Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too fussed about this outcome nor am I surprised, it was on record prior to trade week that we weren't giving up our first round pick and pretty obvious early on that Essendon where going to hold him to his contract. Truth be told I think 2-3 days into the trade period both parties knew that there wasn't going to be a deal.

I'd rather we wait another year, even if that means that we miss out on a fit Daniher than pay overs now.

It is pretty much universally acknowledged that Barrett is a complete idiot, yeah? I'm not sure why anyone would care what his opinion was about anything.

Daniher wanted to leave the Bombers and come to the Swans (the Jack Niall article makes that statement very clearly, this was Joe wanting out and approaching the Swans). We made an offer of two first round draft picks, one this year and one next year. Both in all likelihood top 10 picks. Essendon refused that offer, made it clear two first round picks was not enough. They wanted the Swans to also include a player, they had a list of players like Heeney and Blakey, players that the Swans didn't want to trade and who had given no indication that they wanted to leave the club. Players who did want to leave and return home to Victoria, Papley and Jones, were raised as options by the Swans, but these were not accepted by the Bombers. With a reasonable offer already on the table, particularly considering that it has been two years since Daniher has been able to consistently get on the field with injury concerns that continue to this day, and that he is out of contract next year and a free agent to boot, the Swans felt like they couldn't offer more. With no side of the deal willing to compromise further, no deal was reached. Daniher stays at the Bombers for twelve more months, after which we probably go through this process again, albeit this time Essendon will have less leverage than this year. Pretty simple and understandable.

What else is there for Harley to explain?

Last edited:
despite that appearing to be a rare article in which Barrett writes it, involves Essendon and we aren't satan, i'm still not clicking

Swans well within their rights to approach and not pay more than they wanted to
As Dons were well within their rights not to trade a contracted player.

Maybe if he and his ilk didn't turn what was a perfectly normal exchange of picks and players into a tired, drawn out cringe worthy wank fest, he'd have less to whine about.

Barrett is a legitimate sh*tstain. Complaining that we wouldn't up our offer all week, yet suggesting we should give back pick 25 for Papley. Absolute moron and I still have literally no idea why he's given a platform.

He's a journalist, not a ******* expert. It's ridiculous that for two weeks we've had to have his bullshit opinions forced down our throats if we just wanted to keep up with what was going on.

From a supporter of a club that just trade a contracted Aish even though he was happy to stay at Collingwood.

I don't understand this whole idea that people seem to think player nominating a club while in contract is somehow too much power in players favour. AFL is moving towards increasing player movement. Clubs are happy to trade players if they think it is in their interest, contracted or not.

The player always has to agree to it though. Aish was offered 3 years at freo and only had 1 guaranteed at Collingwood. So he chose to take the better deal. Was well within his rights to stay and see out his contract.

Reckon fans of both sides are happy the way it has turned out.

Swans didnt overpay
Essendon held onto Joe for another year.
And I bet his manager isn’t too fussed, probably happy in fact and maybe even Joe who knows?
All this has $eriou$ potential to add some big dollars to his next contract no matter where he plays if he has a good season in 2020 and it wouldn’t even surprise me if that was part of the tentative carrot they dangled to Sydney.
No doubt he would have his head around going to Sydney and would happily have done so, but will not lose sleep staying at Essendon despite what the fantasists say. They’d have known Sydney were pretty limited in what they could realistically offer too and they’d have been pretty half arsed about it as it proved to be.
All leaves Joe in a pretty good position if his lick finally turns and it should.

I’ll certainly agree with that. I legitimately thought the trade would get done.
Still don’t quite understand why Sydney were considering the risk in the first place. Would have been a lot of money tied to 2 big key forwards with injury risks.

I can understand the Swans wanting Daniher. I think most supporters (across all clubs) have forgotten how good Daniher is when fit. He is a genuine gun (who can't kick straight but let's let that go for the time being).

I also understand EFC's position in pushing hard for what was it...2 first round picks or a top ten and a very good player in return. They forced the Swans hand and the Swans didn't go through with it.

I said it earlier in this thread but if the Swans gave away 2 top 10 picks, they would have been the laughing stock of the AFL. They would have been negligent in their duties of running the club and would have smacked of desperation.

He is worth a first round pick with a second thrown in given he was contracted.

I don't think the clubs will lose too much sleep over this. They'll move on pretty quickly. Unlike most of the posters on here who will carry this for some time.

View attachment 766181

Not sure how this one's gonna turn out, but The Great Man read the Essendon room right again.....i think.

He'll be quietly proud of holding firm on Joe......but he'll be absolutely pumped with his newest outside flanker from Brissy.

