Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s understandable from the Swans side. But Essendon are risking a huge amount with this non-deal. As usual the collateral damage will only involve the culture of the club, the morale of the playing group, the and their ability to negotiate in good faith with other clubs in future.

I tend to agree. That being said its easier to make these calls when your club has had recent success. EFC have had none and losing Joe would set them back (insert random number) years.

Yeah, wasn't Geelong's culture just derailed by refusing to trade Kelly when he desperately wanted to leave.

Joe is a big boy. He'll front up for pre-season training with the same group of boys he's been playing with for years now and he'll get on with it. Get around the Dons in 2020.

Yup, people are making a big deal out of this when it’s not really the case. Daniher will be disappointed but he will move in and rock up next season ready to play. Clubs are close knit communities. People act as if players are petulant man children who will throw tantrums.

People were saying the same last year about Kelly, about how he would refuse to play. 99% of players don’t think like that. Heck it’s in Danihers best interest to play awesome and get a pay increase regardless of where he goes.

this is the playing group that approached the club and asked them to hold Daniher, yeah?
the one led by the guy that spent a morning convincing Fantasia to stay?

Also, we got trades done with Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong and WCE out of the way this year
This on top of GWS, GCS, Dogs, Dees, Saints, Swans & Port in recent years.

I think you overestimate this "damage" you speak of

People love making s**t up..

I love it more when said s**t is called out with facts

Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’re getting mixed reports about what was actually offered but the last I heard was that they promised to do the Papley trade then pass on pick 9 and a future first.

If that’s right then that’s in my eyes more than sufficient compensation for a guy who has only really had one standout season and hasn’t played much for two years.

If Daniher comes out firing and plays his best footy then recommits Essendon will be vindicated. Essendon certainly has every right to hold him.

If he can’t get on the park again then leaves, netting them a solitary first rounder or worse then I think they’ll be kicking themselves.
Prefer the risk tbh

What's worse?
Losing a 1st rd draft pick
Losing a key forward with an AA cap who goes on to rediscover that form under a better conditioning regime (which im hoping we're getting from the Hawks guy)

If Essendon knew Sydney’s offer and they wouldn’t accept it why waste everyone’s time?

I actually have an answer to that one. Your list manager thinks that being stony, inflexible and stroppy always gets the best deal done for his club

Your just having a shot at Essendon cause hawthorn.

Day 1 dodo said a player to be involved. Swans couldn’t make it happen so we both walked away. Zero wrong with it.

We weren’t interested in getting picks in a s**t draft this year and a compromised draft next year.

I think it’s called a 3-way trade. It’s been known to happen from time to time amongst reasonable list managers.

Sydney seem to be the denominator here.

this is the playing group that approached the club and asked them to hold Daniher, yeah?
the one led by the guy that spent a morning convincing Fantasia to stay?

Also, we got trades done with Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong and WCE out of the way this year
This on top of GWS, GCS, Dogs, Dees, Saints, Swans & Port in recent years.

I think you overestimate this "damage" you speak of
“Hey Joe, I’m wrapped that you’re still here”

“Well Dyson, that makes one of us”

Prefer the risk tbh

What's worse?
Losing a key forward with an AA cap who goes on to rediscover that form under a better conditioning regime (which im hoping we're getting from the Hawks guy)
That’s fair enough.

It’ll all come out in the wash. If Sydney has a tough year next year it might have worked out as pick 9 and say pick 5 or 6. If Daniher fires you’d cop it but if he doesn’t it’s leaving a lot on the table.

I tend to agree. That being said its easier to make these calls when your club has had recent success. EFC have had none and losing Joe would set them back (insert random number) years.
answer is about 10 unless we plucked Cameron out of GWS

Time to find another KPF prospect, develop them, rebuild a list around them and make a tilt at a flag.
Assuming nothing goes wrong.

