Jobeism

Remove this Banner Ad

In Jobe's defence I think it is hereditary. Like I'm sure while the players were warming-up before the bounce of the 98 GF, the commentary are going through the North players and I think Tim was trying to compliment a player's footy IQ (maybe King) and say he is one of the playing group that Pagan listens to, but what he actually said was "He is one of the players the coach gives his head to".

That's how I remember it anyway. Wife's a Crows fan, still have that game somewhere on VHS (longplay) but haven't had anything that could play it for years (not since upgrading to Betamax). Can a Crows fan with it on DVD confirm?

Any reason Daisy Pearce doesn't get more gigs? Surprising given the attempts at gender diversity these days. Intelligent, articulate and knows her footy, would much prefer her to most on ch7.

Because female voices have no place in live broadcasts of football.

Their tone grates at the viewers nervous system.

I hope he commentates the AFL grand final so it triggers the whole footy world!

Because female voices have no place in live broadcasts of football.

Their tone grates at the viewers nervous system.

Kelli Underwood commentating is still horrible to listen to, albeit she's better than she once was. I don't mind Daisy as special comments though, she's certainly no worse than all the other ex-AFL players we see doing it.

That said, most of the commentators are terrible these days. The best ones are the guys that have been doing VFL until recently as they call the play and stay out of the peripheral nonsense and shouting like BT and co.

Kelli Underwood commentating is still horrible to listen to, albeit she's better than she once was. I don't mind Daisy as special comments though, she's certainly no worse than all the other ex-AFL players we see doing it.

That said, most of the commentators are terrible these days. The best ones are the guys that have been doing VFL until recently as they call the play and stay out of the peripheral nonsense and shouting like BT and co.

BT is a legend broadcaster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shai Bolton took what was probably the most visually spectacular grab of the last 20 years tonight and 7’s commentating team made it sound like a routine chest mark. Within 3 seconds it cut to Wayne Carey sounding like Microsoft Sam. ‘He was there for a while’.
When it comes to misrepresentation, your assessment might be worse than Carey’s. It was a good speccy - but it’s hardly much different to what Howe and Ryan do regularly.

If Shai had pulled down that one-hander last week... it’d be in the conversation. Bolton does look to have an amazing leap though. He will probably take a better mark before the year is out.

When it comes to misrepresentation, your assessment might be worse than Carey’s. It was a good speccy - but it’s hardly much different to what Howe and Ryan do regularly.

If Shai had pulled down that one-hander last week... it’d be in the conversation. Bolton does look to have an amazing leap though. He will probably take a better mark before the year is out.

Yeah I thought it was a bit meh to be honest.

Won’t be showing replays of that next year.

Shai Bolton took what was probably the most visually spectacular grab of the last 20 years tonight and 7’s commentating team made it sound like a routine chest mark. Within 3 seconds it cut to Wayne Carey sounding like Microsoft Sam. ‘He was there for a while’.

It was an absolute ripper and better than some MOTYs I've seen. BT imbued it with all the atmosphere of a funeral.

Any reason Daisy Pearce doesn't get more gigs? Surprising given the attempts at gender diversity these days. Intelligent, articulate and knows her footy, would much prefer her to most on ch7.

She's a shocker. Very dull. I don't mind Abbey now after a slow start. Seems to have a bit more personality than daisy

seven seem to routinely offer rubbish, unenthusiastic commentary of key comments

case in point, Dusty's 4th in the 2020 GF

Whateley (SEN) : "The dynasty is before us. It's Richmond's crowning glory. It is greatness for everyone else to chase."

McAvaney (7) : "oooh he has"

Ch 7 and Fox could do a lot worse than going after some quality radio commentators, whose job is to paint a picture of the action for the listeners. By necessity, they literally call the action and the very best add a bit of flourish such as the Whateley example above.

seven seem to routinely offer rubbish, unenthusiastic commentary of key comments

case in point, Dusty's 4th in the 2020 GF

Whateley (SEN) : "The dynasty is before us. It's Richmond's crowning glory. It is greatness for everyone else to chase."

McAvaney (7) : "oooh he has"

There was a distinct decline in quality with Bruce's commentary when 7 got the rights back all those years ago. Another moment which sticks out is Buddy's running goal vs Adelaide in 2017. Fantastic individual effort, as soon as the ball sailed through the goals all Bruce said was "Oh, Dennis(Cometti), where are you, we need you Dennis".... Completely took away the focus of the goal and moment.

The 7 coverage has generally beeninsufferable in recent years, now not helped by Jobe continually butchering what he is saying. Jobe's not any more or less offensive then some of the others there though (Ling stating the bleeding obvious and BT clowning around making it all about him) which sums up how s**t the coverage is now compared to 20-30 years ago. He's far from a legit goof, but some arent cut out for commentary and the nuances that come with it and Jobe is one of those.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back