Senior Joe Daniher (2020-)

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching these first round i think we can better understand the daniher trade to us.

Joe to Essendon and his manager - I don't want to always be the big forward. I wanna have a go at playing different positions/roles.

Essendon - you're our game winning forward Joe, you're to valuable to move.

Manager makes enquiries and all clubs excluding the lions - wow sure we want a forward. Here's our offer.

Fagan - interesting. So Joe, what are your weapons?
Joe- I reckon I'm a good athlete that can do more than just get goals. I can be handy in the middle, ruck sometime, float behind the ball sometime. I just want to be more than a single string player.
Fagan - welcome to the lions son.

What did they do to broken Joe? Rewired Daniher's electric numbers

BRISBANE has found everything it wanted and more in Joe Daniher.

A reliable key forward option and one of the League's more impressive chop-out ruckmen, Daniher has silenced any lingering doubts over his ability to make an instant impact at the Lions.

After just 15 games in his previous three seasons, the talented 27-year-old has vindicated the club, its recruiting team and its medical staff's confidence in their collective ability to rebuild both his form and fitness.

Daniher's forward numbers make for comforting reading. His 14 goals thus far put him on track for the second-biggest single-season haul of his career, even if it might remain some way short of the 65-goal campaign he managed in 2017.

Meanwhile, his average of 6.1 marks per match ranks him inside the top-10 in the League for key forwards, while his 1.9 contested marks, 1.9 marks inside-50 and 5.9 score involvements also compares favourably to some of the game's best key-position forwards.

But it's the manner in which Brisbane's medical staff have managed to reinvigorate Daniher's fitness base – subsequently enabling him to play much higher up the field – that is most impressive.

Daniher ranks No.1 in the competition among key forwards for inside-50s and metres gained so far this season, while his average of 15.4 disposals per game is a career-high and ranks No.2 among key forwards.

Those numbers, combined with his average of 1.0 clearances per game and 7.0 contested possessions per game – both top-10 among key forwards – are illustrative of a player maximising his improved tank in a secondary ruck role.

Given Brisbane's need for ruck depth following Martin's departure to the Western Bulldogs, plus the relative inexperience of McInerney as a full-time ruckman, a case can be made that it's as a secondary ruck where Daniher is truly excelling.

Still spending the majority of his time forward – Champion Data notes he has played 83.4 per cent game time forward and 16.3 percent in the ruck this season – the long-limbed Daniher is having an impact in his new part-time role.

Having attended 123 ruck contests this year – behind only Peter Wright, Luke Jackson, Chris Burgess, Mark Blicavs and Levi Casboult among back-up rucks – Daniher's ball-winning abilities, the territory he gains and his clearance numbers also stack up.

His hitout-to-advantage percentage of 7.3 per cent ranks No.7 among all key forwards to have attended at least 50 ruck contests so far this season, another impressive aspect of his work at stoppages.

To emphasise Daniher's return to his best form, his numbers in all of the aforementioned statistical categories are better in 2021 than what he has averaged across his entire career. In terms of disposals, inside-50s, centre clearances, metres gained and uncontested possessions, he is ranked 'elite' among key forwards by Champion Data.

'I'm fine with that, mate': Fagan backs Joe's goalkicking process

CHRIS Fagan had a chat to Joe Daniher about his goalkicking this week – and told him to kick however he liked.

Daniher's kicking technique has been the source of much scrutiny for a large portion of his 118-game career, and again came into the spotlight when kicking 1.4 against Richmond last week.

After missing a couple of set shots from handy positions with traditional drop punts, Daniher unleashed a superb right-footed around-the-corner shot to get on the scoreboard in the third quarter.

Fagan said he spoke to Daniher to clear the mind of his free agent recruit.

"It's a work in progress for him," Fagan said.

"I think all players have to find their own way that suits them. That's what works best for them under pressure.

"He might have been nervous about kicking around the corner because I hadn't talked to him about it.

"I said to him this week 'if you're more comfortable kicking around the corner, I'm fine with that, mate, if that's what makes you more accurate'.

