Delisted Jock Cornell (2016-2016)

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm a big fan of Jock. While he has probably made his name in the forward half, during the limited times he ran through the middle for NSW, he really impressed me at the stoppages. He was involved in some clean, sharp clearances and looked calm in tight. I'm not sure of his endurance, but he has some tools to develop into a prolific big bodied midfielder. His overhead ability would also make him very dangerous around the ground on smaller opponents. I would have happily picked him in the ND to be honest. Bargain.

Not sure if its factual , but I seem to be getting the vibe we have added to our contested ball types considerably . He has that rough edged durability look. Hopefully someone that will only improve with work , rather than a highly polished type that is a bit frail

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I like Cornell but not sure how ready he is, he is still an 18 year old coming from the NEAFL so hard to tell how round 1 ready he is. I assume we will use the 2 nominated rookies as if you don't nominate them by round 1 you don't get anymore elevations until round 12 (aside from LTIs) so you may as well use them or lose them.
I agree it hard to really tell but after not seeing a lot of him before we drafted , he is one that has something that sort of appeals to me. I look forward to seeing him live. Some have said he is a good kick..yet the highlights package really on show him long bombing it. Its his around the ball work , spacial awareness perhaps... he gives hints of being a good pickup

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I foresee that we'll get this kid good enough to play AFL, will play a few games but won't be secure in the side because of incumbent personnel, then he'll request a trade to Essendon and dominate. :eek:

well thats always likely if your main side is strong...all id say is if a player not drafted in the main draft...can then be developed to the point of value where he is worth much more, its a job well done. One example is when we used Moloney to get Ottens.

So who knows , perhaps if your prognostication occurs..we can swing an early pick or perhaps a good player coming back.

But we putting cart before the horse... we have vacancies coming up.. who knows he could be another Gregson and be secure in our best 25 in two years time.

LifeSpan-Void

So, you’re leaving.
Jun 7, 2005
The belly of a snake
AFL Club
Geelong
well thats always likely if your main side is strong...all id say is if a player not drafted in the main draft...can then be developed to the point of value where he is worth much more, its a job well done. One example is when we used Moloney to get Ottens.

So who knows , perhaps if your prognostication occurs..we can swing an early pick or perhaps a good player coming back.

But we putting cart before the horse... we have vacancies coming up.. who knows he could be another Gregson and be secure in our best 25 in two years time.
For sure, I was being mildly facetious about him :)

Some say Stropp will be his nickname...i'm sure he has been call strap before.

I have already got him down for Strop.
A pity that Hogan is still not a the club in some capacity.

Then we would have had the whole trio.

682903-43ac7846-4d92-11e3-9491-1affab8972a4.jpg

samsong

Debutant
Aug 16, 2008
Ballarat
AFL Club
Geelong
Big hopes for Jock, looks a great pickup
A long time coach (40+ years) of St Pats Ballarat football once said to me. "It's not the sons of the champion players to look out for, it's their nephews" Although i think there would be a few exceptions to this rule at the cattery.

Him and Gardner probably excite me the most out of the 7 kittens. Might even be on the senior list if we promote two as allowed, Bates? Read? Lucey? The two big boys would be long shots at promotion. Delaney is in rehab, parsons is too. Ruggles may be his only competition.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Him and Gardner probably excite me the most out of the 7 kittens. Might even be on the senior list if we promote two as allowed, Bates? Read? Lucey? The two big boys would be long shots at promotion. Delaney is in rehab, parsons is too. Ruggles may be his only competition.

Any thoughts on "Menagola" Chook?....big bodied mid who dominated the WAFL and almost won the Sandover from 12 games played! BOG in the Granny with 30 poss's.
I think he'll play seniors, can't wait to see him in the NAB.

Gardner played on men in the TSL including ex-AFL players, so I'm thinking he'll adapt quickly to the VFL.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on "Menagola" Chook?....big bodied mid who dominated the WAFL and almost won the Sandover from 12 games played! BOG in the Granny with 30 poss's.

