is obviously what you've been going for).

Had a couple in the last week or so. First impressions are lasting impressions so dress well, greet all your interviewers and have a firm hand shake. Also thank them for their time after the interview.

I think the best thing to do is to imagine the interview from the interviewers point of view. That way you can write down a list of probably and potential questions that you can prepare for.

Preparation is the key. If you go in a wing it you spend alot of your mental capacity thinking on your feet and not coherently answering the question. By eliminating the winging it aspect then there is less pressure.

Buying a book on the entire interview process/selection criteria stuff was a very good decision as it helped me eliminate habits that are frowned upon that I though interviewers and employers would appreciate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to do that once you have a pretty good idea of what you have to say. From there, confidence is a natural progression.

practice makes perfect, and you can't be too prepared.

The point I make though is that behavioural questions are not asked for a specific response. They are asked to gain an appreciation of the manner in which the candidate conducts themselves. Are they a good communicator? Can they think on their feet? Can they remain cool under pressure?

Confidence in your own ability is the best way to achieve those goals. Naturally, you've got to be able to do the job. There's no good bullshitting. But it's that confidence that will make you stand out of a dozen similar skill-sets.

I've mentioned it before around these boards, but I have a few interview tricks. One particularly is really, really good; and I've never used it and not got the job :cool:

Job Interviews can be funny sometimes..

I was working at a Government school and had to go for an interview when my contract was up for renewal (was competeing for the job with one other person due to a reduction in funding). Anyway it was one of the MOST nerve racking interview I have ever had. And I knew these people very well!!

Ironically, the job I'm currently in now (Catholic school) the interview went so well. I was asked questions by two people (the Principal and the Co-Ordinator) in very comfy chairs with a coffee table between us. Felt very relaxed straight away and hence did very well in the interview. I think sometimes the people interviewing can make the process a whole lot easier on the applicants.

Say you were involved in running a training camp for boy scouts or a camp for young people. Haven't tried using this myself, but it shows that you have leadership skills - if the guy interviewing you is a real nerd he'll appreciate it.

donunt say boy scouts brother they will think you are a pedo

if the guy interviewing is a nerd he probably got molested by his scout leader and will make you pay by not giving you the job

You just need to be relaxed, confident and passionate about what it is you are being interviewed for. I'm 2/2 from job interviews.. I walk in, shake everyone's hand, sit down and just have a chat like we are friends. They ask questions, I ask questions, we joke around, I show I'm really interested in the job... So far it has worked perfectly.

Confidence. Interviewers will at times make the actual interview a little "uncomfortable" for the person being interviewed; I suspect that it gives them an indication as to how the person will handle the pressures of a working enviroment. I prefer a more relaxed approach; to make the person feel confortable in the surroundings gives you a better insight into the actual person that you are interviewing.
Just be ready for that wonderful question "What can you offer this company" question that always seems to be asked, and seems to catch alot of people out.
Hope that helps a little.

I've had a fair bit of experience in this sort of field for someone who's only 22. I worked for 5 years for a Job Network Agency (started part time when i was only 16), sitting on the interviewers side of the desk. Its all about confidence. The interviewer always makes sure they have the position of power. Make sure that you prepare yourself - think about all the common questions that may be asked, prepare detailed answers, but make sure that it sounds 'off-the-cuff' when you actually go to the interview.

First impressions count enourmously, make sure that you are well dressed, even if it is a small company. Often it's the first impression that costs you in an interview. If you make a bad first impression, it doesnt matter how well you do in the interview, they can't get past the bad impression that you made.

In terms of the other side of the desk - again, its all about confidence. Make sure that you feel relaxed when you go in for the interview. The best way to do that is to prepare thoroughly. When i went for the interview for my current position, I made sure that I did research on the style of questions that they may ask me (I can't stress enough how important research is). The most important thing I can stress is KNOW THE COMPANY. The most important interview question is often the first question (usually - what can you tell me about our company?).

I like to drag interviews on. The longer the better. I want to try and strech one out to 2 hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back