Tertiary and Continuing Jobs in Real Estate

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I'm currently looking for a career change(presently a primary school teacher). I am quite interested in the real estate industry. What qualifications do I need and what is the job market like for real estate agents? Also any pros and cons of being a real estate agent?

I tried this last year but turned out to be a mistake. Its quite easy to get into here you just do a 2 week course to get a license and then its a case of finding someone to employ you.

The problem is if you don't sell you dont make money. I was unlucky that the market completely died over here just after I went into it. I started off ok but then got a psycho owner and it all went downhill after that. I found it quite interesting and the free time was good just the unknown with income is a bit of a downer.

From friends I have doing it some love it, some hate it, I guess it just depends on the type of person you are. If you don't have a family to support or a big mortgage you might as well give it a try.

It'll require that you take a ~50% pay cut, work on Saturday mornings, have minimal job security and therefore high stress levels but the potential upside is quite good.

If you have job security at the moment, i wouldnt be jumping ship. Property sales are at a low point (I think i read somewhere that melbourne land sales are at their lowest point in 7 years). Its a tough job, and even harder to succeed in a tough market.

For what its worth, I'd stick with what you know for a few years, save as much as you can so you have some financial security (for if this plan fails), then when the market shows signs of a revival, jump into it. (that being said, if you have times over a school holiday break, try and do the course in that time - i think you can do it in 2 weeks)

I'd love to hear opinions of anyone currently or recently working in real estate. Any tips? Any pitfalls? What advice would you give to a new starter in the industry? I have just passed my Agent's Representative course in Victoria. Any advice for employment? Thanks in advance.

I'd love to hear opinions of anyone currently or recently working in real estate. Any tips? Any pitfalls? What advice would you give to a new starter in the industry? I have just passed my Agent's Representative course in Victoria. Any advice for employment? Thanks in advance.
Sorry mate can't give any info, just wondering how hard the Agents rep course was and what it entails?
After 10 years landscaping I'm looking at a career change.

Sorry mate can't give any info, just wondering how hard the Agents rep course was and what it entails?
After 10 years landscaping I'm looking at a career change.

I did my course through the Real Estate Institute of Victoria (REIV).

The Agent's Rep course isn't too bad. Depends on whether you want to just get the pass or whether you want to learn it well as to how seriously you take it, how long it will take you to complete, your study modes etc. A fair bit of reading, you'll need to find the relevant legislation and interpret it so it can be time consuming in that regard. Unless you're prepared with the reading, it makes the assessments tougher. I read the relevant units once, highlighted points, legislation etc before I attempted the assessments.

You can do it online or face to face. I did it online but would have preferred the face to face course. Though as it was done through work, I had to do it online and they send you the study guides by post. http://www.reiv.com.au/Training/Agents-Representative-Course

I've heard the industry is pretty cut throat, so it will be interesting to see whether I end up working in the field and how I get on.
Real estate sales jobs are sales, sales, sales so be prepared to sell or get sacked. I've heard the churn is pretty high due to the money, hours can be long, hard and irregular.

I've heard that a large part of the role may be cold calling, door to door prospecting and letterbox drops, so whilst parts may be glamorous, plenty of it won't be, so be prepared to do everything and be enthusiastic about it.

There is plenty more study to be done later to gain a full real estate licence but at least the agent's rep course will give you a sniff. Even better, can you find a role within an agency that will sponsor you to do the course (that would be harder to find though).

I tried this last year but turned out to be a mistake. Its quite easy to get into here you just do a 2 week course to get a license and then its a case of finding someone to employ you.

The problem is if you don't sell you dont make money. I was unlucky that the market completely died over here just after I went into it. I started off ok but then got a psycho owner and it all went downhill after that. I found it quite interesting and the free time was good just the unknown with income is a bit of a downer.

What sort of base salary did you get?

What sort of base salary did you get?
This is a blast from the past. I didn't get a base salary with the place I worked at. It varies depending on where you go. The only reason I worked there was because it was close to home and it was where my lecturer worked so she got me in.

I did my course through the Real Estate Institute of Victoria (REIV).

The Agent's Rep course isn't too bad. Depends on whether you want to just get the pass or whether you want to learn it well as to how seriously you take it, how long it will take you to complete, your study modes etc. A fair bit of reading, you'll need to find the relevant legislation and interpret it so it can be time consuming in that regard. Unless you're prepared with the reading, it makes the assessments tougher. I read the relevant units once, highlighted points, legislation etc before I attempted the assessments.

You can do it online or face to face. I did it online but would have preferred the face to face course. Though as it was done through work, I had to do it online and they send you the study guides by post. http://www.reiv.com.au/Training/Agents-Representative-Course

I've heard the industry is pretty cut throat, so it will be interesting to see whether I end up working in the field and how I get on.
Real estate sales jobs are sales, sales, sales so be prepared to sell or get sacked. I've heard the churn is pretty high due to the money, hours can be long, hard and irregular.

I've heard that a large part of the role may be cold calling, door to door prospecting and letterbox drops, so whilst parts may be glamorous, plenty of it won't be, so be prepared to do everything and be enthusiastic about it.

There is plenty more study to be done later to gain a full real estate licence but at least the agent's rep course will give you a sniff. Even better, can you find a role within an agency that will sponsor you to do the course (that would be harder to find though).
Cool thanks buddy.
Yeh my folks owned a few offices for about 15 years so I got to witness 1st hand the ins & outs. Can be a pretty demanding job but also a rewarding one. Best of luck mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back