Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys were the winners in this. This way you get to draft two kids and get a year into them. Pay Buddy out as much as you can this year to clear space. Make a stupid offer to Danniher next year that Essendon could not possibly match and take him then after seeing if Danniher can get on park and if it is actually worth doing.

If he doesn't want to come anymore so be it. Throw stupid money at someone else.

Knocking back 5 and 9 is the dummest thing I have ever seen. No one has ever been traded for that much.
Unfortunately we can't adjust our Buddy payment schedule due to FA rules, but we can for everyone else. Should definitely have a warchest next year.

Unfortunately we can't adjust our Buddy payment schedule due to FA rules, but we can for everyone else. Should definitely have a warchest next year.
Yeah this is the other side of the Daniher scenario and why Harley and co maybe were extra keen on this year. Uncertainty around Joe’s body means they can renegotiate if he breaks down, if he comes as an FA based on us not matching you’re stuck with another potential albatross around your neck

Here's where it's hard to take certain people seriously.

That was on October 7. Dodoro's priority was to keep the playing list together.

Why then did he spend the next 9 days talking to Sydney about trading someone on the playing list?

He was either wasting everyone's time or trying to get an unreasonable payload.
Then when he couldn't land a deal the media team are like "well we didn't want to trade him anyway."

I reckon they did want to trade him. Tried to get the King's ransom and now they're stuck with a player that doesn't want to be there and the challenge of "getting Joe to fall back in love with the club"

You mean he continued to listen to Sydney’s offers as is his responsibility as list manager?

"Semantics" is an interesting way of saying "being called out for posting baseless assumptions as fact".
He was arguing the point that Sydney hadn’t targeted a contracted player because apparently joe was the one driving the trade. Sydney were still trying to bring in a contracted player, hence semantics. Not sure where cummerspeck got this info on who target who from, I’m sure it wouldn’t be a baseless assumption.

He was arguing the point that Sydney hadn’t targeted a contracted player because apparently joe was the one driving the trade. Sydney were still trying to bring in a contracted player, hence semantics. Not sure where cummerspeck got this info on who target who from, I’m sure it wouldn’t be a baseless assumption.
After talking with them the last 2 pages, I wouldn't be so sure.

Here's where it's hard to take certain people seriously.

That was on October 7. Dodoro's priority was to keep the playing list together.

Why then did he spend the next 9 days talking to Sydney about trading someone on the playing list?

He was either wasting everyone's time or trying to get an unreasonable payload.
Then when he couldn't land a deal the media team are like "well we didn't want to trade him anyway."

I reckon they did want to trade him. Tried to get the King's ransom and now they're stuck with a player that doesn't want to be there and the challenge of "getting Joe to fall back in love with the club"
Looks like the ego of dodoro got in the way of making a reasonable deal

You mean he continued to listen to Sydney’s offers as is his responsibility as list manager?
Jesus man, if that's how you want to paint it go ahead.
But what I've posted shows that Dodoro either wasted his, and Sydney's (and indirectly, Carlton's) time for 10 days or he didn't get the deal done that he was holding out for. Either way he wasted a lot of time.
If that's his responsibility as list manager then he's clearly one of the best.

Yeah that was one aspect of his analysis. I think it was deliberately framed the way it was so to call it semantics is disingenuous.
Yeah this is the other side of the Daniher scenario and why Harley and co maybe were extra keen on this year. Uncertainty around Joe’s body means they can renegotiate if he breaks down, if he comes as an FA based on us not matching you’re stuck with another potential albatross around your neck
To an extent, but I still think we were targeting him for next year. We didn't show much urgency and not sure why we would fluff draft picks when we don't need to. The speculation forced our hand IMO.

Buddy only has one more really pricey year after next year IIRC.

But what I've posted shows that Dodoro either wasted his, and Sydney's (and indirectly, Carlton's) time for 10 days or he didn't get the deal done that he was holding out for. Either way he wasted a lot of time.
how did what you post show this? I think your Essendon hate is clouding your judgement. He was clear that he did not want to trade joe, and that only a like for like replacement player would do. Sydney refused or weren’t able to offer this. How is it that they weren’t the ones who should have walked away and not wasted time?

This makes zero sense
Sorry, thought the argument was with another Dons poster.

I think you deliberately framed it the way you did (Sydney targetting Daniher when he seems to want Sydney just as bad), so calling Kummerspeck's post "semantics" is disingenuous. It would be consistent with your posting re Harley, so excuse me for struggling to believe you when you call it semantics.

