Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that, but when a player wants out, I don't see the point. Make the best deal you can , and move on. Media posturing is IMO more of an issue than playing hardball. Should learn to play the media with a straighter bat instead of getting involved in "He can fall back in love with us" banter with the media.

Essendon could still let the deal fail a little more privately and not look quite as bad. As a fan I get the 'we don't give a s**t what the non-Essendon people think', but some of those non-Essendon people are potential future recruits that just see Essendon trying to shaft a player that they haven't been able to get on the park for 2 years in order to win trade hero points. It would be a smarter move to do the same thing behind closed doors with no statements to the media. Dodoro simply reinforces the perception that he cares more about appearing to win trade weak, than getting great long term outcomes for the club. Its not like he has a winning on field track record during the last 15 years of his tenure to fall back on and say 'hey but my hardball stance is working, see!'.
Daniher to Essendon is not just a “Player who wants out” this is a bloke we’ve invested a ridiculous amount of time and money on with strong Essendon connections. It isn’t just as simple as getting a deal and getting out.

Say what you will about the situation Essendon found themselves in (drugs), we as Essendon supporters have gone to hell and back in the last decade putting up with the clubs s**t. Daniher requesting a trade is just another massive kick in the guts for us supporters who have stuck fat with the club through all the s**t.

I’m glad Dodoro is not simply just letting him walk out the door. It might be a 10% chance he “falls back in love with the club” but given what Joe means to the football club it is worth the risk holding him for the small flicker of hope he might change his mind.

I thoroughly applaud how Essendon and Dodoro have dealt with this trade period. Professional, clear, strong and all for the betterment of the club. The swans on the other hand have been downright embarrassing and it looks like Joe is going to have to walk back into the club on day 1 of pre season with his tail between his legs.

No doubt he’ll have to work damn hard to earn the respect of the club and his teammates back but I think he’ll pull through.

As for the Swans, another bottom 4 finish beckons I’m afraid...

Daniher to Essendon is not just a “Player who wants out” this is a bloke we’ve invested a ridiculous amount of time and money on with strong Essendon connections. It isn’t just as simple as getting a deal and getting out.

Say what you will about the situation Essendon found themselves in (drugs), we as Essendon supporters have gone to hell and back in the last decade putting up with the clubs s**t. Daniher requesting a trade is just another massive kick in the guts for us supporters who have stuck fat with the club through all the s**t.

I’m glad Dodoro is not simply just letting him walk out the door. It might be a 10% chance he “falls back in love with the club” but given what Joe means to the football club it is worth the risk holding him for the small flicker of hope he might change his mind.

You may have those feelings toward Joe. And the club may have those thoughts about Joe.

But from Joe's perspective, this is his EFC experience:

Walk in a budding star.
4 years of the saga.
1 year of top-ups.
4 coaches in 3 years.
Constant drama.
Getting overwhelmed with the bubble.
In his opinion medical mismanagement of his injury.
No contract extension.
A decision to publicly say he wants out of all this for a fresh start.

I thoroughly applaud how Essendon and Dodoro have dealt with this trade period. Professional, clear, strong and all for the betterment of the club. The swans on the other hand have been downright embarrassing and it looks like Joe is going to have to walk back into the club on day 1 of pre season with his tail between his legs.

No doubt he’ll have to work damn hard to earn the respect of the club and his teammates back but I think he’ll pull through.

Lol. Essendon FC have been leaking like a sieve to try and present a strong position, Swans however have been "downright embarrassing" by doing what exactly? Negotiating behind closed doors instead of through the media?

Cool story mate.

Isn't it the other way around since Daniher is the one who wants to leave and Bombers are desperate to keep him?

They need to convince him why he should stay when he is a RFA next year.

You may have those feelings toward Joe. And the club may have those thoughts about Joe.

Walk in a budding star.
4 years of the saga.
1 year of top-ups.
4 coaches in 3 years.
Constant drama.
No contract extension.
Don't forget Pretzels publicly calling him a lazy **** with regard to his injury managment/recovery.

Was always going to be the way.

Reckon it will end up being 5, 25 and Reid.

Have a feeling Dodo will cave at the end.

I’d be surprised, anything less than two first rounders and Essendon people will be coming for his head. Career suicide.

Walk in a budding star.
4 years of the saga.
1 year of top-ups.
4 coaches in 3 years.
Constant drama.
No contract extension.
Exactly, Essendon pretty much f***ed Joe up the arse.

