Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

It's not a bonus second round pick, it's pick 5 which unless you think the Bombers are going to be bottom 4 next year you aren't getting when Daniher leaves next year.
I think we're a middling side next year. A middle first-round pick in a better draft 2020. Still... Joe is worth more to our club, than Sydney are prepared to pay. We have no back-ups. If that is all that is offered, EFC will roll the dice and hope they can change his mind... or at the very least, buy another year to work out a better back-up plan.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I think we're a middling side next year. A middle first-round pick in a better draft 2020. Still... Joe is worth more to our club, than Sydney are prepared to pay. We have no back-ups. If that is all that is offered, EFC will roll the dice and hope they can change his mind... or at the very least, buy another year to work out a better back-up plan.

All the talk is it's not a better draft and a top 5 pick is always better than a middle first round pick.

In the link to the actual policy it just refers to the draft. I’m not so sure it’s as clear cut as you suggest. Not saying you’re wrong though.
yeah, I read that too, but I quoted an update released by the AFL on it's own website, published a week ago. I think it's as good as we're going to get.

All the talk is it's not a better draft and a top 5 pick is always better than a middle first round pick.
Maybe one is slightly better than the other. Either way, it's not going to be a big enough change to make anyone take notice. A slightly better first-round pick and a second-round pick won't cut it.

In the link to the actual policy it just refers to the draft. I’m not so sure it’s as clear cut as you suggest. Not saying you’re wrong though.

It's not in the rules relating to the draft, it's not even on the Draft Nomination Form.
It is just AFL policy.

Fridge16

All Australian
Sep 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the best thing about all this is the club and most of its supporters would love to keep Daniher next year and would be confident we could change his mind like we did Francis and Fantasia.

That being the case we can demand a kings ransom and then sit back and lol at Sydney getting their knickers in a knot.

Better

Rookie
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You do know that he can reject your matching offer and nominate for the PSD right?

Of course if Daniher goes to to either draft, Draft, PSD, whatever.

So you think that:
1. Sydney will finish last next year
2. Gold Coast don't have the cap to fit Joe; or
3. Gold Coast wouldn't take Joe

Bahahaha you do realise that even if that WAS true, that's exactly what you're doing in reverse here.

Now please point me in the direction of some BS claim I have helped spread, like you are doing here.

I’m not spreading anything? I even said Goddard was full of s**t when he was making comments...

I’m not spreading anything? I even said Goddard was full of s**t when he was making comments...
Okay you're in here posting about an unsubstantiated tweet as if it has any value.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Yet his tweet here is entirely Sydney information and it's largely administrative information that has next to no chance of being spread.

Not buying it at all.

His information comes through Essendon people, so likely it would Joe's management opinion filtering through.

Imo that is superceded as soon as you become an RFA

If you're a RFA and you reject an offer matched by your club you become a "Listed Uncontracted Player".
By filling in a Draft Nomination Form you automatically get delisted.

Then you go to the PSD.

I can just picture the CoonDog sitting back reading this lowly twitter member of The Information Ministry's effort and chortling:

"One day you'll be where i am chump".
Have you seen the great man lately? He's looking very, er, "Keilor Park Drive"

His information comes through Essendon people, so likely it would Joe's management opinion filtering through.
Sorry I just can't buy it. He says Andrew Ireland is furious with Tom Harley. Tom Harley is our CEO. Andrew Ireland was former CEO who stood down last year. Even if Andrew Ireland was furious at Tom Harley, why would it go public? And better yet, why would it matter?

Like I said before, it makes sense that Daniher is uneasy. He's in another country with no real control over his future and clearly not in the best place right now. Poor bloke.

Yeah I don't really disagree. But I'm not convinced that an article trumps the official policy. Be interesting to get (absolute) clarity.
The official policy just says 'draft'. It doesn't seem like AFL policy to leave things deliberately vague?? The AFL could then just makeup and interpret rules as they see fit.

What I quoted is also listed as an 'official statement' from AFL HQ. Could be AFL statement to make the process clear before the policy is updated.

Last edited:

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
If you're a RFA and you reject an offer matched by your club you become a "Listed Uncontracted Player".
By filling in a Draft Nomination Form you automatically get delisted.

Then you go to the PSD.

Then why does the other Free Agency thing state you go to the National Draft? (Not that it really matters that much)

Should his original Club match the offer, and the Restricted Free Agent Player does not wish to remain with his original Club, he must enter the National Draft or seek a trade.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Have you seen the great man lately? He's looking very, er, "Keilor Park Drive"

Just imagine the confidence you'd have giving this bloke his running sheet and expecting him to carry it out.

No wonder the Tulla honcho's turned to the twitter guy.

Robbo on the sauce.
Everyone laughing at The Gazette.
The whisp half hearted at best.
Lordo getting all emotional.
Brendon dumping on the guy they're trying to woo back.

"Hello twitter guy, time for your call up"

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Just imagine the confidence you'd have giving this bloke his running sheet and expecting him to carry it out.

No wonder the Tulla honcho's turned to the twitter guy.

Robbo on the sauce.
Everyone laughing at The Gazette.
The whisp half hearted at best.
Lordo getting all emotional.
Brendon dumping on the guy they're trying to woo back.

"Hello twitter guy, time for your call up"

Personally don't think Joe would care what Goddard thinks

The official policy just says 'draft'. It doesn't seem like AFL policy to leave things deliberately vague?? The AFL could then just makeup and interpret rules as they see fit.

Clubs have to lodge lists with the AFL.
The lists they lodge include salaries.
Before the PSD the AFL looks at every clubs list to make sure they have space in their salary cap to pick up players in the PSD.

Players in the PSD usually nominate how much they want to get paid.
So the AFL can immediately tell if a club can or can't afford a player.
Spreadsheets can sometimes work in your favour. :cool:

Then why does the other Free Agency thing state you go to the National Draft? (Not that it really matters that much)
He doesn't know. He just wants to argue that Sydney can get Joe for cheap because he can just go into the PSD next year.

edit: I think you can stipulate for your nomination to be held over for the PSD. (once you've been deleted from the primary list). But I'm not sure you are deleted from the primary list without first being made to nominate for the national draft (as you are a matched offer as a RFA).

Last edited:
Back