Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol 2 first round picks for Daniher when his a free agent is hilarious he's played 15 games in 3 years and in those games hasn't really set the world on fire
This is just Dodoro trying to save face.

Although you probably should give them enough $$ for a 1st round compo...

It's only like 200k difference and if you don't have that, you can offload a high salary low value price to Essendon. They alleviate your cap but receive a much better compo pick

Last 3 seasons
____________G....Disp...Mks...Tkl...Gls...GAvg
Jesse Hogan....39...15.7...6.0...1.4...65...1.67.........1yr left
Joe Daniher.....15...12.4...5.7...1.2...18...1.20..........RFA

Career Overall
___________Age...G.....Disp....Mks....Tkl....Gls....GAvg
Jesse Hogan...25....90....15.0....6.4....1.4....170....1.89
Joe Daniher....26...108...12.7....5.8....1.3....191....1.77

Two picks around the 16-30 is actually fair in my mind, even a second rounder or 1 first rounder. Remembering that Daniher going also frees up some cap space for Essendon as well. No doubt EFC will play hardball, but it has to be based on a fair deal.
Realistically he just hasn't played consistent football for some time, if you're the Lions, you have your limits on this deal, though he is what they need at the moment. Great leap, strong mark. Long kick.

Two picks around the 16-30 is actually fair in my mind, even a second rounder or 1 first rounder. Remembering that Daniher going also frees up some cap space for Essendon as well. No doubt EFC will play hardball, but it has to be based on a fair deal.
Realistically he just hasn't played consistent football for some time, if you're the Lions, you have your limits on this deal, though he is what they need at the moment. Great leap, strong mark. Long kick.
You forgot worse shot at goal than Hipwood and thinking 2 firsts is fair for Daniher is laughable

Pick 17 on table (not even 16).

Take it or we'll take Daniher there on draft. No dramas. We are essentially handing over the pick we would've used on him anyway.

Looking through the national draft there really aren't many teams who would take him you'd think given he wants to get out of Melbourne, the medical risk, and the contract. We'd surely be able to grab him with the second of our two first rounders if it came to it and the Daniher camp was happy to go that way and not do medicals with other teams.

Of the interstate sides:
Adelaide - won't use pick 1 or 2 if they get it, can't see them using pick 8 either
Syd - won't with pick 3, though an option for PSD
Gold Coast - pick 5 seems unlikely and its not an area of need
Freo - pick 10 seems unlikely, plus Perth is not escaping the footy media.
West Coast - don't have a first round pick
GWS - don't have a first round pick
Port - don't have a first round pick

Geelong might be a chance with one of their 3 firsts if they hold onto them, but if they get Cameron there is no chance. Even if Cameron re-signs with GWS don't think they'd be that interested in holding onto Joe and they will still need to find cap room for Higgins, Crouch, etc.

Would essendon re-draft him with pick 6 or 7? Would be pretty stupid to do so.

It's only like 200k difference and if you don't have that, you can offload a high salary low value price to Essendon. They alleviate your cap but receive a much better compo pick
If Essendon are happy taking on a bad contract, it might be a good way to get rid of Marcus Adams, who has been leapfrogged by Jack Payne as a KPD if last night is any indication. The obvious question is whether Adams wants to go to Essendon at all.

Take it or we'll take Daniher there on draft. No dramas. We are essentially handing over the pick we would've used on him anyway.
People can argue about the take him to the draft scenario either way so I’ll leave that one to your own opinion. So let’s leave that aside for this question

genuine question though for Brisbane fans. From what I am hearing there is appetite for Brisbane to trade their first round pick for him (pick 17 as you stated). Wouldn’t you rather Brisbane pay an additional $100-$150k per year and keep pick 17? I am assuming that would be enough for the bombers not to match.

If I was Brisbane i would value a pick 17 higher then $100k in the salary cap. What are your thoughts?

People can argue about the take him to the draft scenario either way so I’ll leave that one to your own opinion. So let’s leave that aside for this question

genuine question though for Brisbane fans. From what I am hearing there is appetite for Brisbane to trade their first round pick for him (pick 17 as you stated). Wouldn’t you rather Brisbane pay an additional $100-$150k per year and keep pick 17? I am assuming that would be enough for the bombers not to match.