As for the Swans, another bottom 4 finish beckons I’m afraid...
Lol, what horseshit. If the club and his teammates didn't respect him, he'd have been traded by now. You've literally invented a scenario wherein your club has a toxic s**t culture, and you're proud of the toxic s**t culture your club has in this invented scenario.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the gut wrenching. Having buddy spend all year planning to go to the team that had just beaten us in a GF was pretty gut wrenching too, and if we'd had him contracted I'd probably have been very happy for us to play hardball with him at the time, irrespective of his wants and his girlfriend's location. The problem with Dodoro is that people don't really see it as a protecting the club thing, but more of a Dodoro thing. That might be harsh, or even plain wrong in this situation, but that perception is something he's actively cultivated himself over the years, and while I'm sure Essendon fans love it, I'm not sure its a good perception to have out there amongst managers and players. "Well I could get you to team X or Essendon, if you don't really have a strong preference between the two, why don't we try team X if we can get a deal with them that suits you and only deal with Essendon if it falls through, because they tend to be the harder of the two teams to deal with" doesn't seem like a massively far fetched hypothetical conversation to me. I just don't think Dorodo has the runs on the board in terms of what his recruitment has produced on the field to put up with the negatives that come with his reputation and insistence on playing trades out so publicly.

Having said all that I do get Essendon fans wanting to play hard ball in this particular instance (I'm sure most fans with contracted players with strong club family ties like Daniher has would feel similarly given the same situation). I just don't think Dodoro's approach has been a good one for the club when you assess his entire body of work, and I'd be asking my club why he was still in the role if it was me, even if I agreed with the principal of not trading Joe. Less of a trade week media personality, more big bodied inside mids is one thing I'd be demanding of him if I was holding his leash at the club.

Lastly, I suspect there is a good chance they'll do a deal tomorrow. If that happens, it will be interesting to see if the posturing produces a much better deal than what the majority thought was fair value from the start. If it does, then Kudos to Dodoro.

I’d be surprised, anything less than two first rounders and Essendon people will be coming for his head. Career suicide.

Untouchable though wouldn't you say? If you are responsible for the list build, and win no finals for 15 years, but continue to survive, why would his head be on the block for accepting less than two first rounders for a player who has missed most of the last two seasons with injury? Sacking him for that after his failed list builds would seem fairly petty.

Untouchable though wouldn't you say? If you are responsible for the list build, and win no finals for 15 years, but continue to survive, why would his head be on the block for accepting less than two first rounders for a player who has missed most of the last two seasons with injury? Sacking him for that after his failed list builds would seem fairly petty.

The good will has been starting to wain already, before this period had started. The straw that broke the camels back.

Walk in a budding star.
4 years of the saga.
1 year of top-ups.
4 coaches in 3 years.
Constant drama.
No contract extension.

Didn't have issue with the club in 2017 when he was looking like the second coming of Buddy and also re-signed.

I wonder how this would go if his name wasn't Daniher?

Let's face it, his output for the last two years has been bog average.

If he is worth two first round picks, then what is a forward that plays every week and actually contributes worth? Darling, Kennedy, Brown and Hawkins must all be worth at least three first round picks going by what Essendon are asking.
I'd want 2 first round picks for Darcy Moore and it's more than just the name. Despite the fact that neither of them can get on the park, theyre the most breathtaking young talls that have come into the AFL since buddy.

You chased Daniher, despite what you say, got him to nominate your club then didn't follow through to get the deal done. You didn't even put up a half decent offer.

You have just put ALL players and Agents on alert that you will not do what it takes to get a player to your club even though you have said you will. You can not be trusted.

Good luck getting decent players to your club, a club that struggles to do so at the best of times and has players wanting to come back home.

I agree with your first paragraph but to be somewhat balanced, the asking price is ludicrous from EFC's perspective. Two top 10 picks is madness for Daniher...at this point in his career given his recent output.

Swans have mismanaged this and Essendon have played hardball (which they're entitled to do).

I still think this deal will go through for 5 & 9. The Swans however will play huge overs to get their man. Swans are looking at doing anything to get Daniher and to me that reeks of mismanagement

Here we go, the final day of this ridiculous saga (for this year anyway).

Dodoro wants the biggest trade haul in history - 2 top 10 picks plus a Heeney/Parker/Blakey type. The equivalent of about 4 first rounders for a chronically injured player.

Will the Swans bow to his insanity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back