List Mgmt. Joe Atley, Tobin Cox, Riley Grundy, Wylie Buzza Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Ditto..the email mentioned Patmore and Frederick have been advised they are not required for the finals and therefore will cease training with the squad until list sizes and Cat B for next season has been confirmed
That seems to be specifically driven around letting them out of the AFL's COVID restrictions so that they can go about their lives normally.

Has that been confirmed 38?

Still being negotiated last I heard. A flat 38 has been speculated as has 38 + 2 rookies. Seems likely to land somewhere around there.

Squad trimmed to 38. No Rookies. With these 4 gone plus Westhoff, thats's only 5 from our current list of 45. Expect at least 5 more gone to accommodate our draft picks.

Watts, Patmore, Ebert and Frederick seem the obvious ones. Sutcliffe, Mayes, Garner not particularly safe. Bonner hopefully traded for better draft pick.

tough cuts!
mayes Garner Watts id like to keep.
38 is a deep deep cut.

Very little depth left

My guess is alot of clubs are tying up loose ends getting players off the books as quick as possible so they are no longer covered by the AFL players policy in relation to covid. There would be alot of players out there right now who know they are not getting a contract next year, what incentive do they have not to start getting out and hitting the pubs, inviting girls over etc when the clubs season isnt over but they are as much chance of a game as you or I. Clubs dont want to have to deal with that responsibility and risk fines etc so pay out the remainder of the contract and release them form their contract early.

Yeah relying on players who are no longer committed to keep up all the Covid protocols is a recipe for disaster and could derail a season.

I also suspect that the clubs now know the list sizes for 2021 (or at least a maximum number of 2 options).

Thought Tobin had potential and would of liked him to have 1 more non-COVID season to try and break into the team.

Club gave Atley heaps of time to show something more than potential. Time to get someone new in to develop

Buzza... as soon as we picked up George in the draft, he had no hope of making the team. Brought into the club and replaced within weeks.

Grundy, shame but was always going to be a long shot.

Midfielder Jake Patmore and defender Martin Frederick have been advised they will not be considered for AFL selection during finals and will therefore no longer train with the club beyond this week as the club awaits a decision on the future of list sizes and Category B rookies.

Due to the Covid financial dilemma, the AFL is asking each club to cut at least 6 or more extra players for next season on top of the normal turn over don't they?

My guess is alot of clubs are tying up loose ends getting players off the books as quick as possible so they are no longer covered by the AFL players policy in relation to covid. There would be alot of players out there right now who know they are not getting a contract next year, what incentive do they have not to start getting out and hitting the pubs, inviting girls over etc when the clubs season isnt over but they are as much chance of a game as you or I. Clubs dont want to have to deal with that responsibility and risk fines etc so pay out the remainder of the contract and release them form their contract early.

Don’t need to guess it says it in the article!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pardon the intrusion but I was wondering why a finals and genuine premiership contender would announce delistings so early in the piece. What a bizarre year. This makes so much sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was so excited when we recruited Atley; sigh.

Disappointed Grundy won't have the chance to develop, as I think he'll play good AFL football one day. I'm in the minority there though.

Give him a year in the SANFL to see if he can play. Has done nothing to suggest he can play so far.

Shame, Atley was a second round pick, thought he would become something at the time..
Cox is a weird one. At the start of this season he was compared against Robbie. Seems like a lot has happened since then.

Grundy is a strange call. Maybe we're sure a KPD is coming our way in the trade period?

Damn it we're one down on our Riley quota.

Cox is a state league player. Can mark and kick before his injury but not much more. No tank no speed to chase/harass

Atley is a salvos version of boak. Had his sidestep but nothing else. field kicking was the equivalent of john butcher set shot kicking ******* horrendous.

Buzza may have stayed on the list if we did have a state league this year and he could prove himself against men. No one knew how much of an impact Rona would have but in hindsight we should of used his spot on the list to develop another young player

Grundy is the only one that confuses me. Us signing pasini to a longish deal makes me think the defensive coaches have concluded he has a higher ceiling than grundy. Though it would of been nice to actually have someone taller than 193cms in our backline.

All in all i really dont think we have lost much;
Pasini over grundy
Williams/Bergman/woodcock have higher ceilings than cox
Atley is trash
Buzza is trash

Patmore and Frederick were also mentioned in rumours earlier today.

Maybe they've survived.

Pity about Grundy, but it wasn't a good sign when it was reported he was being tried as a forward in the scratchies. Had hopes for Atley.
The club said they will be kept on if there are list spots available depending on who we bring in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back