Jobe Watson's leadership in this saga

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I see where you're coming from, but TB4 was the buzz of 2014. Back in the first 6 months, everything in the media was centred around AOD, and remained that way for a good long time until word got out that they definitely weren't pursuing for it. Since then, it's all been about TB4.

Questions would definitely have been agreed to, and at the time, AOD was the centre of the scandal in the media, so they asked, and he answered.

With so much happening since, people tend to forget what the news was at that stage. They asked what, at the time, was the big question people were asking, and Jobe answered openly.

Yes, I agree with all of that. However his purpose for doing the interview was to announce (unashamedly) that he'd used AOD, whether of his own volition or (more likely) at the behest of the club. IIRC he answered the other questions very, very carefully.

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes, I agree with all of that. However his purpose for doing the interview was to announce (unashamedly) that he'd used AOD, whether of his own volition or (more likely) at the behest of the club.
Probably, but nonetheless, it was a major point of the whole scandal, and was better said than silence.

He's taken bullets ever since for that interview, but I think everyone prefers that he did it.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
He has clearly realised he's going the way of his old man hairline wise, and has taken preventative measures with his styling over summer. He aged about 10 years last summer, and wound the clock back 10 this one.
Perhaps he can talk to his old sport scientist. He has a anti aging clinic

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Probably, but nonetheless, it was a major point of the whole scandal, and was better said than silence.

He's taken bullets ever since for that interview, but I think everyone prefers that he did it.

Think it's largely been forgotten in the scheme of things. All in all I don't think he's a bad person, nor a hero.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I have no doubt Jobe was at the fore front when the program was being dreamt up, Hird would have consulted with his captain before agreeing to go after that 'edge' Jobe led his young players into a systemarmatic injecting regime. A good leader would have put a stop to it at the start.

I have sympathy for the first and 2nd year players who are young and impresionable, but for Watson and Fletcher to be getting plaudits for leadership makes me sick.

Last edited:

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In my view he completely and utterly failed.

I've heard all these plaudits for they way he conducted himself in the post decision interview yesterday, but I'm not falling for it.

Jobe was being jabbed up in 2012 and did not tell anyone. Not his partner, not his family, not the AFLPA, and not even his player manager. He told no one. He kept it quiet.
Jobe had the responsibility as player leader to follow the training on drugs and get written authorised consent of everything he was taking from his club doctor. Again he failed.
Yesterday he and the players stayed away from the club and it's officials hauled up in a pub waiting for the findings, presumably because if it went bad they were going diss on the club. So much for unity with your coach and you club players.
And the worst thing, in his presser all he talked about was how he and the players have had it tough for 2 years. Not once did he apologise for the behaviour of himself and the players for not following the correct process that would have ensured this never happened in the first place.

As a leader you have the responsibility to put your own needs last. Jobe failed on every front to take responsibility for the players significant part in accepting an injection regime and hiding behind coach and administrators.
Do you really think leaders like Hodge, Jon Brown, Nick Maxwell, Sam Mitchell, etc would just let themselves and their team mates get jabbed continuously without even telling their player managers or their families?
No they wouldn't.

Jobe should be publicly smashed for his part in this but alas the media is all to soft on the EFC players who play victim in all this when they were strongly to blame for allowing themselves to be experimented on when they've had multiple training sessions and reminders that your club doctor gives you written consent and records of what you are taking and why. And to top it off, to keep it a secret from everyone in your life demonstrates that he and the players knew it was wrong.

Watson has kept the playing group united in exceptionally trying circumstances - that is in itself an achievement. The fact he has done so with a level of honesty and dignity distinguishes him from literally every other key figure in this mess.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Can someone give me a tldr on this thread about the glorious man the 2012 Brownlow medal winner?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Think Jobe has been good actually and got better as it went along. Happy he will keep his Brownlow.

Hes certainly grown through the issue and we are still to see the result of their obvious show of appearing in civvies and away fom the club.

Watson also has a rebellious streak you ant help but like.