Gardner played on men in the TSL including ex-AFL players, so I'm thinking he'll adapt quickly to the VFL.
I'd love for menagola to be pressing hard for a spot, I think he could put alot of pressure on someone like Caddy for midfield minutes. His WAFL form certainly is exciting isn't it? Would have to start NAB 1 and see how he goes from there. I'm inclined to be more tentative in my love for mature agers, less scope for growth.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics

I must admit to overlooking him in favour of Tropiano
I was basing my assessment of Menagola largely on his form as a winger a few seasons ago. Clearly he has flourished as a mid at Subiaco with a fantastic season and great form in the Granny.
Word has it he is immaculately prepared , looks after himself diet wise and is a very hard trainer. His endurance is elite ( interesting to see how he performs at Falls Creek) and he has improved his disposal and inside game. If he can replicate his WAFL form in 2016 he could be a very valuable pick up.

I'd love for menagola to be pressing hard for a spot, I think he could put alot of pressure on someone like Caddy for midfield minutes. His WAFL form certainly is exciting isn't it? Would have to start NAB 1 and see how he goes from there. I'm inclined to be more tentative in my love for mature agers, less scope for growth.
There may be less scope for growth but at the same time they are more mature both mentally and physically. Imo Ruggles is a good chance of promotion, more so than others although not guaranteed.

If you look at it this way, at 23 why would we rookie him to just sit in the vfl when he was already in our vfl side? If that was the intention we'd have taken a punt on another 18yo in the RD. That says to me Ruggles could very well be one of the promoted rookies.

There may be less scope for growth but at the same time they are more mature both mentally and physically. Imo Ruggles is a good chance of promotion, more so than others although not guaranteed.

If you look at it this way, at 23 why would we rookie him to just sit in the vfl when he was already in our vfl side? If that was the intention we'd have taken a punt on another 18yo in the RD. That says to me Ruggles could very well be one of the promoted rookies.
Great point, what does it say about the state of our depth if we have our last pick in a rookie draft looking more likely than many of our other players?

Great point, what does it say about the state of our depth if we have our last pick in a rookie draft looking more likely than many of our other players?
Some more regular VFL watchers than I could confirm but from what I can gather Ruggles is a small defender?

Assuming that's correct it is an area in which we lack many options. Bews is good at shutting down but lacks that rebound ability and endurance. Guthrie, he's my choice alongside Boris but not many agree on here that Guthers should go back.

So that leaves Bartel and Smedts both of whom many on here bemoan their selection in defence and openly pine for them to play forward-ish next season.

Some more regular VFL watchers than I could confirm but from what I can gather Ruggles is a small defender?

Assuming that's correct it is an area in which we lack many options. Bews is good at shutting down but lacks that rebound ability and endurance. Guthrie, he's my choice alongside Boris but not many agree on here that Guthers should go back.

So that leaves Bartel and Smedts both of whom many on here bemoan their selection in defence and openly pine for them to play forward-ish next season.
Its tough to choose a camp with Guthrie. It makes sense to me for him to return to the backline, but I'd rather him in the midfield ahead of Caddy. I think cockatoo or smedts could potentially be ok down back as a small/med defender, but they need time, hard to give them time to develop when the club is trying to challenge for a flag. I really haven't seen enough of Ruggles, but it is an area we are lacking depth, but for alot of us Bews isn't a lock 22 player, and I'd rather have him than Ruggles at this stage, alot would need to go wrong or his form would need to be fantastic for it to happen I feel. Will have much better idea after NAB

Its tough to choose a camp with Guthrie. It makes sense to me for him to return to the backline, but I'd rather him in the midfield ahead of Caddy. I think cockatoo or smedts could potentially be ok down back as a small/med defender, but they need time, hard to give them time to develop when the club is trying to challenge for a flag. I really haven't seen enough of Ruggles, but it is an area we are lacking depth, but for alot of us Bews isn't a lock 22 player, and I'd rather have him than Ruggles at this stage, alot would need to go wrong or his form would need to be fantastic for it to happen I feel. Will have much better idea after NAB

Cowan an option off half back Chook?

I must admit to overlooking him in favour of Tropiano
I was basing my assessment of Menagola largely on his form as a winger a few seasons ago. Clearly he has flourished as a mid at Subiaco with a fantastic season and great form in the Granny.
Word has it he is immaculately prepared , looks after himself diet wise and is a very hard trainer. His endurance is elite ( interesting to see how he performs at Falls Creek) and he has improved his disposal and inside game. If he can replicate his WAFL form in 2016 he could be a very valuable pick up.

I'd wager that Menegola will play senior football in 2016.

Back