Jobe Watson's leadership in this saga

Remove this Banner Ad

rose jam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In my view he completely and utterly failed.

I've heard all these plaudits for they way he conducted himself in the post decision interview yesterday, but I'm not falling for it.

Jobe was being jabbed up in 2012 and did not tell anyone. Not his partner, not his family, not the AFLPA, and not even his player manager. He told no one. He kept it quiet.
Jobe had the responsibility as player leader to follow the training on drugs and get written authorised consent of everything he was taking from his club doctor. Again he failed.
Yesterday he and the players stayed away from the club and it's officials hauled up in a pub waiting for the findings, presumably because if it went bad they were going diss on the club. So much for unity with your coach and you club players.
And the worst thing, in his presser all he talked about was how he and the players have had it tough for 2 years. Not once did he apologise for the behaviour of himself and the players for not following the correct process that would have ensured this never happened in the first place.

As a leader you have the responsibility to put your own needs last. Jobe failed on every front to take responsibility for the players significant part in accepting an injection regime and hiding behind coach and administrators.
Do you really think leaders like Hodge, Jon Brown, Nick Maxwell, Sam Mitchell, etc would just let themselves and their team mates get jabbed continuously without even telling their player managers or their families?
No they wouldn't.

Jobe should be publicly smashed for his part in this but alas the media is all to soft on the EFC players who play victim in all this when they were strongly to blame for allowing themselves to be experimented on when they've had multiple training sessions and reminders that your club doctor gives you written consent and records of what you are taking and why. And to top it off, to keep it a secret from everyone in your life demonstrates that he and the players knew it was wrong.

You could be right. It's interesting either way you look at it.

Especially because Zaharakis seemed to be one of the few to say "no thanks".

I think until the players and people start talking about the issue like Mark Thompson did back in late 2013 on footy classified then nobody really knows why things happened.

Perhaps he just trusted the processes put in place.

You also have to come to the conclusion of, was anything banned actually used. If no, then there is no issue.

This is where I'm shocked that after two years the whole comfortable satisfaction issue seems very strange.

Last edited:
You could be right. It's interesting either way you look at it.

Especially because Zaharakis seemed to be one of the few to say "no thanks".

I think until the players and people start talking about the issue like Mark Thompson did back in late 2013 on footy classified then nobody really knows,
I like Thompson on 360 tonight who admits that he obviously didn't do enough and should have. Good on him. But it's strange that he only now says that when he's out of the EFC environment.

I like Thompson on 360 tonight who admits that he obviously didn't do enough and should have. Good on him. But it's strange that he only now says that when he's out of the EFC environment.

He also said that back in 2013 on footy classified. He let it all out on that occasion, one of the few who have spoken.

He'll get lauded for his leadership - so brave - over the past two years, but when it was really needed in 2012 it was severely missing. I'm sure he has learnt a lot about leadership the past two years but let's not call him a great leader.
I don't think he has or he would done the following;

1) been with the club leadership yesterday when the announcement was made and not in a pub waiting to distance himself at an u favourable verdict
2) apolgised yesterday for his role in this mess which is considerable

Leadership is tough, that's why there's very few good ones, Jobe isn't even getting better at it. He's sure good at telling us how he feels, well that's nice, but it's not leadership.

Well articulated OP Rose Jam.

The points you make are true but there's something about Jobe that, to me, makes him seem younger than his 30 years and quite different to the other leaders you mention (Jono Brown, Hodge, Maxwell). He seems more of an introvert and maybe having Hird in the mix (whom he would've idolised from up close as a child) & being the son of a favourite son has made him trust the club blindly? Obviously not an excuse for what happened and the lack of leadership/seeking clarification/transparency/basic compliance when it mattered.

From memory he was a relatively new Captain at the time and having a standout year individually - perhaps the subterfuge and lack of process felt worth it at the time? What better than a Brownlow to prove you're there in your own right and not due to your father?

Anyway, just my rambling reflections! To me Jobe seems highly likeable & upstanding, but (understandably?) a little emotionally insecure & an on field leader rather than an off field one.

Would love him on my team if his blood didn't run black & red.

You have never been in the AFL system, nor have you given up sacrifices to make it as one of less than 1% of the male population into an elite sport environment.

When you have/do, then come back and let us know the sacrifices and dedications you make to "make it".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's really quite simple.
Jobe Watson has put up with more s**t in the last 2 years than anyone could reasonably expect to put
Up with in 10 of them. In that time he has shown resilience, restraint, leadership, responsibility and been the glue that has held the team together. Not just the team in fact, but the friends, families of the teams, members and fans. That is a hell of a lot of responsibility for a 28 year old to shoulder and he has done it ALL with class.
You don't want a 'juvenile' response, cut the sanctimonious crap and show some damn respect for the guy.

