Play Nice Joe Daniher 2020

I can't fault a guy for wanting to extract as much value out of his career, especially when it's been so injured and AFL careers are short at the best of times.

The measure of the professional is when he rolls up to the club he is contracted to ready to put in a full effort at either rehab or building to play.

I don't see how this is so controversial.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
This is my question.
You wonder the thinking of the Essendon hierarchy in rejecting trades if he missed half the season

Milton remaining on the list this year bought them 12 months to somehow find a replacement.
Whether he actually plays much this season remains to be seen but the thought of McKernan and Stewart as the KPF’s was enough to throw the idea of cashing him in this year out the window regardless of likely unders as compensation next year ...

AjsGuns

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chelsea.
Real shame about how Danihers career has panned out, at the end of 2017 he was looking like being the #1 KPF in the game. Most exciting prospect in a long time, did a 12 month course with him before he was drafted - top bloke too, despite how his now portrayed. I hope he can return to his best, will be 26 next season so has time if he can play most of the season and build on it for 2021. Another injury or rushed back early and I don't like his chances.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
is he fully training yet? sometimes those serious OP injuries can be 12-18 months before your fully back into it

Friday was the first session back post-Christmas break, as far as I know he wasn't with the main group from the training reports.

Personally i'm sceptical about whether he'll play round 1 given we've not really seen or heard much about his progression, but that could also be the club making an effort to keep him away from the headlines and building him up quietly.

Last year showed that when he got back on the park he hadn't lost any of his athleticism, and even without running massive km's he's able to impact a game. So maybe a slower build is their plan with a return a month or two in to the season.

Back