Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Where has Fagan or anyone at Brissy said they're offering him even 4 years ? Once again you're speculating arnt you. Based your 4 yrs on a journo guess ? Assuming a bit much arnt you ?
You keep adding 1+1 but the Dons Goggles lead you to the wrong answers.

Is this why Dodo tries to deal thru the media so much ?...coz dons fans like to lap up speculation and journo rubbish as gospel truth ?

Of course Fagan is happy enough at the right price. If Joe dialed Adelaide they'd also be happy enough and keen to accommodate him as well.... AT THE RIGHT PRICE COMENSURATE WITH RISK.

Didnt Fagan actually say he would not be trading for him ? i.e. would not be chasing him aggressively ? Tell me thats wrong.

The only 4 year deal we know of is the Dons offer...and they havent even quoted the $ amount so it could be as low as say 400K or even up to 900K...Joe knows what it is, and he seems pretty keen to get the hell out. He's keen to get nearly as far away as possible and showing he doesnt really care which state it is.

Then of course Ben Brown is out there on the market.
Jeremy Cameron also.
and i'd bet my left nut Jesse Hogan is getable if you dial freo.

Its competitive out there for KPF's this year....and reduced cap and list sizes. Plus Dons dont have the options of the other clubs....they now must get Joe out the door coz they know he absolutely will not be playing for them next year.

Good attempt at including some rhetorical questions in your statement, but please get the spelling of ‘aren’t’ correct.

Also you asked for evidence from previous posters, so I’ll ask you to provide evidence to back up your claim that Joe doesn’t care which state he goes to. Could you provide a link/quote or any evidence whatsoever that Joe would be happy to move to Adelaide or WA? Or do you just have seperate rules for others when it’s comes to people backing up their claims? Looking forward to your reply

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Looks like the guy running it got a gig working for Port Adelaide and the site hasn't been updated for a couple of years :thumbsdown:
Robert Younger, who is now at the Demons.

Check this one out
I've used that as well for research in the past, it isn't that pertinent to Daniher specifically though since he's only played 15 games from 2018 onwards.

Obviously Brisbane are the front runner but I won't be surprised at all to see GWS come hard for him.
According to Brisbane he’s nominated them so it’s theoretically already done.

I guess things could change if the money is there but it would be very unlikely.

According to Brisbane he’s nominated them so it’s theoretically already done.

I guess things could change if the money is there but it would be very unlikely.

I don't want to be a sooky la la but yeah, I don't think it is all said and done with today's news release that Cameron is off to Geelong. Leaves a perfect opportunity for GWS to get in a star factor forward.

I don't want to be a sooky la la but yeah, I don't think it is all said and done with today's news release that Cameron is off to Geelong. Leaves a perfect opportunity for GWS to get in a star factor forward.

Anything is possible I guess, but from the outside there seems to be a bit on the nose at GWS too. Missed finals despite a star studded team. Williams, Caldwell & Cameron all want out.

s**t started hitting the wall so to speak when they took the captaincy away from Ward & Davis & gave it to Cogs to make sure he signed on. Bad culture call there I reckon.

I might be wrong, but I don't think money is Joe's primary motivator.

I think part of Joe’s attraction to Brisbane is the chance at some team success. Sydney will be struggling for a while and it doesn’t look like GWS will be contending for a flag anytime soon. There may be a slight chance the Giants ask the question, but he seems very set on becoming a Lion.

Anything is possible I guess, but from the outside there seems to be a bit on the nose at GWS too. Missed finals despite a star studded team. Williams, Caldwell & Cameron all want out.

sh*t started hitting the wall so to speak when they took the captaincy away from Ward & Davis & gave it to Cogs to make sure he signed on. Bad culture call there I reckon.

I might be wrong, but I don't think money is Joe's primary motivator.
I think part of Joe’s attraction to Brisbane is the chance at some team success. Sydney will be struggling for a while and it doesn’t look like GWS will be contending for a flag anytime soon. There may be a slight chance the Giants ask the question, but he seems very set on becoming a Lion.

I fully expect Joe to get to Brisbane. As has been stated, you guys are exceptionally generous when it comes to the trade table. A big attraction must be the success stories in Linc McCarthy (insert any other injury prone player who has remarkably come good at Brisbane) whilst Brisbane backing up last years success this year must also be a big attraction.

As I mentioned, I fully expect Joe to get to Brisbane, just won't be surprised if GWS come in hard for him (ala Sydney with Buddy all those years ago).

That’s a sad indictment on you enjoying another team suffer.

I hate teams as much as the next but enjoying another team suffer is really, really sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What rot. Like you didnt enjoy Carlton winning spoons, Richmond finishing 9th all those times, or Collingwood failing in multiple GFs this century. Turn it up.

Like you were just sitting back going "Now that Carlton have got Judd I couldn't be more pleased. Hope they capitalise and win a flag".

What rot. Like you didnt enjoy Carlton winning spoons, Richmond finishing 9th all those times, or Collingwood failing in multiple GFs this century. Turn it up.

Like you were just sitting back going "Now that Carlton have got Judd I couldn't be more pleased. Hope they capitalise and win a flag".
you don't know me. I couldn't care less mate.

