Jobe Watson's leadership in this saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really think leaders like Hodge, Jon Brown, Nick Maxwell, Sam Mitchell, etc would just let themselves and their team mates get jabbed continuously without even telling their player managers or their families?
simple question: YES. yes with an exclamation mark! this is why Jobe gets all the platitudes for his pin cushion leadership. cyclists have done it for decades, it required someone from the old testament to lead the way, and that was good leadership.

ok, next question. make it a little more hard next time pls

He answered a question. Next time he should lie.
not so fast

was the limited hangout. dont think he was not getting advice from lukin to go on the front foot and they would have his back
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_hangout
A limited hangout, or partial hangout, is a public relations or propaganda technique that involves the release of previously hidden information in order to prevent a greater exposure of more important details.[citation needed]

It takes the form of deception, misdirection, or coverup often associated with intelligence agencies involving a release or "mea culpa" type of confession of only part of a set of previously hidden sensitive information, that establishes credibility for the one releasing the information who by the very act of confession appears to be "coming clean" and acting with integrity; but in actuality, by withholding key facts, is protecting a deeper operation and those who could be exposed if the whole truth came out.[citation needed] In effect, if an array of offenses or misdeeds is suspected, this confession admits to a lesser offense while covering up the greater ones.[citation needed]

A limited hangout typically is a response to lower the pressure felt from inquisitive investigators pursuing clues that threaten to expose everything, and the disclosure is often combined with red herrings or propaganda elements that lead to false trails, distractions, or ideological disinformation; thus allowing covert or criminal elements to continue in their improper activities.[citation needed]

I would have thought a leader would have stood up to his club and defended his teammates following being jabbed with "unknown" drugs. Instead he meekly tows the party line and resumes business as usual despite the actual issue being unresolved. Perhaps Jobe was more concerned about his bank account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heppell did exactly the same thing on the footy show in 2013, funny nobody remembers that.
I dont mind them going on the front foot and refuting allegations that they are cheats. as we have seen, no one in the AFL has broken ranks. Sydney's Ryan OKeefe is the exception that proves the rule. These are pro athletes, they do what is expected of pro athletes, and that is, sublimate all agency and autonomy to be the automaton on Saturday and perform. nothing. else. matters.

The other players know it. They won't hold it against them. Malthouse will call Milne a rapist, but he wont call Jobe a cheat and a doper, because Mike and Buttifant well know from experience, how you make those sausages.

a bit of Vince Lombardy
a bit of dope
a bit of Blitzkreig
a bit of Sir John Monash

bingo, you play an affal gran final.

I dont mind them going on the front foot and refuting allegations that they are cheats. as we have seen, no one in the AFL has broken ranks. Sydney's Ryan OKeefe is the exception that proves the rule. These are pro athletes, they do what is expected of pro athletes, and that is, sublimate all agency and autonomy to be the automaton on Saturday and perform. nothing. else. matters.

The other players know it. They won't hold it against them. Malthouse will call Milne a rapist, but he wont call Jobe a cheat and a doper, because Mike and Buttifant well know from experience, how you make those sausages.

a bit of Vince Lombardy
a bit of dope
a bit of Blitzkreig
a bit of Sir John Monash

bingo, you play an affal gran final.

To be honest, I think you get a little too carried away with yourself most of the time.

To be honest, I think you get a little too carried away with yourself most of the time.
but, I am transparent, like Donald Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns, and known unknowns.

I dont think we can know, the best we can do is speculation.

how can I inform, or educate my speculation.

knowing, from an OUTSIDER pov, doping and PEDs and pro sport. Knowing the literature of some of the academics in the field. If Economics is the dull science, PEDs and doping is the scientific blackhole.

knowing what other professional sport leagues and tournaments and managerial regimes go thru, and what happens when athletes transgress testing in alternate leagues.

and thus I produce an opinion, and one which has been closer than most on here.

most important, it is all underscored by as much humour as possible. you need to inform the funny, cos the caper is absurd. too absurd to take it seriously, but a rich seam to mine for the laffs

:rolleyes:

The club let the players down, not Jobe. Next the supporters will be to blame because they want a flag.

He appeared on TV bold as brass, knowing he was going to be asked. It was PR for the club: "We took AOD and we're not afraid of going down. Ergo, we've done nothing wrong."

Fairly pessimistic way of looking at it, I think. The public had been screaming for someone to come out and actually say something of note, and the guy came out and told the truth and was lambasted for it.

If he hadn't done the interview, he'd have been lumped in as a coward and the question of when someone would actually talk about it would've continued.

The whole thing, from start to finish, is a cant win from both sides.

Fairly pessimistic way of looking at it, I think. The public had been screaming for someone to come out and actually say something of note, and the guy came out and told the truth and was lambasted for it.

If he hadn't done the interview, he'd have been lumped in as a coward and the question of when someone would actually talk about it would've continued.

The whole thing, from start to finish, is a cant win from both sides.

If he'd said "We did not take TB4", or even if he'd said "We took TB4", it would've been credible. But of all the drugs it was known were injected into the players by that stage, he was only asked about AOD. Obviously the questions were scripted, or at least agreed to beforehand.

Agree with the last bit.

He'll get lauded for his leadership - so brave - over the past two years, but when it was really needed in 2012 it was severely missing. I'm sure he has learnt a lot about leadership the past two years but let's not call him a great leader.

Yes such poor leadership in 2012 when he was voted the best captain in the AFL by his peers you muppet

If he'd said "We did not take TB4", or even if he'd said "We took TB4", it would've been credible. But of all the drugs it was known were injected into the players by that stage, he was only asked about AOD. Obviously the questions were scripted, or at least agreed to beforehand.

Agree with the last bit.

I see where you're coming from, but TB4 was the buzz of 2014. Back in the first 6 months, everything in the media was centred around AOD, and remained that way for a good long time until word got out that they definitely weren't pursuing for it. Since then, it's all been about TB4.

Questions would definitely have been agreed to, and at the time, AOD was the centre of the scandal in the media, so they asked, and he answered.

With so much happening since, people tend to forget what the news was at that stage. They asked what, at the time, was the big question people were asking, and Jobe answered openly and honestly.

I definitely concede it may have gone differently if he didn't already had a good idea they wouldn't be punished for using AOD, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back