Sorry, thought the argument was with another Dons poster.

I think you deliberately framed it the way you did (Sydney targetting Daniher when he seems to want Sydney just as bad), so calling Kummerspeck's post "semantics" is disingenuous. It would be consistent with your posting re Harley, so excuse me for struggling to believe you when you call it semantics.
Ok well regardless there’s a lot of speculation and assumptions going on, which is pretty natural seeing as this is a forum for discussion. I do believe Harley lied about not talking to joe about coming to Sydney when they met during the year. Do you think he’s telling the truth about how it went down? If so do you think joe was telling the truth when he said a few weeks back the only way he would leave Essendon is if they didn’t want him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good 2016, excellent 2017, barely played 2018 or 2019 with injury.

Is Daniher a guaranteed band 1 free agent if he leaves? If he has another poor/interrupted season I can see him sliding into band 2 territory - which Essendon would not accept.

I personally think his 2016 is underrated. Essendon were horrible that year and moved the ball at treacle pace up the field over possessing the ball in the back half to try and limit opposition scores. That sort of game plan makes it very hard for a key forward especially when he was the only decent key forward in the side.

This is not my read of what happened at all. The way I think it went down is Sydney put in their best offer pretty early in the piece and from there it was a stand off with no side willing to budge.

So, not a fact that they offered players then.
No, it is. Tom Harley said they offered players and named them.

I implied nothing. You didn't understand or didn't read what I wrote.
So why did you leave out the fact that Sydney did offer players, as per one of the people involved in the negotiations?

Yes you're slowly getting it. Sydney continued to offer picks - not really sure why you're arguing that they didn't (never did I say only - they are your words)
Yes, they continued to offer picks AND players. You left that out in your original post when it's a pretty important piece of information.

This is not my read of what happened at all. The way I think it went down is Sydney put in their best offer pretty early in the piece and from there it was a stand off with no side willing to budge.
I think they put in a few offers (at least 3). But all offers fell short. I think they spent a lot of time 'exploring' players, but nothing came of it.

Ok well regardless there’s a lot of speculation and assumptions going on, which is pretty natural seeing as this is a forum for discussion.
Yeah, but not many people make specific statements about what was said to who as fact.
'
I didn't make any statements or arguments about who targeted who. Just pointed out that you would have no clue about it

No, it is. Tom Harley said they offered players and named them.
They didn't offer players. They offered one player, Papley. No other players had been willing to go / nor were offered.
"We didn't offer players up other than Tom Papley, who wanted to go and we were willing to help facilitate that.

Yes, they continued to offer picks AND players. You left that out in your original post when it's a pretty important piece of information.
No, they offered picks, one player, and did a lot of 'exploring'. I said they continued to offer picks, even on the last day, full well knowing that picks were not going to get the deal done. People can point the finger at Dodoro all they like, but he asked for a player and not picks - the closest deal he got to that was Papley.

Yeah, but not many people make specific statements about what was said to who as fact.
'
I didn't make any statements or arguments about who targeted who. Just pointed out that you would have no clue about it
I honestly can't even remember what we were arguing about. You'd have to admit that Harley has taken a pretty big hit to his credibility though. In your opinion, do you think he was telling the truth about not talking to Joe about moving to Sydney when they met during the year?

Did they?

Harley named Papley and Jones. Are we really to believe that Papley AND Jones were going to just switch their preferences late in the trade period after publicly declaring for other teams?

Harley is in damage control because he knows the Vic Media is going to go very hard on him for the next 12 months. (Which I personally think is unfair)
Are we really to believe Harley about anything related to this trade??

I think they put in a few offers (at least 3). But all offers fell short. I think they spent a lot of time 'exploring' players, but nothing came of it.

Which is fine. I don’t get why there is animosity between the two sets of supporters. Clubs set the price on contracted players. Jack Martin wanted to come to Essendon last year GC flat out said no. Lachie Weller cost GC pick 2 while he was contracted which was massive overs.

Obviously not trading Daniher could backfire for Essendon but neither side acted in bad faith imo.

I honestly can't even remember what we were arguing about.
You wrote some fan fiction about what Sydney had said to Daniher and Essendon then claimed that it meant that Harley was incompetent. I pointed out that you'd just made stuff up and you claimed it as statement of fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back