In case you missed it, I follow Essendon. I love watching a lot of football but enjoying the wreckage clubs bring on themselves is something that has never been a big part of my personality.

Sure, an incident in isolation here and there but a continuing hate for an opposition club? no thanks

you don't know me. I couldn't care less mate.

In case you missed it, I follow Essendon. I love watching a lot of football but enjoying the wreckage clubs bring on themselves is something that has never been a big part of my personality.

Sure, an incident in isolation here and there but a continuing hate for an opposition club? no thanks

Youre a bigger person than I then. Lets leave it there then, no sense disrupting this thread with further off topic posts.

Not sure how many of those are set shots, he's very good at ground level for a 2m tall player.

2017 was his best year for accuracy I'm pretty sure, generally I think he's around a 50:50 proposition, he has some howlers where it's out on the full, or totally across the face, but the second half of 2017 from memory he started to sort out his set shots. If he can get back to that level then you'd be pretty happy.

I've always thought he's best played at CHF where he can use his size, mobility and field kicking instead of relying on i50 entries. He's good when he can run and jump, not great in a wrestle - though he looked better at that this year, seems he's bulked up a bit.

I can also see some sneaky centre square red dots down there.

If his field kicking in general is good it must be in his head (low % accuracy) Same with McStay who is an elite field kick but not reliable in front of goal

If his field kicking in general is good it must be in his head (low % accuracy) Same with McStay who is an elite field kick but not reliable in front of goal

Definitely a big mental part to it, given he actively made improvements on it when he was working with Lloyd. He also has a natural around the body type action that he can’t seem to compensate for with set shots whereas on the move it’s not an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice try by Essendon supporters trying to deflect Daniher to GWS but even though Cameron leaving GWS salary cap is still tight according to Tom Morris

So...offering a guy $700k and he doesn’t accept it, seemingly doesn’t open up $700k in their salary cap?
Would like to hear the logic from Tom Morris on that.

So...offering a guy $700k and he doesn’t accept it, seemingly doesn’t open up $700k in their salary cap?
Would like to hear the logic from Tom Morris on that.

If GWS match Cameron's offer are they even allowed to bid on Daniher? Wouldnt have thought they be allowed to have two open offers if its going to blow their cap

If GWS match Cameron's offer are they even allowed to bid on Daniher? Wouldnt have thought they be allowed to have two open offers if its going to blow their cap
I don’t think there’s a rule that specifically addresses this (publicly available anyway), but that is a really good point.

Yeah I think this is a really grey area.

If a club wants to make a bid for $X amount on a free agent - I honestly don't know, but I'm not sure there is anything that requires them to prove that they have that specific amount of salary cap space at that exact point in time to make that bid. Because if the player then chooses them, a team could then trade away another player to clear salary cap space.

There are certain dates of list lodgments and I imagine that is where you have to prove you are below the salary cap etc...

But it's an interesting point.

Yeah I think this is a really grey area.

If a club wants to make a bid for $X amount on a free agent - I honestly don't know, but I'm not sure there is anything that requires them to prove that they have that specific amount of salary cap space at that exact point in time to make that bid. Because if the player then chooses them, a team could then trade away another player to clear salary cap space.

There are certain dates of list lodgments and I imagine that is where you have to prove you are below the salary cap etc...

But it's an interesting point.

I recall with the Franklin bid the AFL reviewed the offer as there were concerns Sydney couldn't afford such a large contract. Thats the only instance which comes to mind. The other thing which sticks out is that all player contracts are lodged with the AFL which means the AFL would likely know already if they can afford it.

I guess it comes down to Cameron. If he rejects the matching offer from GWS and makes a statement "come hell or high water im leaving GWS" then it does give them some flexibility to bid on Daniher. But I remember him saying hes happy to stay at GWS for more money. I guess it also comes down to Geelongs offer and if it's sizeable enough to have an impact.

Itll be interesting to see it play out.

I wouldnt have thought so as the whole premise of you matching a offer is you want to keep the player which means he added to your cap going forward. Maybe there should be a new rule like in the NBA where you do a sign and trade. So matched a offer with the understanding that he will be traded.

I wouldnt have thought so as the whole premise of you matching a offer is you want to keep the player which means he added to your cap going forward. Maybe there should be a new rule like in the NBA where you do a sign and trade. So matched a offer with the understanding that he will be traded.

But that's not (in my understanding) how AFL Free Agency works, does it?
If you were to match a bid, the options then become:
1) Negotiating a trade
2) The player entering the draft
or I guess what you're suggesting, the distant 3rd option is 3) Signing a new contract with original club.

1) Negotiating a trade
or I guess what you're suggesting, the distant 3rd option is 3) Signing a new contract with original club.
And for what it’s worth, matching just means that you agree to offer a broadly similar contract. It doesn’t mean the player has to sign it.

In fact though no free agency negotiations have ever got to the point of being matched in the AFL, usually they just skip straight to negotiating a trade after indicating to the other club that the compensation is inadequate and they will match if a free agency offer is tabled.

Once or twice the compensation has gone through with an extremely favourable side deal to balance it up too.

1) Negotiating a trade

But wouldnt GWS be held to the matching contract? If, as Lore pointed out it skips the bid/match process then I would think they are free to bid on Daniher.

Back