Free Agency Joe Daniher [RFA to Brisbane for 1st round compensation pick]

Going or staying?

• going

Votes: 166 91.2%
  • staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniher can nominate for national draft correct? Then unless bombers somehow get band 1, surely lions just put pick 17 on the table in a take it or leave it scenario. It either goes to Essendon or used on Daniher. Bit of a risk, but you wouldn’t think another club would use an earlier pick in national draft.
Yep. That's basically it. Daniher is worth a late first. The compo is likely to be about pick 20. Brisbane will offer one of their late firsts if necessary. If Essendon carry on, Daniher can go to the ND where Brisbane will use a late first on him.
Better to just take the compo and not sour relations further.

Because it's just not how these things go down haha.

(Cue the Luke Ball example etc...)

This happens every year with multiple clubs. Pandering, showing off, claiming this, demanding that etc...
And then a deal gets done.

Rinse and repeat.

Because it's just not how these things go down haha.

(Cue the Luke Ball example etc...)

This happens every year with multiple clubs. Pandering, showing off, claiming this, demanding that etc...
And then a deal gets done.

Rinse and repeat.
Not really sure we are disagreeing, I think pick 17 will get it done

Not really sure we are disagreeing, I think pick 17 will get it done

Yeah, I can see pick 17 getting the deal done, much as Essendon will no doubt try to get more. Maybe there's a mostly inconsequential pick swap to get it over the line.

Brisbane don’t really need to discuss anything until Essendon match the offer.

The discussions will inform whether or not Essendon match it. So playing tough on any possible trade would help influence the decision to match. Could also influence the offer the Lions make to Daniher effecting the compensation Essendon get

The discussions will inform whether or not Essendon match it. So playing tough on any possible trade would help influence the decision to match. Could also influence the offer the Lions make to Daniher effecting the compensation Essendon get

True.

Although I think it’s pretty clear that Essendon match band 2 and don’t match band 1.

So Brisbane can stretch the pay to trigger band 1 if they want, but further discussions don’t really change this consideration.

And brissy can posture and say they won’t offer more than band 2 compo via trade, but Essendon won’t believe them.

Yeah I think this is a really grey area.

If a club wants to make a bid for $X amount on a free agent - I honestly don't know, but I'm not sure there is anything that requires them to prove that they have that specific amount of salary cap space at that exact point in time to make that bid. Because if the player then chooses them, a team could then trade away another player to clear salary cap space.

There are certain dates of list lodgments and I imagine that is where you have to prove you are below the salary cap etc...

But it's an interesting point.

Just to chip in here, it's not a grey area. If any team matches a RFA contract and can't afford it, they breach rule 28.3. They've exceeded their TPP and the AFL GC can "void" the matched offer or punish in various other ways.

Because they want to split 7 using Brisbane’s first round picks and if we force a trade Brisbane won’t have those picks anymore. Also it’s really common for supporters of rival clubs to turn up in threads. As long as they’re civilised they can be interesting to talk to.
Yeah, but continuing the incessant "Brisbane will just force him to PSD or National Draft", "we should just take the FA compo and move on", "hard to deal with" lines is more like trolling. Plenty of lurking likers around too whenever it's a post that basically goes against Essendon..

Yeah, but continuing the incessant "Brisbane will just force him to PSD or National Draft", "we should just take the FA compo and move on", "hard to deal with" lines is more like trolling. Plenty of lurking likers around too whenever it's a post that basically goes against Essendon..
Taking the FA compo and moving on is being suggested by some Essendon supporters and neutrals (including myself, assuming band 1. Band 2 I'm less sure about). "Hard to deal with" is a tag that will follow us forevermore, might as well get used to it. The PSD is basically an industry-wide in-joke.