"He hasn't been with us that long, we keep learning about him and he keeps learning about us."

Daniher has kicked 17.15 for the season and been everything – and more than – the Lions could have asked for.

He is playing the second ruck role behind Oscar McInerney and is influencing around the ground as much as inside 50, highlighted by 11 score involvements against the Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Review of the Joe Show

Article-Size-Template.png

All eyes were on Joe Daniher after he arrived at the Lions as the competition’s biggest off-season signing.

And from day 1, he showed his determination to live up to the hype.

The former Bomber did not miss a beat over the pre-season, ranking among the top few for completed sessions in his first summer in Queensland.

It was his ability to get fit and remain injury free, that was the big question after his departure from the Bombers.

Everyone knew he could play.

Lions fans who wondered how long it would take him to settle into his new environment and also regain the resilience to perform each week after managing just 15 games across his previous three seasons, needn’t have worried.

He started the season in the side and stayed there all year, kicking a goal in every match of the home and away season – the first time that feat had been achieved since he did it for the Bombers in 2017.

His 46 goals for the season rank second only to his All-Australian season in 2017, the year he also collected the AFL’s Mark of the year and Essendon’s best and fairest.

There is no doubt Big Joe is capable of finding another gear in his second season at the Lions, however he produced some stunning performances in 2021.

He was determined to have a big game against his old Club and ticked that box in round five when he collected a career high 25 disposals to go with two goals.

He finished the season with three bags of four goals and kicked two or more in another 10 games.

Standout Performance: Joe Sets the Standard in the West

In a hostile WA environment, Daniher returned to his Essendon best in Round 21 against Fremantle.

A four-goal performance was highlighted at the stroke of half-time, when Daniher slotted a tough set shot from the boundary to give the Lions a 45-point lead at the main break.

Finishing the day with 17 disposals, 7 marks and a 64-point win, it was a day to remember for Joey.

Daniher also kicked 4 goals against Geelong in Round 15 and West Coast in Round 23.

He also collected a career-high disposal count in Round 5 against his old side, Essendon, racking up 25 touches.

Season Averages

Disposals - 14.3 (Elite)

Kicks - 10.8 (Elite)

Goals - 2.9 (Above-Average)

Marks - 4.9

Goal Accuracy - 48.9

It took Joe Daniher just one season to know he was “All In” at the Lions.

With two years still to run on the original deal that lured the former All-Australian to Brisbane, the 27-year-old has now put pen to paper on a new contract that will see him lighting up the Gabba crowd until the end of 2025.

Daniher said although he still felt like the new kid on the block, he was thoroughly enjoying his time at the Lions and had no hesitation committing to a long-term deal that could see him pass 100 games for the Club.

"It's been fantastic,” he said.

“I’m really enjoying the place, really enjoying the city. The team and club itself is in great shape."

"I think I'm at the stage of my career where my role is to have the biggest influence on the group as I can and that's something I'm always consistently trying to do,’’ he said.

“Whether that be trying to help the processes and the way that we play or imparting that knowledge on the rest of the team.

“Basically, it comes down to being the best teammate I can be throughout the week and on game day.

“That's my role and that's something I'll continue to try and do."

JOE DANIHER'S smooth arrival in Brisbane has prompted the offensive weapon to extend his contract by two years until 2025.

The Essendon recruit played a record 26 games in 2021, a welcome change after injury restricted the former Therabody AFL All-Australian to just 15 games across his final three seasons at the Bombers.

The 27-year-old was all smiles when he spoke to the media on Friday, even joking he inked the extension without the knowledge of coach Chris Fagan.

"He was a bit surprised I signed the contract," Daniher smirked.

"I was very clever, I went around his back and chatted to Swanny (CEO Greg Swann) and DD (Dany Daly) and our recruiting boss Dom (Ambrogio) and got the deal done before Fages had a chance to agree to it."

Now that weasel Barrett has suggested that the contract extension was all about stitching up the Bombers when he came here as a free agent. Jeez he hates our football club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back