If I was Brisbane i would value a pick 17 higher then $100k in the salary cap. What are your thoughts?

Sure, but there is no evidence that it is 100k salary cap difference per year. Depending on how the deal is structured, it could be 450-500 base with significant incentives, making it more like 200-250 per year difference, with it all being guaranteed. The chatter in the media is that it is roughly 3 mill over 5 years, but we don't know if that is the guaranteed amount or what he will get if the incentives hit, or if its actually 4 years with a trigger for a 5th.

Ideal outcome for us is you accept the compo pick and we do a favourable trade for a player like witherden or Ely Smith to add a bit of value for you.

That depends entirely on whether we can still re-sign McCluggage, Berry, Rayner and friends with the money left over after signing Daniher to Band 1. If we can, then I'm happy to pay it and keep the pick. If not, then the pick isn't that important.

This is why getting rid of one of our (few) bad contracts is a potential game changer. It increases our ability to re-sign everyone we want while paying Daniher Band 1 salary.

The other factor is if we acquire him as a free agent, that salary including the portion we overpaid (for the higher compensation pick) is included in our salary cap regardless of what happens to Daniher over the length of his contract even if he retires due to injury.

So we're both increasing the risk we take with Daniher by increasing the guaranteed portion of his contract +/- paying him more than we want to, and then double down by locking that increased amount into our salary cap for the length of the contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other factor is if we acquire him as a free agent, that salary including the portion we overpaid (for the higher compensation pick) is included in our salary cap regardless of what happens to Daniher over the length of his contract even if he retires due to injury.

So we're both increasing the risk we take with Daniher by increasing the guaranteed portion of his contract +/- paying him more than we want to, and then double down by locking that increased amount into our salary cap for the length of the contract.
This would be somewhat mitigated if we only make it a 3 year fully guaranteed contract, with appearance-based triggers for a 4th/5th year. Then it doesn't screw us past 2023, while still getting Essendon what they want.

I could imagine us playing hardball, trading away our first two picks and leaving Essendon with no option whatsoever but to accept the compensation.

I could imagine us preferring to have flexibility with his deal and maybe offering one of our first picks. The only way I could see it going beyond a single pick would be with something coming back that made sense to us.

I’m sure something will get sorted within those bounds.

If I were Stephenson my money would be on Bombers receiving a band two comp. Next would be Bombers match (probably agreed on by Lions before hand) and we trade one of our first round picks

Two first round picks is possible but highly unlikely

I still think it is a massive mistake for Brisbane to give up much for him. I said the same thing with Freo for Jesse Hogan. This has disaster written all over it. Brisbane are competing for the flag, they need a consistent, accurate forward line, and Daniher is not that at all. I think his body and motivation is shot.

I hope I am wrong. Daniher seems like a great guy and I love his attitude on the field. But a club needs there KPP to be able to take marks and kick goals. Daniher kicks it out on the full 30 out.

if they can get him cheap, awesome. But they won’t get him cheap.

Won't be 100 though, like others have said it'll be closer to 200 x 5, possibly a million.

Unless AFL allows you to essentially boost the first two years of his salary for us (like throwing 500k each across 2 years for arguments sake :D) , then Daniher's salary will suddenly go to 800k across 5 years and you get pick 7. If you have cap space and we're allowed to do this, then this will make everyone happy.

Looking through the national draft there really aren't many teams who would take him you'd think given he wants to get out of Melbourne, the medical risk, and the contract. We'd surely be able to grab him with the second of our two first rounders if it came to it and the Daniher camp was happy to go that way and not do medicals with other teams.

Of the interstate sides:
Adelaide - won't use pick 1 or 2 if they get it, can't see them using pick 8 either
Syd - won't with pick 3, though an option for PSD
Gold Coast - pick 5 seems unlikely and its not an area of need
Freo - pick 10 seems unlikely, plus Perth is not escaping the footy media.
West Coast - don't have a first round pick
GWS - don't have a first round pick
Port - don't have a first round pick

Geelong might be a chance with one of their 3 firsts if they hold onto them, but if they get Cameron there is no chance. Even if Cameron re-signs with GWS don't think they'd be that interested in holding onto Joe and they will still need to find cap room for Higgins, Crouch, etc.