The players probably have formed the opinion that most of us have, but are relieved that his is probaly the best outcome they could hope for. They will never be exhonorated and could easily share the fate of other sports people who have been anned on technicalities.

What did they ay on the blackest day ? Co operate fully and you will have an easier time ? Looks like that is what happened

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes such poor leadership in 2012 when he was voted the best captain in the AFL by his peers you muppet

That was for his on-field performance. Pretty much any captain who wins a Brownlow would win that award. Of course other captains were not aware of his off-field failures when voting on that.

Jobe was being jabbed up in 2012 and did not tell anyone. Not his partner, not his family, not the AFLPA, and not even his player manager. He told no one. He kept it quiet.

He didn't? You've spoken to all of the above and they've confirmed it?

Or is this just another bullshit "HTB fact"?

expires

Club Legend
May 20, 2014
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
In my view he completely and utterly failed.

I've heard all these plaudits for they way he conducted himself in the post decision interview yesterday, but I'm not falling for it.

Jobe had the responsibility as player leader to follow the training on drugs and get written authorised consent of everything he was taking from his club doctor. Again he failed.
Yesterday he and the players stayed away from the club and it's officials hauled up in a pub waiting for the findings, presumably because if it went bad they were going diss on the club. So much for unity with your coach and you club players.
And the worst thing, in his presser all he talked about was how he and the players have had it tough for 2 years. Not once did he apologise for the behaviour of himself and the players for not following the correct process that would have ensured this never happened in the first place.

As a leader you have the responsibility to put your own needs last. Jobe failed on every front to take responsibility for the players significant part in accepting an injection regime and hiding behind coach and administrators.
Do you really think leaders like Hodge, Jon Brown, Nick Maxwell, Sam Mitchell, etc would just let themselves and their team mates get jabbed continuously without even telling their player managers or their families?
No they wouldn't.

Jobe should be publicly smashed for his part in this but alas the media is all to soft on the EFC players who play victim in all this when they were strongly to blame for allowing themselves to be experimented on when they've had multiple training sessions and reminders that your club doctor gives you written consent and records of what you are taking and why. And to top it off, to keep it a secret from everyone in your life demonstrates that he and the players knew it was wrong.

Think they would have if the coach had laid down the touchstones the program had to meet (as Hird did). The story is the criteria wasn't met and that hasn't much to do with Jobe's role in the program. The idea that Jobe went ahead with the program without considering the rights and wrongs of where the club was going is disingenous.

Moquo

Hall of Farmer
Jun 10, 2005
Sexyland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
suck arse
Watson has kept the playing group united in exceptionally trying circumstances - that is in itself an achievement. The fact he has done so with a level of honesty and dignity distinguishes him from literally every other key figure in this mess.

I'm inclined to agree with that. Without knowing exactly what went on I can only conclude that Jobe appears to have performed admirably. Though I still think it was him that rang MMM as Sarah for a s**t stir.

Ultimatt

Team Captain
Jul 28, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Leadership? He was either complicit or a coward during the doping program. He waited until a not guilty verdict to say the players had a right to be angry at the club, until then he played along like their puppet. The players he leads don't come out of this looking good and the fans of 17 clubs will show that this season starting this weekend.

yeahmate

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2006
Here
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I like him and think hes done a fine job through very difficult circumstances. Its a pity that there will always be a cloud over his medal and career because of this.

rose jam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Patting your team mates on the backside and saying " don't worry boys it'll be OK we've been assured its all good. Train hard"
If rhat is leadership then I've had the wrong mentors in life. Leaders I've known would stand up, admit their failings and step aside on a failing as complete as his.

2one2

Premiership Player
May 30, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
The day the EFC story broke:
Collingwood captain Nick Maxwell also said on Wednesday that players would now be more likely to question supplements they are given.

"These guys are experts in their field, and I know that all they want is the best for me as a player, but also for me to perform at the football club," Maxwell told SEN radio.

"There's probably going to be a lot more players asking questions when they are given these things."
Hindsight courage. Post Hoc leadership. An example to young men.

Last edited:
Back