In my view he completely and utterly failed.

I've heard all these plaudits for they way he conducted himself in the post decision interview yesterday, but I'm not falling for it.

Jobe was being jabbed up in 2012 and did not tell anyone. Not his partner, not his family, not the AFLPA, and not even his player manager. He told no one. He kept it quiet.
Jobe had the responsibility as player leader to follow the training on drugs and get written authorised consent of everything he was taking from his club doctor. Again he failed.
Yesterday he and the players stayed away from the club and it's officials hauled up in a pub waiting for the findings, presumably because if it went bad they were going diss on the club. So much for unity with your coach and you club players.
And the worst thing, in his presser all he talked about was how he and the players have had it tough for 2 years. Not once did he apologise for the behaviour of himself and the players for not following the correct process that would have ensured this never happened in the first place.

As a leader you have the responsibility to put your own needs last. Jobe failed on every front to take responsibility for the players significant part in accepting an injection regime and hiding behind coach and administrators.
Do you really think leaders like Hodge, Jon Brown, Nick Maxwell, Sam Mitchell, etc would just let themselves and their team mates get jabbed continuously without even telling their player managers or their families?
No they wouldn't.

Jobe should be publicly smashed for his part in this but alas the media is all to soft on the EFC players who play victim in all this when they were strongly to blame for allowing themselves to be experimented on when they've had multiple training sessions and reminders that your club doctor gives you written consent and records of what you are taking and why. And to top it off, to keep it a secret from everyone in your life demonstrates that he and the players knew it was wrong.
His dad was in the middle of all this s**t, and has escaped any of the blow torch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jobe Watson has put up with more s**t in the last 2 years than anyone could reasonably expect to put
Up with in 10 of them. In that time he has shown resilience, restraint, leadership, responsibility and been the glue that has held the team together. Not just the team in fact, but the friends, families of the teams, members and fans. That is a hell of a lot of responsibility for a 28 year old to shoulder and he has done it ALL with class.
You don't want a 'juvenile' response, cut the sanctimonious crap and show some damn respect for the guy.

I don't respect self confessed dopers

Practically boasted about taking a banned drug (AOD) in the knowledge that he wasn't going to be prosecuted over it. Frankly it came across as false bravado rather than leadership.

Ok, good to see that you've outed yourself as an idiot.

Likewise. The guy is a doper and a cheat. He has not been vindicated but has managed, at least for the time being, to escape sanction on a technicality.

The fact that he had to put up with the so called s**t was because his club failed him and the other players. I'm sick of reading about the stress and pressure the poor players have been under. Their club failed them,the problems they have faced have been the fault of no one else. I cannot believe that the captain and a senior player at that, did not question what was being done to his teammates. He is at fault because he did not do so. I have no sympathy for him at all. In my eyes he will always be a cheat.

Likewise. The guy is a doper and a cheat. He has not been vindicated but has managed, at least for the time being, to escape sanction on a technicality.
All he had to do is get in front of the camera and tell the world he failed to stop this when he knew it wasn't right, but when the time came again it didn't even register that he should have done it.
Seems this whole saga has taught the club nothing.

Jobe Watson's leadership since self reporting took place has been top class.

Between Dank starting & leaving not so much but I'm sure he too was blinded by the cult of Hird and bamboozled by Dank. I think he underestimated the power he could have wielded to stop it.

Sorry , wasn't it Jobe, in his third year as captain, who allowed his players to cross over the road to be jabbed by substances unknown but obviously not Thymosin beta 4?

Wasn't it Jobe who didn't baulk at players taking the unknown Mexican drug at the discredited shonk Malcolm Hooper "Hyperbaric Chamber" allegedly?

Any captain that was worth his salt would have complained and stood up for the players at the start of this however if you feel that Captain Snooze is a dead set legend then fair play to you. He certainly isn't in the mould of Captain Lawrence Oates, Weary Dunlop or Albert Jacka.

It's what he did- or didn't do- in 2012 that concerns us. Where was his leadership then when players were receiving large numbers of injections of unknown substances?

Sorry , wasn't it Jobe, in his third year as captain, who allowed his players to cross over the road to be jabbed by substances unknown but obviously not Thymosin beta 4?

Wasn't it Jobe who didn't baulk at players taking the unknown Mexican drug at the discredited shonk Malcolm Hooper "Hyperbaric Chamber" allegedly?

Any captain that was worth his salt would have complained and stood up for the players at the start of this however if you feel that Captain Snooze is a dead set legend then fair play to you. He certainly isn't in the mould of Captain Lawrence Oates, Weary Dunlop or Albert Jacka.

Caro? That you??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back