Would essendon re-draft him with pick 6 or 7? Would be pretty stupid to do so.

I considered Geelong too, but now that they only have 11 and 13 - their third pick has gone after ours - I don't see them as a concern anymore.

Sure, but there is no evidence that it is 100k salary cap difference per year. Depending on how the deal is structured, it could be 450-500 base with significant incentives, making it more like 200-250 per year difference, with it all being guaranteed. The chatter in the media is that it is roughly 3 mill over 5 years, but we don't know if that is the guaranteed amount or what he will get if the incentives hit, or if its actually 4 years with a trigger for a 5th.

Ideal outcome for us is you accept the compo pick and we do a favourable trade for a player like witherden or Ely Smith to add a bit of value for you.

very true and yeah if it was pick 17 and another favourable trade that might make the difference. And obviously it depends on your salary cap position.
Won't be 100 though, like others have said it'll be closer to 200 x 5, possibly a million.

Unless AFL allows you to essentially boost the first two years of his salary for us (like throwing 500k each across 2 years for arguments sake :D) , then Daniher's salary will suddenly go to 800k across 5 years and you get pick 7. If you have cap space and we're allowed to do this, then this will make everyone happy.

and maybe your salary cap isn’t as good of a spot as I thought it was But even at an extra mil over 5 years It’s a pretty easy thing to work around. It could just mean retiring one player that is barely best 22 for example. I’d take that rather than give up a pick 17.

but yeah depends on where your salary cap is at, just my thoughts.

if bombers were in the market for Jeremy Cameron as an example and we had to make $900k a year vs $700k a year if I was the club I’d say just make it happen, retire hooker/Hurley a year early and get him in.

This argument is so cringeworthy. Carlton supporters suggesting they take Saad with pick 7. Spare me.

The real world isn’t as immature as Bigfooty

A deal will be done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This argument is so cringeworthy. Carlton supporters suggesting they take Saad with pick 7. Spare me.

A deal will be done

Two pages of your supporters railing up how we need to hand over picks / players for Daniher asap and you come along to "cringe" on this one post. Nice.

very true and yeah if it was pick 17 and another favourable trade that might make the difference. And obviously it depends on your salary cap position.

and maybe your salary cap isn’t as good of a spot as I thought it was But even at an extra mil over 5 years It’s a pretty easy thing to work around. It could just mean retiring one player that is barely best 22 for example. I’d take that rather than give up a pick 17.

but yeah depends on where your salary cap is at, just my thoughts.

if bombers were in the market for Jeremy Cameron as an example and we had to make $900k a year vs $700k a year if I was the club I’d say just make it happen, retire hooker/Hurley a year early and get him in.
The problem would be finding money for Rayner McCluggage Bailey and J. Lyons at the end season 2021 can't see the Lions offering 1 mil a season over 5 years for Daniher if that was Jezza Cameron instead I'm sure we could find the money I feel 650k over 5 seasons is about right for Daniher

The problem would be finding money for Rayner McCluggage Bailey and J. Lyons at the end season 2021 can't see the Lions offering 1 mil a season over 5 years for Daniher if that was Jezza Cameron instead I'm sure we could find the money I feel 650k over 5 seasons is about right for Daniher

I wasn’t saying offer Daniher a mil a season, the previous poster was suggesting you would need to increase your offer by $200k a season over 5 years (so $1mil total).

$200k a year realistically is just rounding and even if it saved you just pick 17 I would say it was worth it. you lose hypothetically mitch Robinson a year or two early and you make it up. I’m just suggesting that’s a better outcome for Brisbane

A deal will be done

I agree that a deal will be done. My point is that I think it will be one of our firsts and a sweetener, or you accept the compo pick and we do another favourable trade involving a player - e.g. witherden for a future third or something.

Back