It’s understandable from the Swans side. But Essendon are risking a huge amount with this non-deal. As usual the collateral damage will only involve the culture of the club, the morale of the playing group, the and their ability to negotiate in good faith with other clubs in future.
Sometimes you need to take a risk I guess.
I am curious as to how you think we didn’t negotiate in good faith though. From all reports we were pretty straight up early on with what was required (So much so that the Swans didn’t bother offering 5+9 because they knew we’d say no, but somehow decided to offer less instead)

If Essendon knew Sydney’s offer and they wouldn’t accept it why waste everyone’s time?

I actually have an answer to that one. Your list manager thinks that being stony, inflexible and stroppy always gets the best deal done for his club

A list manager is duty bound to listen to offers.

We informed Sydney very early on not only did we have little interest in trading him but if we were to be convinced it would take a monster effort.

Sydney could have walked away then but they chose not to, thus we continued to hear what they had to offer but they never got anywhere near what it would have taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s fair enough.

It’ll all come out in the wash. If Sydney has a tough year next year it might have worked out as pick 9 and say pick 5 or 6. If Daniher fires you’d cop it but if he doesn’t it’s leaving a lot on the table.
Which may work out well for the Swans if it means its a pick ahead of where bids may come. No idea what these academy kids are like, but if they're Mills/Heeney like, one would expect an early bid. So being in front of those might work.

Unless they try again, at which point i'd expect we'll be asking for it and more (assuming Daniher isn't injured again)

I think it’s called a 3-way trade. It’s been known to happen from time to time amongst reasonable list managers.

To be fair, you and everyone can argue picks all you want but we wanted a player and that was never offered as makeweight in this deal.

The propensity to have a dig at Dodoro should look at the overall state of pla. AD asked for a player from day 1, Swans never budged on this.

Who was hard to deal with again?

You quote geelong as doing what we should've done, yet we did exactly what they did 12 months ago and we stuffed up by doing it?

You mean what Geelong did with an uncontracted player after refusing to trade him whilst under contract?
As an Eagles fan I’m staggered that you can’t see how the situations this year are not similar.

Personally I would have been happy with 5 and 9.... not that it was ever offered.

I think that is a fair counterpoint. The difference between the two situations is the difference between the two players, and also the currency available to get the trade done.

Tim Kelly had just finished his first year of AFL his trade value was more speculative as it was yet to be seen if he was going to further develop into the player he became in 2019. There was simply a difference in trade value between the two clubs. The only reason Geelong did better this year than last is that Kelly's improvement from last year was above and beyond what anyone would reasonably expect, thus increasing his trade value. That is not the case for Joe Daniher.

Joe Daniher is a known quantity and everyone knows when he is fit, up and about, he is one the games superstars. Given that Sydney have 5 and could reasonably expect to get 9, there is no reason that this trade shouldn't have gotten done. Essendon simply didn't want it to happen. It would be interesting to see if Joe nominates Sydney as his preferred club when he has RFA. Sydney won't have a better draft hand next year, and it is a compromised draft. Next years deal may be significantly less than what could have been this year.

Egg on face of Sydney on so many fronts it’s almost laughable.

Edit.

It is laughable that you groomed a guy and couldn’t get it done.

How so?

Essendon has just taken a massive risk of Daniher walking away a RFA next year and getting next to * all for it, and in the meanwhile we've retained one of the best small forwards in the comp?

Prefer the risk tbh

What's worse?

Yep, 100%

You’ve got to be in it to win it.

In this case, we’re still in the race to keep Joe, he is still on our list.

Big year and he still wants out, so be it. We’ll come back to the trade table with a proven commodity

It's interesting that 9 and the future was the offer, why not the five and future? Seems like they were trying to get him while retaining 5 which is a baffling that they thought that would get it done.
Even if they had, it sounds like 5 & 9 weren't what we were after.
At best, i had us grabbing Robertson and Kemp and bulking the middle out. But in an even draft, there's a possibility there are two decent sized mids there in the early 30s. Or we trade up. Live trading, compromised drafts and such are rendering picks rather worthless unless you are sending a stack of them (See Hill and Kelly)

Swans had to be ready to part with a player to land Daniher
Especially when they were only going to trade Papley if Daniher came in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back