• staying

Votes: 16 8.8%

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Late first at max if a trade is forced.

Otherwise Swans or whoever pay overs, and he goes free.

Probably end of first round compo anyway.

Don't think he will get an end of first round compensation as the formula is dictated by how many games a player has played in the last few years, their best and fairest results and how much the new club is offering. Sure Daniher probably has a few good B&F results but he has barely played the last few years and the Swans are not going to offer him a massive long term contract. All those things are going to tank him in the compensation mathematics.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don't think he will get an end of first round compensation as the formula is dictated by how many games a player has played in the last few years, their best and fairest results and how much the new club is offering. Sure Daniher probably has a few good B&F results but he has barely played the last few years and the Swans are not going to offer him a massive long term contract. All those things are going to tank him in the compensation mathematics.

I thought the compo was simply based on how much $$$ they were on. If you go back the history of compo is cooked anyway.

So more of a second rounder/end of second round compo you reckon?

I swear he'd still be one of their highest paid despite recent injuries.

I thought the compo was simply based on how much $$$ they were on. If you go back the history of compo is cooked anyway.

So more of a second rounder/end of second round compo you reckon?

I swear he'd still be one of their highest paid despite recent injuries.
He is, he signed his latest deal in 2017 (his 65 goal year) for around 800k a year

Who knows some one watches Essendon train claims that Joe wont play at all this year he’s still a long,long way off
That is a shame. I can't help but wonder if he is doing a Jon Patton. Getting himself right for 2021. In any case, I wish him the best no matter where he ends up.

Old Stuckup

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea, 76s, Stars
That is a shame. I can't help but wonder if he is doing a Jon Patton. Getting himself right for 2021. In any case, I wish him the best no matter where he ends up.
I doubt it given how much he just seems to love playing footy and the fact that sitting out the year would cost him significant $ on his next contract.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Late first at max if a trade is forced.

Otherwise Swans or whoever pay overs, and he goes free.

Probably end of first round compo anyway.
This sounds right on the money. Essendon should have taken the first last year, I think everyone (including Essendon) know that. Playing hardball backfired this time.

He's a great athlete, great highlights reel and has a famous surname, but these just aren't the stats of a 2xfirst round pick key forward.

View attachment 884768

Compare that with:
Taylor Walker first 107 games had kicked 250 goals
Josh Bruce has 114 game and kicked 172 goals
Jack Darling first 105 games and kicked 184 goals
Joe Daniher 104 games and kicked 188 goals

If I was Essendon, I'd be starting the car if I got a pick lower than 15

Stats say he's a solid B-grade KPF

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
This sounds right on the money. Essendon should have taken the first last year, I think everyone (including Essendon) know that. Playing hardball backfired this time.

He's a great athlete, great highlights reel and has a famous surname, but these just aren't the stats of a 2xfirst round pick key forward.

View attachment 884768

Compare that with:

Comparing a 6’7 beanpole who’s had injury issues with a bunch of guys who came in more physically mature makes sense, sure. He’s also an AA and B&F winner and we have Shaun McKernan, the constantly injured James Stewart and a stack of untried kids to replace him. Should we have taken a deal last year (if the pick 9 that Sydney didn’t ever have was part of it)? Maybe. Is a fit Joe worth more, you betcha. Swans weren’t wanting to pay the price, that’s ok, we move on for at least 12 months.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Comparing a 6’7 beanpole who’s had injury issues with a bunch of guys who came in more physically mature makes sense, sure. He’s also an AA and B&F winner and we have Shaun McKernan, the constantly injured James Stewart and a stack of untried kids to replace him. Should we have taken a deal last year (if the pick 9 that Sydney didn’t ever have was part of it)? Maybe. Is a fit Joe worth more, you betcha. Swans weren’t wanting to pay the price, that’s ok, we move on for at least 12 months.
He's only been injured the last 2 years having played 20 in the four previous.

OK, compare him with someone else who was really skinny and worth a couple of top picks...Franklin? First 103 games = 305 goals

B&F says something about your team, not how good he is. Jarrod Harbrow is a B&F winner too.

Easy to say sure we move on, but you could have had Sam Flanders on your list developing

He's only been injured the last 2 years having played 20 in the four previous.

OK, compare him with someone else who was really skinny and worth a couple of top picks...Franklin? First 103 games = 305 goals

B&F says something about your team, not how good he is. Jarrod Harbrow is a B&F winner too.

Easy to say sure we move on, but you could have had Sam Flanders on your list developing

I was more horrified that we actually offered the amount we did! An injury prone crock who we'd be taking a Hail Mary gamble on him ever being fit is not screaming pay a bunch of high picks....especially not two high first rounders...which would have cost us Papley as well!

View attachment 884768

Compare that with:

Using goals is overly simplistic. He came off an BnF winning and All Australian year and then missed 2 years firmly entrenched in his prime. Jack Darling was also one of the best forwards in the game last year as well...

Beyond that, we wanted a key forward and Sydney weren't prepared to offer any of theirs up as part of a deal for whatever reason (which is fair enough, I just don't know what it is). Our reason was outside of Daniher we had a nearly 32 year old who'd been playing defence the previous 2 years, a 29 year old who's never kicked 20 goals in a season and a 26 year old coming off a similar injury that hadn't played AFL in a year and a half at that point.

To say "You could have Sam Flanders on your list developing" is overly simplistic as well. Who's to say we'd have drafted Flanders there? Who's to say we don't get the same deal from Gold Coast that Carlton? Who do we take then? Is Jones one of them? I suspect he would have been, does that mean we trade up with North, or do we take Bryan and someone else? If we do the trade do we draft the player that slides because of Jones or do we take someone like Trent Rivers or Elijah Taylor?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think what we are seeing is that Daniher is worth more to Essendon than Sydney, which is fair enough. Probably why the deal wasn't done.

It'll be interesting if we get to the same place at the end of this year - the result I think will be dependant on where each team finishes on the ladder

I think what we are seeing is that Daniher is worth more to Essendon than Sydney, which is fair enough. Probably why the deal wasn't done.

It'll be interesting if we get to the same place at the end of this year - the result I think will be dependant on where each team finishes on the ladder
Perfect situation for us would be Sydney finishing around 10th. If that's the case they probably have to trade their first round pick anyway

Back