LOL

Great pic and yes another player who is a tall flanker ... never able to develop into an inside mid and not explosive enough to be an effective forward.

Having said that a lot of those types not working out at Essendon has a lot to do with development at the club. Since 2006 he hasn't had Sheedy interfering and he's built two potential lists. We all know what happened to the first one.

It will be like getting back with your ex that you hate & having to pretend you love them for a year.

The only mistake made here is by the Bombers. He still wants out & could all get nasty. Looking forward to some of Barrett's articles about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great thread this one. Never got out of hand and good fun :thumbsu:
Short of perhaps some dwarf burning or a kinky sex scandal, a hostile player raid is about as good a distraction from the daily grind as u get.
Joe is at a lowpoint. Timing is right.
We (The Vultures) are circling.

Damn good offer put on the table for a bloke with his record.

Joe might now be pissed with BOTH clubs. Who knows.
Look after him, at least until the vultures gather again next year.

I don’t think they should be putting Charlie Gardiner in front of a camera for a while. Oh dear.

As much as the media’s Dodoro slurping is incredibly obnoxious, he was clear about what he wanted and stayed the course. I’d want that from my teams list manager if it were my team.

No, I just mean they were never seriously interested in a trade. Neither were we, for that matter. Remember it was Daniher (or more realistically, his agent), not us, driving the request to be traded. Perhaps bad faith is too strong. Jake Niall's piece sums it up quite well, I think this is just one of those situations where both parties were probably better served by NOT doing a deal:

get your hand off it..

You groomed Joe that a trade will get done and Dodoro got his wish. He was straight up and very early from all reports. Sydney were the ones wanting this trade to get done but couldn't come up to the reserve asking price.

It's all good to back peddle but the reality is Sydney have egg on there face NOT Joe or Essendon in this case.

It is pretty much universally acknowledged that Barrett is a complete idiot, yeah? I'm not sure why anyone would care what his opinion was about anything.

Daniher wanted to leave the Bombers and come to the Swans (the Jack Niall article makes that statement very clearly, this was Joe wanting out and approaching the Swans). We made an offer of two first round draft picks, one this year and one next year. Both in all likelihood top 10 picks. Essendon refused that offer, made it clear two first round picks was not enough. They wanted the Swans to also include a player, they had a list of players like Heeney and Blakey, players that the Swans didn't want to trade and who had given no indication that they wanted to leave the club. Players who did want to leave and return home to Victoria, Papley and Jones, were raised as options by the Swans, but these were not accepted by the Bombers. With a reasonable offer already on the table, particularly considering that it has been two years since Daniher has been able to consistently get on the field with injury concerns that continue to this day, and that he is out of contract next year and a free agent to boot, the Swans felt like they couldn't offer more. With no side of the deal willing to compromise further, no deal was reached. Daniher stays at the Bombers for twelve more months, after which we probably go through this process again, albeit this time Essendon will have less leverage than this year. Pretty simple and understandable.

What else is there for Harley to explain?

To be fair, I'm sick of these "journalists" creating nothing stories. Yeah the swans scrwed up but how about report on what happened and not creating a story!!

FFS the media in this country are pathetic

To be fair, I'm sick of these "journalists" creating nothing stories. Yeah the swans scrwed up but how about report on what happened and not creating a story!!

We didn't get Daniher because the asking price was more than we were willing to pay, which was a pretty substantial amount.

Did we screw up? Should we have offered more?

Only time will tell.

Maybe Joe has a great year in 2020, he signs back on with Essendon for a few years and we rue not having gone a little bit harder to get him to us. Maybe his fitness issues continue and we end up happy that we kept out draft picks and aren't saddled with a big contract on an injured player. Maybe he finds fitness again but still ends up coming across to us in 2021 via a trade or free agency for less than we were offering this year.

The only thing that is certain is that a player looking to make a move out of the Melbourne fishbowl is going to have all eyes on him for the next 12 months.

I see what u did there ;)

Barrett will simply pander to whichever club he thinks might give him access. He knows that aint Sydney/GWS/Bris/WCE/Fre
All the media posturing was worthless.
That scab changed his mind depending on who was sitting next to him. Now he wants to write some more clickbait ?
"Its way unders. Yeah its about right i agree. Should offer more. Looks about right "
Noone ever takes him seriously.

From a supporter of a club that just trade a contracted Aish even though he was happy to stay at Collingwood.

I don't understand this whole idea that people seem to think player nominating a club while in contract is somehow too much power in players favour. AFL is moving towards increasing player movement. Clubs are happy to trade players if they think it is in their interest, contracted or not.

And Aish could have held them to the contract if he wished

Remove this Banner Ad

Back