People react to things because they're funny, or sad, or angry, etc. Team boards are meant to be safe havens for the supporters of that club, so troll liking is frowned upon because it upsets the locals. General boards don't have an inbuilt bias. These are basically like going to a very busy pub, it takes all kinds and the audience you're talking to is different. If you don't want this audience laughing at your posts, don't say things that they will find funny. 🤷‍♀️

This has probably been raised before but is there anything stopping Essendon tipping some money into his salary to get us to band 1 compo?

Can't wait for Mitch Robinson to come out and publicly shame Daniher for "chasing flags" like he did Tom Lynch....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has probably been raised before but is there anything stopping Essendon tipping some money into his salary to get us to band 1 compo?

The player's current club can only pay part of the player's salary at the new club if the player is under contract. They can't do this for uncontracted players/free agents.

Yes. You can't contribute salary for an uncontracted player, you can for a contracted player you trade out.

I'm not certain how it works exactly for contracted players, but I suspect it actually involves bringing forward some salary from say 2021 into 2020 and paying it under the current cap, then that allows the new club to pay a commensurately smaller amount contract wise. This may be incorrect and the AFL may let you have a $ figure on your cap for players you traded out the previous season, so I'm not sure.

Can't wait for Mitch Robinson to come out and publicly shame Daniher for "chasing flags" like he did Tom Lynch....

I mean, our medical team is a pretty big draw for previously/currently injured players. Also for getting outside the football bubble.

The player's current club can only pay part of the player's salary at the new club if the player is under contract. They can't do this for uncontracted players/free agents.
Yep. And you can't outright trade cap space either.

The only way it would work here would be if you happened to have a player on your list that was given a big contract and then got injured, fell out of form, or is no longer best 22, we could take them and the remainder of their contract off your books, which would free up cap space that you could use to offer Daniher more money.

I believe this is what we did with Craig Bird when he came to us from Sydney.

You do realise he wanted to get to Sydney last year don’t you? Were they Premiership contenders? Lol, move on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Someone mentioned Richmond doing GCS a favour when bringing in Brandon Ellis. Someone suggested Richmond gave them Miles and Corey Ellis as a somewhat thank you for allowing the real to go through (probably reading that situation completely wrong of anyone irk would like to correct it).

Would be nice if we allowed band 2 to go through whilst Brisbane maybe taking on a salary not necessarily in our best OR offering a relative fringe player for peanuts (can see Rhys Mathieson all over this hypothetically).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. And you can't outright trade cap space either.

The only way it would work here would be if you happened to have a player on your list that was given a big contract and then got injured, fell out of form, or is no longer best 22, we could take them and the remainder of their contract off your books, which would free up cap space that you could use to offer Daniher more money.

I believe this is what we did with Craig Bird when he came to us from Sydney.

I just replied to another post and then saw this. 100% can see a secondary deal go through heavily in Essendons favour as a gesture of good will for not matching band 2.

Someone mentioned Richmond doing GCS a favour when bringing in Brandon Ellis. Someone suggested Richmond gave them Miles and Corey Ellis as a somewhat thank you for allowing the real to go through (probably reading that situation completely wrong of anyone irk would like to correct it).

Would be nice if we allowed band 2 to go through whilst Brisbane maybe taking on a salary not necessarily in our best OR offering a relative fringe player for peanuts (can see Rhys Mathieson all over this hypothetically).

Yeah they essentially traded Ellis and Miles for swap of third round picks. At the time that looked far below value, and makes sense that it was linked to the Lynch FA move.

Re Mathieson being that player, I have a feeling his cards might be stamped at this stage, and the only reason he'll be at Brisbane is because he's contracted. Has minimal trade value IMO.

Daniher can nominate for national draft correct? Then unless bombers somehow get band 1, surely lions just put pick 17 on the table in a take it or leave it scenario. It either goes to Essendon or used on Daniher. Bit of a risk, but you wouldn’t think another club would use an earlier pick in national draft.
Daniher nominates for PSD, goes to Bris or another club (like Syd if they dont get Hogan) for free and Essendons player group gets even unhappier and more walk next year.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back